Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 08:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario View Post
Also, none of the cops are interested in stoping the violations that happens in road everyday.
Rather they want the violation to happen so that they can harass them.
For instance if you could see after every "NO free left" board a bunch of police men would stand to twist their arms. like a predator waiting for its prey to fall inside the trap.
Exactly, they have more or less become Fine collectors rather than law enforcers. Driving on Indian roads is more of a cat and mouse game, everyone trying to avoid them, as one has to pay regardless. Violation or no violation.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:07   #32
BHPian

Safety in India ? Big NO.

Why ? Most of us don't care the consequences, we think this happens to other person, the other person dies, we are immortal, unless and until it doesn't happens to us we don't care, we don't learn from others example, we have become short sighted, we are in tremendous hurry, no patience left, don't know where to reach, and even after reaching what we have earned, it is easy to advice and blame others, when we are in car, we blames the bikers and when we are on bike, most of us do the same thing.

PS : No offense to anyone, this are my personal views and observation.
Old 8th October 2009, 13:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

I would say that corruption is also a big issue involved here. The gas agency and the traffic police are well aware that domestic LPG cylinders are being used in auto rickshaws, but they turn a blind eye to this issue because their hands have been greased appropriately.

And its not just the lower end of the hierarchy that is corrupt, the whole system stinks of corruption. These kind of practices cannot be carried out without the approval of the higher ups.

When the whole law enforcement system has become corrupt, the only entity that can overpower it is the media. But somehow Indian media also doesn't care about the common man, they care only about their revenues and TRPs. They repeatedly keep broadcasting breaking news/spicy gossips and totally ignore the everyday issues faced by the common man.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 8th October 2009, 13:58   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic (which ensure a constant speed limit in the city) is the only major safety measure in India.

On a serious note.

1) Strictly use Seat belts in my cars, and even make the rear passengers wear them
2) I also stictly ensure that my infant child is almost always in his car seat while we drive. He is now 9 months and I have already had to upgrade the car seat.
3) Choose a car with Airbags, ABS, ESP etc. when I went for an upgrade.
4) Drive assuming someone will jump out from the divider any moment.
5) Check tyre pressure every week/ fuel refill.
6) Avoid talking on the phone while driving, or use the bluetooth rarely.
7) Take a break every 2 hrs on highway driving.
8) Overtake from the Right - unless there is a neard up ahead.
etc. etc.

So safety is there for those who enforse it upon themselves, but obvilously not for all, also I still had 4 accidents this year.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ ACM

What we can ensure from our end is that we drive safe, but who is to ensure that the other guy does not cross over and bang me? Its obviously the fear of strict law enforcement - which is sadly lacking in every part of India.
4 accidents in one year is quite a high number!
Old 8th October 2009, 17:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

My father (Saying of Thad's Dad) used to tell me, "Never forget that 50% of all accidents are the other person's fault".

We should drive defensively, instead we choose to drive offensively
Old 14th October 2009, 09:55   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@ ACM

What we can ensure from our end is that we drive safe, but who is to ensure that the other guy does not cross over and bang me? Its obviously the fear of strict law enforcement - which is sadly lacking in every part of India.
4 accidents in one year is quite a high number!
Let me rephrase,

4 in 1 year (2009) - 6 in 15 years including the 4 this year. However good the prior record, it took just 1 year to spoil it. Was regarded the best driver in the friends, family and colleague circle till this year spoilt the record.

As some one said 50% of the accidents are someone elses fault, but in my case 5 out of the 6 were someone elses fault, and the one that was my fault was a simple demolision of my rear view mirror against a plint pillar in a new parking location.

I guess one needs to learn and move on.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Guys can you beat this:

I was coming from Satara through NH4. Near the Khambataki ghat, there is a tunnel for traffic going to Pune (This tunnel is a one way). I was approaching this tunnel at around 90 on a bright sunny day. Suddenly I spotted a yellow light. I thought there is some vehicle inside the tunnel with broken tail lamp because this tunnel is "One way". I was shocked when I saw a two wheeler coming out of tunnel in the right most lane. I had to slow down and change the lane immediately. I thank god that I was about 100 feet away from tunnel when this happened.

I was speechless for about half an hour. I kept on thinking what would have happened if I would have reached this tunnel 10 sec earlier.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:15   #39
BHPian

Safe Driving, A Conservative Term?

Guys,
I beg to differ here, When we say 90% times it was not our fault but the "other person(s)". Aren't we being partial. What is right kind of driving? ACM said it right here, seat belts, ABS, Airbags, Check Tyre Pressure, etc. But these are good driving norms. SAFE driving in my view is Driving per Country-City-Area, mental & Physical condition. That means, I cannot drive the way in India, the way I use to drive in US. I cannot drive in Nambia or Kabul the way I drove in US(may be India too!).

In India safe driving is driving in non aggressive condition. Let's not be aggressive while driving. Lets not be Physical while driving (that would mean giving middle finger to other cars!!, seriously try that in Texas, and you'll see what I mean). The way I choose driving is I pick the lane (most of the time right) and drive at a comfertable speed (60KMPH most of the time).
But thats me, may or may not be the SAFE way!.
Cheers!
Old 14th October 2009, 10:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

1. Safety is a relative concept in India.
  2. there are rules and regulations, but none of them are followed.
  3. who is correct on the road is directly proportionate to the 'pehchan' one has.
  4. golden rule no. 1 in a pedestrian - bike accident, the biker is at fault
  5. golden rule no. 2 In a bike - car accident the car is at fault
  6. golden rule no. 3 in a pedestrian - car accident the car is at fault
  7. there is no right or wrong about driving in India.
cheers,
ac
Old 14th October 2009, 12:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Guys,
I beg to differ here, When we say 90% times it was not our fault but the "other person(s)". Aren't we being partial. What is right kind of driving?
The point of my father's saying, fifty percent of accidents are the other person's fault, was that it is not enough to drive carefully, or to obey the rules, even; we must drive defensively, and always try to take account of what might happen, of what the other guy might do.

Driving should be one long string of what-ifs.

Safety can only be achieved by recognising risk.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The point of my father's saying, fifty percent of accidents are the other person's fault, was that it is not enough to drive carefully, or to obey the rules, even; we must drive defensively, and always try to take account of what might happen, of what the other guy might do.

Driving should be one long string of what-ifs.

Safety can only be achieved by recognising risk.
I AGREE ! You made the right point
Old 14th October 2009, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Guys - any systemic problem will take time to change, more so a humongous problem called as "traffic lawlessness" in this developing country. The problem is not just related to traffic and stems from many things like lack of education, discipline, pride, awareness, corruption all inter twined to create a monster. Discussing this only from a road sense perspective does not give the entire picture right?

I do not agree with any of the thoughts here that people do not value their life. I think indians value their life like anyone else. The only rage you see among indians happens to be on the roads (you know we are a cowardly nation when it comes to rest of the matters).

Let me give you some examples to illustrate my points

1. My boss who happens to be a senior pro (I mean really really senior) and a very senior colleague, who have seen the world, drive like illiterates on road. I have queried them quite a few times on this and all you get is a

2. I am hoping the metro will reduce atleast 25% of the road raffic problems in Bangalore when it is fully functional. But am sure at the same it will lead to a familiar problem we all know i.e. people will rush like crazy and you will be struggling to get in and out of the train (matter of discipline), reserved seats will be occupied, spitting, paan etc.. hmmm

So let's give ourselves some more time and see how well we transform as a nation.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:56   #44
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

To add to my earlier post,

Driving slow does not necessarly mean safe driving, all my accidents ( and there are a few as mentioned by me in earlier posts.) have occured while I was dirving slow and iffy, faster drives have been safer (touch a lot of wood.

God has been kind, what would have happened at higher speeds he alone knows.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
See in India every thing is Gods will and preordained. Our basic rules

1. Our fate (Karma) decides everything. We have no role to play.
2. Accidents always happen to the other guy.
3. God is Indian!!
Expanding on the above theme…

Why it’s stupid to have the brakes serviced;
A truck or bus owner has some hundreds to spend on maintenance this year.
Should he invest in having the brakes overhauled?
Perhaps a valve grind on the engine?
New tyres?
Or just have a good puja performed by the village priest?

Well, obviously the valve grind might save some fuel and oil, but probably the mechanic will just pocket the money.
What use are tyres if the brakes fail?
Good brakes won’t save the day if a tyre bursts.
A puja, on the other hand, will take care of everything, along with any upcoming health problems and possible curses from competitors.

Only a fool would waste his money on brakes.

Most Viewed