Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 23:04   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
  1. Safety is a relative concept in India. .... ......
All of your points are simply "bitter truth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Driving should be one long string of what-ifs.
Well put Thad. My dad tells me "ANTICIPATE" or even conclude that he will jump right in front of you. Being Defensive does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

I do not agree with any of the thoughts here that people do not value their life. I think indians value their life like anyone else. The only rage you see among indians happens to be on the roads (you know we are a cowardly nation when it comes to rest of the matters).

Let me give you some examples to illustrate my points
I too agree that no one drives to hit other vehicles or people. But the point is, at least from what I have observed, we, the people different from the average Indian driver, get a lot of thought process involved in our driving. Driving is something like a daily mission for us. It has a goal. Drive safe and reach safe. We concentrate hard and that is making us worrry.

But, the average driver does not care about these. He knows the function of 3 pedals, he points his vehicle when he sees the road. He brakes when some thing makes him stop. He moves when he sees other vehicles coming close or across. He does not concentrate too hard. There are a lot of other things on his mind, so he is not worried about his car/bike or his driving.

I was asking one of my senior colleagues, at what speeds you shift gears ? He said, "I never look at the speedo while driving. Its all by instinct. There is a gap, I move if not I stop". I was only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
To add to my earlier post,

Driving slow does not necessarly mean safe driving, all my accidents ( and there are a few as mentioned by me in earlier posts.) have occured while I was dirving slow and iffy, faster drives have been safer (touch a lot of wood.
Precisely. I do not want everyone overtaking me. It is a red carpet welcome to trouble.
Old 31st October 2009, 19:02   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

If this plea to the court succeeds, then there is no hope:

Quote:
Writ plea filed to defend kite flying

CHENNAI: A writ petition has been filed in the Madras High Court seeking a direction to the Chennai Police not to interfere with the sport of kite flying and the sale of kites and thread.
The full article from today's The Hindu -->Here.
Quote:
... Hundreds of persons in and around Chennai earned a livelihood by selling kites. The sport was not possible without the ‘maanja’ thread procured from Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh.

... ... ...

The petitioner said accidents were part and parcel of human life. ...
It might be remembered that recently it was in the news that two had died and five were injured, either falling off roofs, or by getting the string across the neck. Whilst it could be argued that many, many more lives would be saved by enforcing laws concerning seat belts, helmets and vehicle overloading, it is ridiculous to assert that the kite risk should persist just because some people make a living from it. On the same logic, many illegal activities should be legalised immediately.

Sorry, guys, but I have to admit that there are moments when I find living in India depressing.
Old 31st October 2009, 20:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If this plea to the court succeeds, then there is no hope:

The full article from today's The Hindu -->Here.

It might be remembered that recently it was in the news that two had died and five were injured, either falling off roofs, or by getting the string across the neck. Whilst it could be argued that many, many more lives would be saved by enforcing laws concerning seat belts, helmets and vehicle overloading, it is ridiculous to assert that the kite risk should persist just because some people make a living from it. On the same logic, many illegal activities should be legalised immediately.

Sorry, guys, but I have to admit that there are moments when I find living in India depressing.
I beg to differ with you on this - kite flying is a sport and a pastime for many, and unless you get really really careless about the stuff, it's perfectly safe to venture into kite flying, with or without the manja on the twine.
Traditionally kite flying has been a kind of group activity involving intense rivalries, and people getting too engrossed in the rivalry and overlooking unsafe spots have been victims of this otherwise harmless pastime.
Old 31st October 2009, 20:12   #49
BHPian

People cannot walk, how will they drive?

When you are in ATM, the person waiting in line tries to get inside first when you are about to exit. Same thing in the Lift.

I have to ask them to wait and let me get out first.

And yes, I am not scared to say that you could be that same person who is trying to rush in first.
Old 31st October 2009, 20:36   #50
BHPian

To add..

In the supermarket most Indian people will block the isles with their trolleys. Park it on the side please.

While walking, they will stop suddenly, and you end up bumping into them.

Same thing on the road.
Old 31st October 2009, 22:52   #51
BHPian

Theres always "who cares" and " no one can question me" kind of attitudes in Indians. The other day I was driving my bike to a nearby reliance fresh, and to my surprise a guy had parked his bike right on the middle of the road and had gone to near by pan wala for a smoke. Cars started piling up on both sides of the road and this guy is smoking not even caring for others. First we need to learn to respect others. Next we need to empathize with others and put ourselves in their situation and realize the difficulties.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Theres always "who cares" and " no one can question
me" kind of attitudes in Indians.

This is the biggest problem and add to that our legal system + corruption.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:41   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I beg to differ with you on this - kite flying is a sport and a pastime for many, and unless you get really really careless about the stuff, it's perfectly safe to venture into kite flying, with or without the manja on the twine.
Traditionally kite flying has been a kind of group activity involving intense rivalries, and people getting too engrossed in the rivalry and overlooking unsafe spots have been victims of this otherwise harmless pastime.
Driving is pretty safe, unless one is careless.

Of course, by the same logic, one could say that, as people are careless, then driving should be banned.

What we do do, is to ban children from driving. Now... how much safer is darting around rooftops, and how much sense of responsibility can one expect of a child with a sharpened string? I'm all for the ban --- just as I am for the ban on smoking in public, and for the road safety measures that I mentioned in my previous post.

I remember getting a fishing line across my neck in a boat once. The line did not harm, and I got it off in time. I was horribly concious that there was a hook heading my way.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:23   #54
BHPian

I do notice that many people close both there ORVMs while driving the reason being the fact that he values the ORVM more than his own life.ORVMs are one of the most basic safety feature in a car which prevents you from hurting yourself or others during the processes of lane change or overtaking. I think the govt. should make the provision of both (left & right) ORVMs mandatory in all vehicles.

While doing my driving test in Dubai my instructor used to tell me that most people fail in their tests because they never follow the proper mirror and shoulder check during a lane change.(RVM-ORVM-Shoulder-RVM)

Also the driving test in India (at least in Kerala) is sort of like a formality, they just make you do an "H" or "8" and you are done with it. They never take time to check whether you are able to drive. The "H" test is just a parking test by international standards, many institutes make their students only do the "H" routine so as to ensure a pass.A road test if ever there, is just a 100m sprint.
Old 1st November 2009, 15:52   #55
BHPian

Yesterday Night, street light were off. The Road was pitch dark. The road is perfectly straight for about 3 kms. As I was driving my bike at 60 kmph, I saw a single light coming from the opposite direction. Thinking, it as a two wheeler, I changed the light to low beam and continued riding. When the light came closer, I realised that it was not two wheeler, but a truck with only the right head light on. The other head light on. Luckily, I managed to slow down and avoid the truck.

There are other vehicles, that has only one headlight, behind no brake lights nor indicators going at reckless speed in night. You have only split seconds to decide. And pity there is no law.
Old 1st November 2009, 20:22   #56
BHPian

I have got these videos from You Tube. Just watch and see how people carelessly cross the Railway Tracks. They don't even see left or right, just blindly cross the railway track. A daily common scene.

Old 1st November 2009, 20:30   #57
BHPian

I think the only Problem with India is Law Enforcers (they are not only traffic police people)

Why we are all blaming attitude of general public?
Are we Indians born with wrong attitude? Hell No.
OR Developed country people are born with good attitude.

The Indians who live abroad follow all the rules and their attitude becomes just right when they are in a foreign country. And the same Indians when came back to India adapt the old habits. Why, because it is difficult to Drive, park the car, walk following all the rules. There is no place for pedestrians in our country.

There are rules but they are not being enforced. In our countries also, people want to drive fast; people want to cover distances in least possible time. But there are law enforcers who are there, so people follow the laid down rules.

In India, If I jump a red light and some officers caught me also either I will either pay few rupees to the officer or some 200-300 Rs as fine. This exercise will keep on repeating on an infinite loop.
They are not going to ban me from driving or revoke my License.
Many people are driving without license and proper car papers also. No body stops them.

I know I am also not saint. I also breaks law but I try my very best not to. And whenever I break some rule. Please fine me. I will accept it wholeheartedly

But law enforcers have to become consistent in fining people, not just once in a blue moon.

Many times happened the person driving ahead of me is driving very carelessly, applying sudden brakes, doing zig zags, not giving side any way. After I while I discovers that the driver is talking on mobile all the time. I feel scared that this person is going to cause accident and if I hit him I will be held responsible as I hit him from behind.

After seeing these cases I feel what the heck why there is no body to stop these people. Why Why traffic police don't install Cctv do more random checks and put more heavy fines, suspend licenses, revoke licenses.

Problem is not the people who are breaking law; problem is that nobody is stopping them from breaking law.
Old 1st November 2009, 20:56   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I was asking one of my senior colleagues, at what speeds you shift gears ? He said, "I never look at the speedo while driving. Its all by instinct
What's wrong with this? How does looking at the speedometer while shifting add more safety?
Old 1st November 2009, 21:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

To be practical, never believe in any rules(that others will follow), go on using common sense, intuition and imagination-the survival of the fittest.

For example, in the second video when the car coming from the right had zipped past the track, he would have made a miraculous escape.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's wrong with this? How does looking at the speedometer while shifting add more safety?
May be he was talking about the gear change speeds specified in the car manuals.

There is a friend of mine who checks tachometer when he goes for a gear change and he finds it real difficult to drive an alto or an 800.

when I drive do follow my instincts during a gear change

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks