Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 09:14   #1
BHPian

Airbag Warning Light In Innova Lit Up: Update - Issue Resolved

2006 Innova V. Warranty ended last night.

Sure enough this morning the check airbags light comes on. Car has not been hit.

Will be going to the dealership, but wanted to check if any innova owners in the group have been through this.

Thanks
Old 4th November 2009, 10:16   #2
BHPian

Your problem is that you have an innova, and very few people have had any problems with them, and hence such a huge lag in getting an answer.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Your problem is that you have an innova, and very few people have had any problems with them, and hence such a huge lag in getting an answer.
@an_and: My problem still is that I have a lit airbag light on my innova. I am not normally a snappy person but such answers are of very little value. Trust you will understand.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:25   #4
BHPian

Couple of reasons :

1. Wiring from the sensors could have been damaged . Rat bite ? Have a check
2. Sensors not responding to gather speed data to be sent to control module
3. Pneumatic module conked off, Cannot think the reason for it to happen.
4. Connectors from the sensor wires to the control module got damaged.

Did you by chance recently do anything in the engine bay ?

What will be done when you go to the workshop is that they will connect a diagnostic/scan tool to dig out the error codes, which is resulting in the ABS light to be ON.

Do check the codes personally. Each code has a parallel description. Talk to workshop personnel as to what the codes mean. It might be for any of the 4 wheels. Sometimes, it possible that they can repair the damage done or you might have to replace the various components. GET A COMPONENT PERSON TO DIAGNOSE. ITS A VERY SENSITIVE EQUIPMENT to deal with.

Let us know what you have learnt in the workshop
Old 4th November 2009, 18:28   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most definitely a bad sensor or wiring issue. Do have it checked up by Toyota ASAP. As things stand, with the warning lights showing up, your airbags will not deploy if & when you need them too.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota will probably cover an extra day of warranty for this issue. Please insist that this be taken care of under warranty. Write to them if needed. As GTO said, it is either a sensor problem or related to wiring - my feeling is this is something minor - cleaning up the connections should sort out the issue. The salt and sand on your last trip may be doing something somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
...resulting in the ABS light to be ON.
It's the airbag light, not the ABS light.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th November 2009 at 20:26.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:57   #7
BHPian

Update: Broken spiral cable which connects to Air bag assembly. Cost only Rs 8000 plus.

Went in the evening (after driver took car in the morning).
Spent an hour talking to service manager about team-bhp, cars, reputation, skoda, dealership life, the junior trainee and everything under the sun(after bawling and refusing to speak to a nincompoop junior service advisor for many reasons).

He had it rechecked and scanner came back with same results. He is on vacation rest of the week and will follow up on Monday with Toyota about coverage.

Joke/Sad part of the day: After all is said and done, the junior guy gives me a piece of paper and says" "sir please fill in feedback for me".
I look at him and say: "for your own good, please take this paper away from me. You do not want me to fill it"
His face lights up and says: "Thank you sir"...sigh!

@GTO: Yes. In this state the airbags will not deploy
@SS_Traveller: Waiting for service manager to 'revert' back before 'expediting' communication with toyota. (I love these terms!)

Last edited by genesis : 4th November 2009 at 21:03.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Update: Broken spiral cable which connects to Air bag assembly. Cost only Rs 8000 plus.
That's an electric cable? Connecting the airbag assy to the bumper sensors? And any explanations re how it broke? 8K - wow!
Old 4th November 2009, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That's an electric cable? Connecting the airbag assy to the bumper sensors? And any explanations re how it broke? 8K - wow!
About breaking, he said that it sometimes snaps and leaves an open circuit. No real explanation. I think it looks something like this

http://mobile.pirate4x4.com/forum/at...4&d=1215449395

More gyan (not innova) is here

http://dutch.northwestmr2.com/Toyota...Inspection.pdf
Old 5th November 2009, 10:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why did you have to pay for it if it snapped on its own? I know you're outside the warranty period but this is a bit silly. 8k saved if it had happened one day earlier.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:56   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Man, as luck would have it, I bet you've only just run out of your warranty period (2006 car + 3 year Toyota warranty). That's the thing with the Japs. 99.99% reliable, but when you need parts, they are killer expensive.

I'm pretty sure that your service advisor would be in a position to get this replaced free of cost. Or at the least, a discounted rate. After all, its a freak failure.

Quote:
His face lights up and says: "Thank you sir"
Old 5th November 2009, 17:19   #12
DRC
BHPian

I do not see anything worng with pricing the cable 8K. After all it is a safety critical part and should have undergone rigorous test cycles and incurred engineerring costs. However, I think Toyota should have replaced it free of cost and also look into the issue of failure modes of the part.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:47   #13
BHPian

Update: Got a call yesterday from the service guys at Madhuban Toyota. Took the car in today. They had talked to the powers that be and arranged to replace the spiral cable.
Car is ready to go back on the highways and I am a toyota fan

OT: had a chance to look at the operations up close from the glass bays. There were 2 guys working at neighboring stations. The way they were moving spoke of a high degree of training, they were wearing safety gear and everything was spic and span.
Came away quite impressed by the level of professionalism.

Mods: Can you add "Update - Issue Resolved" to the subject if possible - thanks
Old 1st December 2009, 19:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They had talked to the powers that be and arranged to replace the spiral cable.
A free-of-cost replacement, I presume?
Old 1st December 2009, 19:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....quite impressed by the level of professionalism.
Smiley and the impressed part makes me think they honored warranty... if yes good for you.

Most Viewed