Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 18:32   #16
BHPian

I was wondering how Fiat could afford to provide a crash guard as a standard fitment on the Palio Adventure. Was the fitment different from regular crashguards available in the market? Can somebody please clarify?
Old 17th November 2009, 20:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

very nice and informative detailed thread for people who buy these crash guards/bull bars to fix on their cars!

Avoid the damn crash guards/bull bars and save your lives!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 21:19   #18
BHPian

James, excellent piece of information and an eye opener for people using bull bars or crash guards on monocoque structured cars.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is a very interesting piece of information. Many people install crash guards after market not knowing that it could do more harm than good. Don't know about the Fiat adventure though. It's the only car, as far as i can remember, than came factory fitted with a crash guard. Probably some Adventure owneers on the forum could clarify regarding that.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
Every manufacturer designs the safety aspects of a vehicle, from bumper to bumper to absorb and redistribute the crash impact so that the passenger cabin is protected the most.

Hi,
Safety of the car is not important, safety of people inside it most important, now the topic reads
Why small cars shouldn’t be fitted with a bull bar/crash guard

Big or small, crash guards do their job very well, i.e., protect the vehicle not the passengers.

A front crash guard is the most dangerous in big cars as well, because these days many cars come with AIR BAGS, why did you forget about this one?

The sensors are located on the bumper NOT ON THE CRASH GUARD

If any collision occurs and the sensor is not called for, then what is the need for the air bags (These days even Dual Air bags), and imagine the fate of those inside the car..

Take a deep breadth and think over it..

Keep revving...
Old 7th March 2015, 11:36   #21
BHPian

Re: Why small cars shouldn’t be fitted with a bull bar/crash guard..

Hi,
I am surprised because every car(small/big) in our family has bull bars. Even I am planning to go for Aluminum crash bars on my Dzire Tour. I have seen a new car with Aluminum crash bars and the owner says that they have saved him close to Rs.40000. Mostly we run our cars in the city and rarely does the car see highway runs.

What is the problem with rear crash guards? Yes, I have heard that they make irritable sounds on rough roads and that they are drilled directly to the chassis.

Please advise-Is this okay? The same one will be used by me for my Tour model
Attached Thumbnails
Why small cars shouldn’t be fitted with a bull bar/crash guard-1538782_471394309632591_1989657302_n1.jpg  

Old 7th March 2015, 11:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hi,
I have seen a new car with Aluminum crash bars and the owner says that they have saved him close to Rs.40000.
I would like to know as to how Rs. 40,000 were saved?

In the meanwhile, please go through this thread. Post which you might have your answers

Last edited by Sheel : 7th March 2015 at 12:14.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 12:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
But even if it did (by whatever calculations), I would prefer to lose it rather than risking my life over it. I am sure that all will opt for their lives if given a choice between their life and the vehicle. With the already shoddily designed and poor safety rated cars we drive here, I wouldn't like to risk it any further by putting crash guard in front (or at the rear).
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 12:58   #24
BANNED

I think there is a thread devoted to the need not to install these bull bars. Please take a look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...culprit-4.html

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th March 2015 at 13:01.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 20:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:

In the meanwhile, please go through this thread. Post which you might have your answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But even if it did (by whatever calculations), I would prefer to lose it rather than risking my life over it. I am sure that all will opt for their lives if given a choice between their life and the vehicle. With the already shoddily designed and poor safety rated cars we drive here, I wouldn't like to risk it any further by putting crash guard in front (or at the rear).
Thanks Mr. Sheel and Mr. Saket,

The Dzire owner told me that once a ford figo hit his car from behind. The impact was so severe that the Figo lost both its eyes and even the air conditioner, air dam and radiator were all damaged. And the only damage his Dzire suffered was a broken bolt joining the rear bull bar to the chassis.

He summarized his gains on account of the rear bull bar as follows-

1. Rear tail lamps-Rs. 2000
2. Rear chrome bar-Rs. 2000
3. Denting, painting repair, new bumper-Rs. 10,000
4. (This is interesting) New silencer set-Rs. 10,000
5. New number plates- Rs. 500
6. Rear parking sensors + Camera-Rs. 25000

I did not find any camera or rear parking sensors though!

But he definitely saved some money because the bull bar cost him only Rs. 3500.

He also mentioned that numerous times he had been hit by bikes and rickshaws from behind. The rear bull bar has saved him umpteen number of times. Add to that-the peace of mind and avoiding MASS.

I may bebut I am installing that rear bull bar. I shall post photos next week. Just imagine the mental agony caused when someone bumps your car from behind! At least that will hopefully never happen.

Regards,
Ashok.
Old 7th March 2015, 21:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mr. Sheel and Mr. Saket,

The Dzire owner told me that once a ford figo hit his car from behind. The impact was so severe that the Figo lost both its eyes and even the air conditioner, air dam and radiator were all damaged. And the only damage his Dzire suffered was a broken bolt joining the rear bull bar to the chassis.

Regards,
Ashok.
No offence meant, but the fact that the Figo lost so much, doesn't it make the point for itself.
The rear bumpers are meant to absorb the impact, in case of a rear end collision protect the occupants in the car behind and the car which has been rear ended.

Maybe in this case, the collision was not at that high a speed. But, were it at a higher speed, it can be devastating for the car behind, and maybe for the car with the bull bar as well. Because of such a peculiar point of interaction, the crumple zones of a car will be rendered useless.

Additionally, for the car in front, it will reduce the amount of force the car can absorb, and make the passengers in the car experience forces of very high magnitude.

Agreed, a bull-bar might save you money, but honestly, its unsafe and looks very ugly on cars.

Cars have bumpers for a reason, to make such nicks and bumps easier to repair.
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 21:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
No offence meant, but the fact that the Figo lost so much, doesn't it make the point for itself.
The rear bumpers are meant to absorb the impact, in case of a rear end collision protect the occupants in the car behind and the car which has been rear ended.

Maybe in this case, the collision was not at that high a speed. But, were it at a higher speed, it can be devastating for the car behind, and maybe for the car with the bull bar as well. Because of such a peculiar point of interaction, the crumple zones of a car will be rendered useless.

Additionally, for the car in front, it will reduce the amount of force the car can absorb, and make the passengers in the car experience forces of very high magnitude.

Agreed, a bull-bar might save you money, but honestly, its unsafe and looks very ugly on cars.

Cars have bumpers for a reason, to make such nicks and bumps easier to repair.
Thank You Mr.Prakhar,

Even I was thinking-If bull bars were so good, many members on this forum who live in metros must have installed them, but till date I have not come across a single sedan/hatchback on this forum with bull bars.

Guess bull bars are only suitable for SUVs. But I guess I wanted to install them because it would make my Dzire a bit longer in length. Silly me!

Regards,
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 21:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In case of small impact as well, the headlamp clamp/holder will break. Figo's radiator is just too close to the bumper and in case of a minor shunt as well, the radiator might need replacement.

If it had been a hit at good speeds, the bull bar instead of saving the Dzire would have resulted in something like this

Why small cars shouldn’t be fitted with a bull bar/crash guard-76347.jpg

This image is sourced from the thread of which sgiitk Sir gave the link for.

Here are two posts which you may read & benefit.

1 & 2

It is your car & it is entirely your choice. Take your pick. Yes, they do save from minor nicks, but I always keep an eye on my RVM's and when 2 wheelers loom large, I do give them a wide berth. A two wheeler simply cannot brake as competently as four wheelers. 4 big contact patches against 2, sometimes 1.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 21:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
In case of small impact as well, the headlamp clamp/holder will break. Figo's radiator is just too close to the bumper and in case of a minor shunt as well, the radiator might need replacement.

If it had been a hit at good speeds, the bull bar instead of saving the Dzire would have resulted in something like this

Attachment 1347574

This image is sourced from the thread of which sgiitk Sir gave the link for.

Here are two posts which you may read & benefit.

1 & 2

It is your car & it is entirely your choice. Take your pick. Yes, they do save from minor nicks, but I always keep an eye on my RVM's and when 2 wheelers loom large, I do give them a wide berth. A two wheeler simply cannot brake as competently as four wheelers. 4 big contact patches against 2, sometimes 1.
Thank You Mr. Sheel and SGIIT Sir,

That was some good counsel.
I will not go for the rear bull bar. Anyways, I have comprehensive insurance and let us hope that ours cars always remain safe!

This is what makes Team bhp unique-any and every solution for cars!
Old 7th March 2015, 22:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

One thing i want to add here. Its not always two/three wheeler's fault. Though i know that some drive like crazy (please see "SOME") and they dont have great brakes however i do know that here in india, people drive very close to each other be it car,bike scooter etc. So just by blaming two wheelers and then installing bulls bars is not fare. If you keep adequate distance, then i am sure this instance will never come. By doing so, you get ample time to brake and the person behind you also gets to do the same.

Personally bull bars are just plain nuisance in my opinion. They not only ruin your car looks but also its basic structure. Just my 2 cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks