Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 01:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Is there a divider on that road?!
Thats the thing. The only one part of the sealink has been completed. So a technically 4 (in one direction) lane road is now reduced to a 2 lane/direction road.

The divider is made of those yellow hard-plastic blocks. I dont know how heavy they are but I guess a speeding car can knock them aside. Even an errant divider blocks can surprise speedlimit abiding drivers and cause an accident.

BTW, noticed a funny sign going onto the sealink from the worli side last saturday. Among other things it had a picture signalling no bullock carts allowed on the sealink.
Old 9th December 2009, 07:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
BTW, noticed a funny sign going onto the sealink from the worli side last saturday. Among other things it had a picture signalling no bullock carts allowed on the sealink.
The authorities seem to have some sense. Thank god for that.
Are pedestrians allowed on the link?
Old 9th December 2009, 13:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
High speed + lack of control and over reaction can lead to anything

There is no frontal impact to acivate airbags but again one cannot tell if they did activate. Fatalities possible if no one was belted up - imagine 200 kg of shock on your spine and neck when overturning
I came across this article posted by Mid-Day:
\\\'Schoolboy was not strapped in\\\'

"Senior Inspector Prakash George added that the police would also check why the air bags of the Skoda did not open up on impact. He clarified that the driver's air bag did not open up."
Old 9th December 2009, 13:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Why is the Wagon R apparently going the wrong way? Or am I missing something?
Looks as if it spun around under the impact, which must have been massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Possibly, wearing a seatbelt might have saved the guy in the taxi crash. But how many taxis have the seat belt anchor anwhere but lost under the back seat. I think I'll take the front seat next time I have to use one.
Today's Times of India quotes the taxi driver as saying the passenger was in the front seat. It's quite possible he wasn't wearing the seatbelt though, because police don't seem to enforce the rule when it comes to taxis, even new ones. And this Wagon R looks new -- the plastic wrap on the seats is still intact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
The divider is made of those yellow hard-plastic blocks. I dont know how heavy they are but I guess a speeding car can knock them aside.
A TOI report said they're "water-filled" to prevent them from being chucked around easily, but I don't know how accurate this is. Sounds funny to me.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Best thing to avoid accidents on the Sealink is (It works and Bangalorians can vouch for this) to install speed breakers at every 50 meters (Every Fifty Meters - It saves lives) on the Bridge, so noone just speeds at any point of time - peak of off-peak hours. They may remove those when the other side of the bridge is completed and opened for traffic.

And normally these plastic bollards used for dividers are sand filled. Don't know the case of Sealink though.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 9th December 2009 at 13:19.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_GetzCRDI09 View Post
Guys, i dont see the airbags inflated in the fabia. have the airbags failed to inflate. The damage inflicted to the wagon r is much lesser than the Fabia. A friend of mine who was on sealink has told me that he saw alteast three fatalities{ taxi driver + co-passenger + Fabia driver}
You are right! This article posted by Mid-Day and the inspector's statement confirms it.

\\\'Schoolboy was not strapped in\\\'

"Senior Inspector Prakash George added that the police would also check why the air bags of the Skoda did not open up on impact. He clarified that the driver's air bag did not open up."
Old 9th December 2009, 13:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Best thing to avoid accidents on the Sealink is (It works and Bangalorians can vouch for this) to install speed breakers at every 50 meters (Every Fifty Meters - It saves lives) on the Bridge, so noone just speeds at any point of time - peak of off-peak hours. They may remove those when the other side of the bridge is completed and opened for traffic.
Slightly better would be to use those "chicanes". I don't know what its called but on the Bangalore Mysore road, you can see big yellow things in the middle that forces cars to slow and go left right left and then back up to speed again. A brand new road doesn't deserve speed breakers.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Slightly better would be to use those "chicanes". I don't know what its called but on the Bangalore Mysore road, you can see big yellow things in the middle that forces cars to slow and go left right left and then back up to speed again. A brand new road doesn't deserve speed breakers.
Yes, these we call 'Zig-Zags' - used at temporary police checkposts. But, it needs more space to turn which, on the bridge you don't have on the bridge as of now.!
Old 9th December 2009, 17:10   #24
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a black Skoda Fabia crushed at Bandra Police Station.
Came home and read the news in Mid-Day.

Really bad!

I have learnt one thing from this thread: "Speed, only if you can control it".
Old 9th December 2009, 21:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today's Times of India quotes the taxi driver as saying the passenger was in the front seat. It's quite possible he wasn't wearing the seatbelt though, because police don't seem to enforce the rule when it comes to taxis, even new ones. And this Wagon R looks new -- the plastic wrap on the seats is still intact!
Apparently it wasnt the Wagon R taxi's fault. The Skoda was speeding across the Sealink when he lost control and toppled multiple times and actually landed on the front end of the Wagon R causing the damage seen in the pics and killing the passenger as well. The Fabia finally came to rest in that position that we see there. In this situation I doubt that even having a seat belt on would have saved the deceased passenger.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

You're right. In that situation, perhaps even being stationary would not save the poor passenger.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:24   #27
BHPian

8 injured in accident on Bandra-Worli Sealink on 12-Dec-09

oops, just missed the 15 min limit.

I saw on the news headline that there has been another accident on the Bandra-Worli sealink yesterday. This time a Lancer and an Accord were involved.

One car had entered from the Bandra side and the other from Worli side. The Lancer was taking a U-turn when the accord slammed into it.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Two accidents in such a short space? That's really unfortunate. Looks like the authorities need to take another look at the sealink and how to direct traffic on it.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:23   #29
BHPian

Here is the you tube link of the accident.

Old 13th December 2009, 17:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two accidents in such a short space? That's really unfortunate. Looks like the authorities need to take another look at the sealink and how to direct traffic on it.
when will people learn to follow traffic rules esp on such roads ! taking U turn where not allowed, causing danger to others lives. the blame now comes on sea-link.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 13th December 2009 at 17:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks