Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 18:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
There have been so many accidents on the sealink its a safety hazard now. I'd think twice about using it the next time. I'm just lucky I dont have to use it everyday.

My suggestion:

Close the Sealink for now until the other side is also completed and motorable.

We lived without the sealink for so many years, a couple of months more will not cause much of a disruption and it will save lives.

I know i'm going to get brickbats for this.
Please take from me, a bunch of Bouquets for this excellent, most suitable suggestion for we Indians. Thats the 100% fool-proof way of Zero Accident on the sea-link.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
1. Lane width: As someone has already mentioned, the width of each lane on the Sea Link is a tad narrow.
Yes, but the current sealink road is surely a temporary arrangement until both sides open up for traffic.

Quote:
2. Lane driving skill:
3. Sea Link ‘Wow or View’ factor
Bad lane driving: too true and very evident on normal roads too, forget the sealink.

Wow factor: It's just another bridge!

Quote:
4. Phone Jammers: I’m not sure if it’s possible but if it is, jam all mobile phones while on the sea link.
Drivers should not be talking on their cellphones anyway while driving, whether its on the sealink or not. Boils down to what one can get away with the traffic cops.

Quote:
5. Traffic Flow: Depending on the time of day, keep all lanes going one way.
Sure, this will remove the temptation of making a U-turn in a traffic jam like in today's paper. But most of the accidents seem to have happened in the off-peak hours.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Yes, but the current sealink road is surely a temporary arrangement until both sides open up for traffic.
@Gomzi: Though I agree with you, even once the other side opens it is meant to be an 8 lane road. So my reading is that the lane width will stay the same. Just 4 more lanes of the same width added by opening of the other side. Or is there something else that I do not know about.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
The person who also advises for this Yellow Markings and all sounds to me like he is the one making these. He does not drive a car(or any vehicle) or does not care as he is making good money from making these.
OT: But how on earth you can reach a conclusion like that!!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 17th December 2009, 21:19   #65
cLJ
BHPian

Previously, people were crying for good roads to avoid accidents. Now, look like, it is a big crime constructing good roads and unless people are taught the defensive driving techniques, these kind of accidents are bound to happen.

Thanks

CLJ
Old 17th December 2009, 21:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
@Gomzi: Though I agree with you, even once the other side opens it is meant to be an 8 lane road. So my reading is that the lane width will stay the same. Just 4 more lanes of the same width added by opening of the other side. Or is there something else that I do not know about.
Yup, lane width will possibly remain the same, but lane width has never deterred us indian drivers.

The number of lanes created by traffic is directly proportional to the actual width of motorable road and sometimes beyond (footpaths, shoulder etc)
Old 17th December 2009, 22:47   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to offend anyone here, but going by most of the suggestions posted here, thank god none of you'll are policy makers in the government/police/bmc.

At this rate, full bombay will be covered with speed breakers.

Instead of a myopic approach, we need a better approach. Look what the police crack down on drunk driving has done. Start sending people to jail and it will put some sense into people.

Have police presence all day on the bridge for 15 days and people will then always be scared, what if?

Only sensible suggestion i thought was from aditya to have ropes. Instead of the plastic dividers, have drums filled with water / sand. They will be a better barricade.

FYI: the lane size on the bridge is perfect. It can easily accommodate a truck without encroaching on the other lane.
Old 17th December 2009, 23:50   #68
BHPian

Phone Jammers, Speed breakers on the sealink, all one way , lol.

This is very very funny.

The phone network is anyways weak around the sealink.

If you remove the vital key factor from the whole sealink driver's mind, it will cease to be a dangerous place (not the mind, the sealink) that is "stupidity" & do before thinking.

If you recollect, the same results were observed when the Mumbai pune expressway was inaugurated & thrown open to the public.

Soon people understood what's power and speed on the expressway. There are yet accidents and idiots no doubt.

But speedbreakers hahahahhaa, take the cake.
Thanks for the entertainment. (no offence meant please, speedbreakers. ?? on the sealink ? hahahha)

Cheers.
Old 18th December 2009, 00:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Not to offend anyone here, but going by most of the suggestions posted here, thank god none of you'll are policy makers in the government/police/bmc.

Instead of a myopic approach, we need a better approach. Look what the police crack down on drunk driving has done. Start sending people to jail and it will put some sense into people.

Have police presence all day on the bridge for 15 days and people will then always be scared, what if?

Only sensible suggestion i thought was from aditya to have ropes. Instead of the plastic dividers, have drums filled with water / sand. They will be a better barricade.

FYI: the lane size on the bridge is perfect. It can easily accommodate a truck without encroaching on the other lane.
+1 to that! I find speed breakers extremely undesirable. Even in a city like Poona, where the roads are one long speed breaker, these amazing speed breaker lovers put them up all over.

Speed breakers are one of the biggest hindrances to the smooth flow of traffic. They damage vehicles and waste fuel.

And one thing I have noticed - often cars driven by drivers do not care much about these speed breakers. The same is true with bus and truck drivers, etc. Its not their own vehicle to break anyway... lol!

Last edited by Raccoon : 18th December 2009 at 00:17.
Old 18th December 2009, 08:58   #70
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Do we understand the difference between a speed breaker and a speed limiter ?
What a few folks here are recommending as a temporary solution are 'speed limiters'. Not about those bumps/humps or whatever people call them.
Speed limiters have a proven history to control such accidents, particularly in such scenarios similiar to the BWSL.
Sad to find the authorities simply don't seem to have the foresight to be proactive about these things. and innocent lives being lost.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:58   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

If you do go through the thread carefully, you'd have seen the detest in my opinion about speed breakers.

In fact, I'd mentioned that the only way to solve the issue is 1) heavy fines, 2) throw in jail overnight and 3) produce before a judge if fine can't be paid on the spot!

Petty fines like Rs. 200 isn't going to help. People would end up paying it and sometimes get away by 'influence'. Fines in excess of Rs. 2000 will definitely hurt the culprit and he would know better the next time round!
Old 18th December 2009, 12:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Easier said than done! Bigger fines means potentially fatter bribes (even harassment) by our esteemed traffic constabulary.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:51   #73
BHPian

+1 to Raccoons's note.

I somehow felt like writing 'practical/real' stuff again, but resisited with all the idealism floating around.

All that idealism is good and absolutely necessary; but it has to be work done from the grass roots.
Teaching people about values, morals, ethics (things like following rules, not paying bribes, having civic sense) and developing a better generation is not an overnight task.

We ourselves behave atleast a tad differently (I can atleast speak for myself) when in situated in different locations/situations.
Like for e.g. - The way we drive here (overtake, give way, honk and stuff) would be different from the way we would if we were in the western world. Why ?
Old 18th December 2009, 16:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

I heard today morning on Radio 39 people fined for over speeding on this road. Do this to them...
Old 19th December 2009, 13:17   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
+1 to Raccoons's note.

I somehow felt like writing 'practical/real' stuff again, but resisited with all the idealism floating around.

All that idealism is good and absolutely necessary; but it has to be work done from the grass roots.
Teaching people about values, morals, ethics (things like following rules, not paying bribes, having civic sense) and developing a better generation is not an overnight task.

We ourselves behave atleast a tad differently (I can atleast speak for myself) when in situated in different locations/situations.
Like for e.g. - The way we drive here (overtake, give way, honk and stuff) would be different from the way we would if we were in the western world. Why ?
True.

But do Indians possess morality? Ethics? We're probably a conservative lot everywhere else! But we have no respect for road users at all!

Civic sense is required but unfortunately, 5% have that and the rest break rules like they've made it! Abroad, it's easy to manage the traffic and govern because people have a sense of responsibility and feel obligated to follow rules and regulations as they realize that at the end of the day, it would benefit them and no one else.

But we don't realize that in India. And hence we see people breaking the rules everyday! Now it's really hard to make people realize that they're expected to follow rules the laws because of this attitude and lack of responsibility.

At this point, the authorities should tighten the screws and make things very hard for road users who break rules. It's easier said than done. But it's a step forward nevertheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks