Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 15:07   #106
BHPian

Just came across Indiatimes copy of the same video. Here things look a bit different and doesnt look like Scorpio actually hit the Swift. The missing seconds are there in this video clearly showing the Swift hitting the Esteem first before the black Swift took over.

Link here > Mumbai sea link accident caught on camera-News-Videos-The Times of India
Old 15th January 2010, 20:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

This video is much better. It seems like the Swift overtook the Scorpio first and suddenly crossed him to the right. The Scorpio does not look involved in this. It's clearly the Swift driver's fault.
Old 15th January 2010, 22:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Clearly shows that Swift overtakes and then over-corrects when switching lanes after the move. The scorpio looks like it wanted to switch lanes too. Wonder why as the road ahead of the scorpio before the overtake looks empty

I'm still surprised that something as phenomenal as the Sea Link does not have a good median right from the time it is inaugurated.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 15th January 2010 at 22:38.
Old 16th January 2010, 15:30   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post

I'm still surprised that something as phenomenal as the Sea Link does not have a good median right from the time it is inaugurated.
It has been mentioned earlier that only one side of the sea-link is currently in operation. That's why there are temporary dividers. The temporary dividers would be removed once the other side is thrown open to public as well!
Old 16th January 2010, 16:57   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It has been mentioned earlier that only one side of the sea-link is currently in operation. That's why there are temporary dividers. The temporary dividers would be removed once the other side is thrown open to public as well!
few months of wait would not have brought heavens down reg. the inauguration of the Link. But then the ruling party had to show this as a feather in their cap for the elections which were held recently for the State.
emkay456 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 20:38   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
few months of wait would not have brought heavens down reg. the inauguration of the Link. But then the ruling party had to show this as a feather in their cap for the elections which were held recently for the State.
+1 to that. Exactly my point. There are enough accidents on roads that are open too early just for the sake of opening it.
It's a different ballgame when a road is renovated and needs to be kept functional as there are no other options, but in this case I don't think that it is the case.
Too late anyway!!
Old 18th January 2010, 10:47   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
This video is much better. It seems like the Swift overtook the Scorpio first and suddenly crossed him to the right. The Scorpio does not look involved in this. It's clearly the Swift driver's fault.
True.
A possible case of drowsiness or even cellphone talking/texting/emailing and losing track of where the car is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There are better 'temporary divider' options available. Dont use such loosly kept ones.

Those small yellow pilllar like dividers which can be plonked and screwed on to the road firmly. Ones which can absorb some impact and also stop cars from crossing over to the other side incase of losing control/traction.
jigbarai is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:05   #113
BHPian

Speed Limit on Bandra Worli Sea Link

I am sure other T-BHPians from Mumbai will know what I am talking about. One of the country's premier bridges has a speed limit of 50 kmph! Earlier, when only one side was open for traffic (that is, 2 lanes per carriageway) this speed limit was perfectly justified. However, given the fact that now, for most of the length of the sea link, 4 lanes are available for each carriageway, 50 is a ridiculously low limit. No wonder everyone zooms past while I try to stay within this limit. In fact, I have to pay more attention to the speedo rather than the road and this is very very dangerous. I started adhering to this limit after being caught doing a blistering 74!!! That too, the stupid cop jumped in front of me very suddenly and I had to execute a squealing filmy kind of stop! I was very lucky that there was no one behind me then! Furthermore, the cop had the audacity to point out that I had to stop suddenly because of my speed! Who expects people to jump out at you on a bridge in the sea???

Nowadays, I avoid using the link unless the traffic on the regular route through Mahim is very bad. The excuse given by Mumbai Traffic Police is that people lose control of their cars at speeds higher than 50! I don't think I need to point out how ludicrous this statement is! Why are they trying to address the wrong problem? I am a person who's learnt driving the hard way adhering to all rules. A single infraction like not checking the RVMs before changing lanes would earn me a sharp smack from my Dad, who taught me! Why am I being penalised for the ineptitude of the idiots who are on the roads without deserving to have the privilege of driving?

Mods: I know there is a thread on speed limits on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, but since the nature of the BWSL is different, thought it needed a different thread. Couldn't find one related to this in search either. Please merge with an appropriate thread in case I missed it.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai

Honda city in the news for wrong reasons.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/o...w/20626198.cms
Old 18th June 2013, 16:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speed Limit on Bandra Worli Sea Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
I am sure other T-BHPians from Mumbai will know what I am talking about. One of the country's premier bridges has a speed limit of 50 kmph! Earlier, when only one side was open for traffic (that is, 2 lanes per carriageway) this speed limit was perfectly justified. However, given the fact that now, for most of the length of the sea link, 4 lanes are available for each carriageway, 50 is a ridiculously low limit. No wonder everyone zooms past while I try to stay within this limit. In fact, I have to pay more attention to the speedo rather than the road and this is very very dangerous. I started adhering to this limit after being caught doing a blistering 74!!! That too, the stupid cop jumped in front of me very suddenly and I had to execute a squealing filmy kind of stop! I was very lucky that there was no one behind me then! Furthermore, the cop had the audacity to point out that I had to stop suddenly because of my speed! Who expects people to jump out at you on a bridge in the sea???

Nowadays, I avoid using the link unless the traffic on the regular route through Mahim is very bad. The excuse given by Mumbai Traffic Police is that people lose control of their cars at speeds higher than 50! I don't think I need to point out how ludicrous this statement is! Why are they trying to address the wrong problem? I am a person who's learnt driving the hard way adhering to all rules. A single infraction like not checking the RVMs before changing lanes would earn me a sharp smack from my Dad, who taught me! Why am I being penalised for the ineptitude of the idiots who are on the roads without deserving to have the privilege of driving?

Mods: I know there is a thread on speed limits on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, but since the nature of the BWSL is different, thought it needed a different thread. Couldn't find one related to this in search either. Please merge with an appropriate thread in case I missed it.
Mumbai pandus have no common sense. I believe they share a common genetic pool to become cops, the pool involves people with almost zero IQ and logic.
The pandus must have performed extensive PHD level research to find out and conclude that Indian drivers are incapable of driving in a straight line at any speed greater than 50kmph on the sea link, so the speed is 50kmph, if you are rear ended mantaining 50kmph, sorry thats your bad karma, what can the sensible pandu do in this case?
The pandu is so starving and greedy for your money that he eagerly jumps right in front of your car to stop you, else how will his starving children survive?
Old 25th June 2013, 17:25   #116
BHPian

Re: Speed Limit on Bandra Worli Sea Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The pandus must have performed extensive PHD level research to find out and conclude that Indian drivers are incapable of driving in a straight line at any speed greater than 50kmph on the sea link, so the speed is 50kmph, if you are rear ended mantaining 50kmph, sorry thats your bad karma, what can the sensible pandu do in this case?
The pandu is so starving and greedy for your money that he eagerly jumps right in front of your car to stop you, else how will his starving children survive?
Watch his bosses zoom on the expressway and he snaps to attention and salutes him. Can I opt out of paying my taxes? I'm sick of paying for useless, self-serving politicians and bureaucrats who don't have an honest bone in them.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:37   #117
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Didn't know such a thread existed. I guess the below post of mine in another thread should be shifted here. Probably the very first accident on the Sealink.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2183779
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:04   #118
BHPian

Ferrari SF90 accident on Bandra-Worli Sea Link
A high profile accident on bandra worli sea link two days back
Mumbai folks may have more info on this. I am unable to attach Videos of Red Ferrari being towed

Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-20221023_110639.jpg

Last edited by BrokenHW : 23rd October 2022 at 11:12.

Most Viewed