Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 10:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai

This morning on the Bandra Worli Sealink . Huge accident between a Skoda Fabia and a Wagon R Taxi. The Fabia is literally standing against the railing of the bridge. I wonder how many people were there in the car.

Here is a pic.

Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-skodafabia.jpg
Old 8th December 2009, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man cannot believe that scoda overturning when it hit a wagon R. Where has the vehicle dynamics gone.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Man cannot believe that scoda overturning when it hit a wagon R. Where has the vehicle dynamics gone.

Guys, i dont see the airbags inflated in the fabia. have the airbags failed to inflate. The damage inflicted to the wagon r is much lesser than the Fabia. A friend of mine who was on sealink has told me that he saw alteast three fatalities{ taxi driver + co-passenger + Fabia driver}
Old 8th December 2009, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
This morning on the Bandra Worli Sealink . Huge accident between a Skoda Fabia and a Wagon R Taxi. The Fabia is literally standing against the railing of the bridge. I wonder how many people were there in the car.

Here is a pic.

Attachment 241527
I think this might be the 1st accident in Sealink. Seems to the Fabia was at very high speed at early morning.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think this might be the 1st accident in Sealink.
No. A few months ago, a Swift took a U-Turn on the bridge and a Honda City rammed into it. Unfortunately, we do come across a lot of such people.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think this might be the 1st accident in Sealink. Seems to the Fabia was at very high speed at early morning.

Nope. Certainly not the first. I have seen quite a few before as well but this one is the worst by far.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

How bad is the state of the WagonR? Curious to know how the tin box fared against the solid build of the Fabia.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
High speed + lack of control and over reaction can lead to anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_GetzCRDI09 View Post
Guys, i dont see the airbags inflated in the fabia. have the airbags failed to inflate. The damage inflicted to the wagon r is much lesser than the Fabia. A friend of mine who was on sealink has told me that he saw alteast three fatalities{ taxi driver + co-passenger + Fabia driver}
There is no frontal impact to acivate airbags but again one cannot tell if they did activate. Fatalities possible if no one was belted up - imagine 200 kg of shock on your spine and neck when overturning
Old 8th December 2009, 14:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
the speeds at which i've seen people go at on the (currently) 2 lanes/side sealink is scary, and i've been on it only thrice. Many of these cars dont slow down if theres a slower one ahead and just change lanes. With such type of driving and high speeds any car can overturn.

I'm not saying either of the cars was doing such speeds. Lets wait for the facts.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

A link to the Skoda accident on NDTV.com
Old 8th December 2009, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
No. A few months ago, a Swift took a U-Turn on the bridge and a Honda City rammed into it. Unfortunately, we do come across a lot of such people.
You have crossing in mid of the Sealink ? Thats funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nope. Certainly not the first. I have seen quite a few before as well but this one is the worst by far.
Is there no speed limit or automatic speed checking machine. It could be very fatal at high speed.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How bad is the state of the WagonR? Curious to know how the tin box fared against the solid build of the Fabia.
Source : Bandr-Worli sealink claims its first victim

Article :
Quote:
A 40-yr-old accountant with Breach Candy hospital became the first victim at Bandra-Worli Sea Link after he was killed in a head-on crash between two cars.

According to the police, a speeding Skoda Fabia car lost control and collided with a taxi coming from the other side. The severe collision led to the death of the accountant, travelling in the taxi.

The cab driver and the passengers in the Skoda were injured in the incident.

Preliminary investigation reveals that a father and a son were in the Skoda, which was heading towards Dhirubhai Ambani School at BKC. The son has been admitted to Lilavati Hospital in a critical condition.

The incident happened around 8.20 am and the impact was so severe that the Skoda skidded to the edge of the bridge and could have fallen into the sea, said the police.

According to traffic policeman, Bhagat, "Traffic was disrupted for some time after the accident, but everything has been cleared and traffic flow is normal."

This is a first case of collision on the Bandra Worli sea link after the sea link was opened for the vehicular traffic.
Images I found on the net.
Source :
Accident on Bandra-Worli Sea Link

IMHO, Wagon R took the crash well. The wagon R driver has survived the crash. But the person travelling in taxi could not survive. Skoda fabia lost control and hit the taxi. The angle of impact also plays a vital role here.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-sa-1.jpg  

Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-sa-3.jpg  

Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-sa-2.jpg  

Old 8th December 2009, 19:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why is the Wagon R apparently going the wrong way? Or am I missing something?
Old 8th December 2009, 22:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Possibly, wearing a seatbelt might have saved the guy in the taxi crash. But how many taxis have the seat belt anchor anwhere but lost under the back seat. I think I'll take the front seat next time I have to use one.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:02   #15
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Why is the Wagon R apparently going the wrong way? Or am I missing something?
Is there a divider on that road?!

Most Viewed