Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 11:09   #46
BHPian

I have advice for people who support those Yellow/Red Strips(like Speedbreakers) : SIT AT HOME.

Driving a car on that **** rattles your car even at 20 kmph. The Plastic Panels have started breaking, lights are getting cracked & if you try to make an Ememrgency Stop, your car will never stop.

The Roads are supposed to be Comfortable & not with Stupid Speedbreakers or this Yellow Marked Lines. The Whole of Mumbai Roads are already broken & with all these measures, it is just a pain. I am getting really irritated by people's attitude to such important stuff.
Please do not support making such Red/Yellow markings.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:22   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
The idea here is in being proactive, and not reactive; atleast on a temporary basis.

Temporary speed breakers, like a long length of those strips that they put before the toll nakas should also be put at intermittant distances on the bridge. It will maintain smooth flow of traffic, but for most part people wont attempt going above 50-60 kmph with these on.

More important that that is the dividers between opposite directions. Wonder what is taking them so long to figure out that they need to put something strong, fixed, absolutely unmovable, end-to-end as dividers.

The plastic thing that is there right now is a joke, a bad one at that. A kid could push and shove it around.
That's not it my friend! I know it would be idiotic of me to compare European countries and Singapore to Indian Cities like Mumbai. But think about it, we want to prosper right? The only way to do so is to take the examples of such models.

The Bridge had been designed to ensure smooth flow of traffic without any stops or breaks in between. The whole point of having this is to avoid speed breakers, temporary or not, altogether!

Trying to strengthen the divider or add bits to slow us down isn't going to help. It would add frustration instead.

The traffic police should come down heavily on people who break the law. Refer to the next paragraph please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
There seems signages shown as '50' that means allowed speed limit on the bridge is
50kmph, but how many listen to this. And such an open way/route how the cop can impliment any speed limit? Install camera's and catch the offenders but then you need 24 hours surveillance - Is it possible?
Yes, the speed limit is 50. And if these signs can be followed abroad, they can be followed here too. Do you know who important these signs actually are?

Cops can definitely implement speed limits if they have 24 hour surveillance! We see it done in London and Singapore. It can be done in Mumbai too! They just need to buck up.

The Authorities should provide high levels of training to the Cops, start paying them more since they would've been trained pretty well (This will reduce the need to collect bribes), completely revise the fine system and hike the fines to 10k+ for everything! Once a few people get caught, they will NOT do it again because they would know that they can't cough up 10k every time unlike the 200 they cough up now!

The moment the Cops get strict and impose heavy fines, not accept bribes and not encourage 'summoning of influence', breaking the law will be a thing of the past! Because people will realize they can't get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I have advice for people who support those Yellow/Red Strips(like Speedbreakers) : SIT AT HOME.

Driving a car on that **** rattles your car even at 20 kmph. The Plastic Panels have started breaking, lights are getting cracked & if you try to make an Ememrgency Stop, your car will never stop.

The Roads are supposed to be Comfortable & not with Stupid Speedbreakers or this Yellow Marked Lines. The Whole of Mumbai Roads are already broken & with all these measures, it is just a pain. I am getting really irritated by people's attitude to such important stuff.
Please do not support making such Red/Yellow markings.
+1! Spot on!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th December 2009 at 11:23.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Advise rejected without any consideration.

Quote:
How many toll nakas do you go thru my friend, driving in and around mumbai ? You dont avoid the roads going thru these toll nakas with speed limiters just because it causes such 'catastrophic' damage to your vehicle, do you ?

I for one wouldnt care one bit for 100 odd cars rattling a little, if it saves 1 life every day, going by the way things are right now.

And if driven properly, cars should not rattle at the speeds you are talking about, normally. Anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's not it my friend! I know it would be idiotic of me to compare European countries and Singapore to Indian Cities like Mumbai. But think about it, we want to prosper right? The only way to do so is to take the examples of such models.

The Bridge had been designed to ensure smooth flow of traffic without any stops or breaks in between. The whole point of having this is to avoid speed breakers, temporary or not, altogether!

Trying to strengthen the divider or add bits to slow us down isn't going to help. It would add frustration instead.

The traffic police should come down heavily on people who break the law. Refer to the next paragraph please.
It is a good long term solution, ideal; if you will.
But lets get real here.
There are tonnes of things we'd want the police and authorities to implement, and zillions of ideas.
But this is not the western world. They have 'fewer population to deal with and far better controls and systems in place'.

India, esp cities like Mumbai are a different ball game.

We all have driven thru roads with speed limits and signs all over the place, talk about cities, highways or express ways.
We still have enough number of people on this very forum harping about achieving insane speeds all over the place, right ?
Lets ask ourselves, have we truely and in principle, observed and followed each such sign / symbol put up on the roads ?

For the moment, we need fact action, WITH RESULTS.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:52   #49
BHPian

There have been so many accidents on the sealink its a safety hazard now. I'd think twice about using it the next time. I'm just lucky I dont have to use it everyday.

My suggestion:

Close the Sealink for now until the other side is also completed and motorable.

We lived without the sealink for so many years, a couple of months more will not cause much of a disruption and it will save lives.

I know i'm going to get brickbats for this.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:58   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It is a good long term solution, ideal; if you will.
But lets get real here.
There are tonnes of things we'd want the police and authorities to implement, and zillions of ideas.
But this is not the western world. They have 'fewer population to deal with and far better controls and systems in place'.

India, esp cities like Mumbai are a different ball game.

We all have driven thru roads with speed limits and signs all over the place, talk about cities, highways or express ways.
We still have enough number of people on this very forum harping about achieving insane speeds all over the place, right ?
Lets ask ourselves, have we truely and in principle, observed and followed each such sign / symbol put up on the roads ?

For the moment, we need fact action, WITH RESULTS.
Yes we live in India, and it's not easy given the population and the lack of infrastructure!

But progress has to be made. Do you think if we sit and say "oh the infrastructure isn't good, cops are not good" things are going to get better? There is no point in that at all!

I believe that if a populated city like New York or London can have strict rules and regulations, Mumbai can as well! At least half the rules if not the whole hog!

OT: And I shall tell you something. I'm all of 20 years. I acquired my license at the age of 18 by going through all the necessary obligations. How many at my age would do that? To be brutally honest, I was forced to do that by my parents. I wondered why I had to go through all that when I can get it without breaking a sweat! And now I know! Ever since I've had my license, I've followed every rule, every sign board, the speed limit and everything to the 'T' and I intend to do so! I'm doing my bit and I urge everyone else to do so as well.

Anyway, bringing in speed-humps on this bridge isn't the answer. Instead, strict and stringent rules should be put forth and heavy fines should be laid out in front of full public eye.

If they really want to do it, they CAN do it! Population, idiocy among road users, etc are just mere excuses!
Old 17th December 2009, 13:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
We lived without the sealink for so many years, a couple of months more will not cause much of a disruption and it will save lives.

I know i'm going to get brickbats for this.
You wrote couple of 'months' when you actually meant 'years', right ?
You asked for it ..

Last edited by jigbarai : 17th December 2009 at 13:08.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:07   #52
BHPian

I have driven on the BWSL about a dozen times now. I take the inner (left) lane and drive at a steady 50 kmph as that is the speed limit. I have realised that I am the slowest on the road and that all types of cars, even decrepit Premier Padmini taxis merrily overtake me. Cars driving behind me in my lane lurch to the right lane and overtake me, as they do not have the patience of keeping within the speed limit.

If you notice, in all the three tragic accidents, one common element was that at least one of the two cars involved was being driven at speeds well above 50 kmph.

In the first case, the driver of the Fabia was overspeeding,lost control, rolled over and crashed into the Wagon R taxi.

In the second case, the passengers of the Lancer had no business removing the divider blocks and attempt a U turn; the overspeeding Accord didn't have time to stop crashing into the Lancer.

In the third case, the Zen was reportedly doing 100 kmph.

My two pennies :

1. Instal more speed guns
2. All cars which overspeed should be fined heavily, at either end. The fine should be so heavy that it hurts, something like Rs 2,500/-.
3. The traffic police should separately create a database of defaulters, so that points are added against a driver. The idea being after logging in x points, your licence and hence your right to drive will be curtailed by say 6 months, 1/2 years or even permanently.
4. Many here have advised on ways to reduce overspeeding; till such time that all the 4+4 lanes are opened, there should be heavy plastic dividers for each lane ( all four lanes being used presently will have dividers). That will make drivers who generally flout speed limits drive a wee bit slower- maybe, just maybe that might reduce the incidence of accidents.

However, all these things will be effective when you have law abiding citizens.

What we as a nation lack, is civic sense.

Regards
Old 17th December 2009, 15:56   #53
BHPian

^^
Exactly the point. There would be less than 10% of the population sticking on to the speed limit of 50 kmph. And those who actually do, get glared at as if they were a bunch of fools.

Also, just because I am a law abiding and responsible citizen, does not mean that the moron on the 20 year old premier padmini taxi, or the spoilt brat / driver in an fast car will do the same.
The arial photograph on TOI today has a nice picture of a fiat taxi merrily taking a u-turn in the middle of the bridge, because of 'traffic'.
And for sure I (who would try to respect the law) wouldnt want to be at the receiving end of a mishap, because of those who dont care two hoots for others safety and civic sense.

Build dividers, put speed limiters .. and yes fine them heavily, revoke their licenses if need be.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:38   #54
BHPian

People are using the BWSL as a joyride route.

The U-turn participants are generally trying to avoid paying a toll at the Bandra end of the Sea link when using this road for a joyride.

The toll plaza is at the Bandra end where they have space. The Worli end is unregulated and any one can enter/exit from the Worli end.

The barriers separating the lanes are temporary, once the 2nd parallel bridge is complete the authorities will use the other side as a one way.

Past few days seeing a gross decline in driver's common sense levels in Mumbai
Old 17th December 2009, 16:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^
Exactly the point. There would be less than 10% of the population sticking on to the speed limit of 50 kmph. And those who actually do, get glared at as if they were a bunch of fools.

Also, just because I am a law abiding and responsible citizen, does not mean that the moron on the 20 year old premier padmini taxi, or the spoilt brat / driver in an fast car will do the same.
The arial photograph on TOI today has a nice picture of a fiat taxi merrily taking a u-turn in the middle of the bridge, because of 'traffic'.
And for sure I (who would try to respect the law) wouldnt want to be at the receiving end of a mishap, because of those who dont care two hoots for others safety and civic sense.

Build dividers, put speed limiters .. and yes fine them heavily, revoke their licenses if need be.
Permanent dividers cannot be built because this is finally supposed to be a one way after the second carriage is thrown open to the public. But like Aditya mentioned, putting barrels with ropes rather than those plastic barricades would be a better idea.

Another thing is that even the supercars of Mumbai rip across the Sealink at nights. I wouldnt be too surprised to see one of these exotics crashing into a car or a cab taking a U turn out there.

Bottom line is that people in Mumbai are starved of empty roads so no sooner they see a clear empty stretch, they let loose.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Past few days seeing a gross decline in driver's common sense levels in Mumbai
Perhaps a lot of drivers from our neck of the woods (NCR) have migrated to Mumbai .

Last edited by suman : 17th December 2009 at 16:49.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You are dead right mate, But the tragedy is, we only have HALF the bridge here my friend and we are using it as a FULL Bridge.! This is still like a de-tour and it must be considered that way, until the complete bridge is finished and open for traffice. And on de-tours, you have speed reducer rumbles in order to reduce / limit the speed to 'safe' limits to avoid accidents.

We have a typcial example in Chennai:
We have a similar bridge recently opened for traffic at Chennai. Its the PADI elevated round-about. Its a crossing of 2 major roads and elevated full circle roundabout, with 4 entries and 4 exits at the higher elevation.
This bridge was opened to traffic few months ago and accidents galore up there, as people didn't know 'right-of-way' for entry and exit at roundabouts, entering and exiting at will and at higher speeds as well.

Now they have installed speed breaking rumbles at each entry and on the roundabout as well at 4 places, in order to reduce speeds of people entering and exiting.
Very good results after installing these rumbles and believe me, it doesn't cause any traffic jam up there.

See picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents on the Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai-img00275.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2009 at 17:44. Reason: Removing tags
Old 17th December 2009, 17:52   #58
BHPian

Next time if children fall in your house then you will install speedbreakers in your house too ?

People are getting ridiculous everywhere. If there is a Faster Car then if you moved over first then he might not have to put in a Dangerous Overtaking Move on you or anyone else for that matter.

I do not know what vehicles these people own (if they own any) who are advising for Speedbreakers everywhere. There is a New Speedbreaker built at a Busy Traffic Junction recently on the grounds that it will help flow of traffic.

The Results are Shocking. The time taken before speedbreaker was maximum 10 minutes. It now is 30 minutes minimum. So did the speedbreaker help ? NO.

The person who also advises for this Yellow Markings and all sounds to me like he is the one making these. He does not drive a car(or any vehicle) or does not care as he is making good money from making these.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next time if children fall in your house then you will install speedbreakers in your house too ?

People are getting ridiculous everywhere. If there is a Faster Car then if you moved over first then he might not have to put in a Dangerous Overtaking Move on you or anyone else for that matter.

I do not know what vehicles these people own (if they own any) who are advising for Speedbreakers everywhere. There is a New Speedbreaker built at a Busy Traffic Junction recently on the grounds that it will help flow of traffic.

The Results are Shocking. The time taken before speedbreaker was maximum 10 minutes. It now is 30 minutes minimum. So did the speedbreaker help ? NO.

The person who also advises for this Yellow Markings and all sounds to me like he is the one making these. He does not drive a car(or any vehicle) or does not care as he is making good money from making these.
Speed breakers are to prevent Accidents and not only to regulate or control traffic.

I lived in Royal Commission in Saudi Arabia for 10 years (And I have been driving Galants, Camrys and Ford Mountaineers there), which was designed and Built by Bechtel, one of the best Engineering Companies in the world and at every major junction and before traffic lights, they had speed breakers, only because, the roads were also used by Saudis, in addition to expats, who drive wrecklessly, endangering other's lives.

It depends whats your priority.
1. Safety
2. Speed
3. Time taken to Cross.

Here we are talking about a 'precarious elevated road up above the sea, Half completed, with noway to move over in case of emergency.
This is not equal to 'everywhere' my friend.!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 17th December 2009 at 18:21.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:20   #60
BHPian

1. Lane width: As someone has already mentioned, the width of each lane on the Sea Link is a tad narrow. One could argue it is as broad as or broader than most Bombay roads. Point well taken but most drivers on Bombay roads are unable to stay between two white lines marked for the very purpose. There are so many drivers who just cannot judge the left side and inevitably end up saddling the right side of the lane marker.

2. Lane driving skill: Take a simple example. When you enter the sea link from Worli, all too soon there is a S – bend in the road. Unless you are within the speed limit, there is a lower chance of keeping within the lines. Yes, some of us have the skills, the tires and the cars with the best road manners to go through that S Bend faster but the rest don’t. Many drivers use the straight line route if they see no car in sight in order to keep up their speed. Still others saddle the lines on the S – Bend. It’s very difficult for a majority of drivers to keep within that. And it’s not that they can’t do it. It’s just that they are not used to doing so. Many of us have driven on interstates in the US. You would realize that many first timers from India tend to sway from lane to lane as their speeds go higher. The reason is that most of us are not used to it.

3. Sea Link ‘Wow or View’ factor: The link is still relatively new. It is my belief that concentration levels of 75% of the drivers will be lower that say 100% for the first year of the sea link. Once on it, many tend to look around, catch the views, and look at the wires holding it in amazement. I do all those things too but only when I am a passenger and not a driver. Its simple human factors.

4. Phone Jammers: I’m not sure if it’s possible but if it is, jam all mobile phones while on the sea link. They should become unusable. Until everyone learns not to use their phone while driving, unfortunate passengers have to suffer as well. But that’s ok as long as it teaches people something and saves lives.

5. Traffic Flow: Depending on the time of day, keep all lanes going one way. For office hours in the morning keep all lanes going south. Yes it might be the craziest idea and I would hate it if implemented but maybe it will help save lives until people get more road aware.

The above are a few points in my view that should be looked into deeper.

Most Viewed