Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 17:19   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Same with my Swift. Apparently there is no problem with the ABS, but I get tire screech on sudden braking, and have never yet felt that pedal judder.

But, back in UK, I could get that ABS thing to happen at walking pace --- on ice! I never noticed it otherwise. (Rover 620, Brit-built Honda Accord)
Old 17th June 2008, 17:31   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
I have taken the car to MASS and they said they cann't find the problem.
Please suggest what to look for and where.
Ask them to change the ABS kit under warranty. This is the first time I'm hearing of ABS cars (yours & now Thad) where the pedal doesn't judder/pulsate under severe & sudden braking
Old 18th June 2008, 22:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Same with my Swift. Apparently there is no problem with the ABS, but I get tire screech on sudden braking, and have never yet felt that pedal judder.

But, back in UK, I could get that ABS thing to happen at walking pace --- on ice! I never noticed it otherwise. (Rover 620, Brit-built Honda Accord)
Just take you car on gravel and see if the ABS works. Hard braking at even 20-30 kph should make the ABS kick in.
Old 19th June 2008, 03:00   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll have to find a sandy bit of the OMR.

Worries me that, if the sand/grit is not even, that I may end up going sideways --- or worse.
Old 19th June 2008, 09:37   #170
BHPian

Does Santro Xing GLS AT come with ABS?

Never sure which thread is appropriate for my queries. I am planning on Santro Xing AT. I always wanted an Automatic transmission car with atleast ABS (if not airbags). AT's (as far as I Know) have no other way to slow down from high speed in case of emergencies, except slamming on the brakes, unlike engine braking/downshifting as in Stick shift vehicles.

I just checked the carwale website and it mentions that ABS is optional.
The ABS discussion thread-santroabs.jpg
No mention of that on Hyundai website and no reply from Hyundai when I use the contact us option. Dealers in Bangalore say that ABS is not an option.

Can anyone confirm that. Any news on i10 AT ?

-Shashi
Old 19th June 2008, 09:50   #171
Senior - BHPian

Screeching with ABS should not happen, get it checked.

Thats what ABS does, no burning of tyres on sudden braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Old 20th June 2008, 09:17   #172
BHPian

Swift ABS clarification

I also have an ABS equipped swift VDI. I am also facing the same issue, back wheels are getting locked and I can see the tyre markings in the road. I contacted Maruti, and they asked me to get it checked with the MASS. I took it to Indus Motors, Kakkand, and they confirmed that there is no problem in the ABS system, and wheel lock up can't be avoided. They told me that they cleaned up the back wheel drums etc... Now I am totally confused. If wheel lockup can't avoided then what is the purpose of ABS? I went back to Maruti, with the same question, and no reply from them for the past two days, What to do next?
Old 20th June 2008, 10:54   #173
BHPian

Is Maruti supplying cheap ABS equipments?
How can one say that wheel lock up can't be avoided even with ABS system.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:19   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the Swift have 4-wheel ABS?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the ABS version installed is the cheaper 2 channel-ABS which works ONLY on the front wheels thereby allowing you to maintain steering control.

The rear tyre WILL lock up under hard braking (hard enough to activate ABS) and also depending on the tyres fitted (stock or upsized), road surface, directional angle of car when braking and load in the car.
Old 20th June 2008, 13:18   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Does the Swift have 4-wheel ABS?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the ABS version installed is the cheaper 2 channel-ABS which works ONLY on the front wheels thereby allowing you to maintain steering control.

The rear tyre WILL lock up under hard braking (hard enough to activate ABS) and also depending on the tyres fitted (stock or upsized), road surface, directional angle of car when braking and load in the car.
I believe its 2 wheel ABS for swift. You can confirm it with the two tubes from the ABS assembly.
Old 20th June 2008, 20:15   #176
Senior - BHPian

The Swift uses a 2 channel 4 wheel ABS system. The ABS unit has 2 feed tubes coming in and 4 going out.
Old 20th June 2008, 20:53   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Exact Swift issue discussed and probably resolved (read the last post) in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ms-anyone.html

Vikram_d: Thanks for the clarification!
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:32   #178
BHPian

Swift ABS

Today Maruti engineer (territory service manager) came and checked my vehicle. We did quiet a few test drives, and I could able to show him the tyre markings coming on the road. As per him the tyre markings will come, and is un-avoidable. This is coming because of the friction between the tyre and road. Following is the explanation given to me. Once we apply the break then there will be a friction difference between the tyre and road, due to this friction only the vehicle is coming to complete stop. In between what ABS does is instead of directly giving the complete break power, it cuts the applied break, and and then apply the break 240 time intervals in a second manner, and hence maintains the direction (which is true in my case). In a non-abs car the break is applied in one shot and hence chances of skidding. Because of the friction the tyre markings will come. They checked the any error codes for the ABS was present or not, and none were there, And he says that there were judders on the break pedal (which I couldn't able to sense at all). He says that since the judder is light it may not be felt to me.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2008 at 12:06. Reason: Font tags removed.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:07   #179
Team-BHP Support

Hi Manoj,

Everything said to you sounds fairly correct.

The judder (and a metallic tak-tak-tak noise) are felt only during VERY hard braking.

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Manoj,

Everything said to you sounds fairly correct.

The judder (and a metallic tak-tak-tak noise) are felt only during VERY hard braking.

cya
R
Yes, sometimes it could not be felt through the brake pedal, but the sound will be heard tak-tak-tak when the car is being stopped with hard braking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks