Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 03:02   #181
Senior - BHPian

Manoj, the judders are difficult to notice on dry tarmac, unless you are doing panic braking, try doing it where there is a bit of sand on the road, or wet tarmac(ensure safety before doing). It is easier to test ABS work in these conditions.
Old 24th June 2008, 06:25   #182
Senior - BHPian

I just rode an '08 FZ6 with ABS today and it was awesome. I love bikes with ABS.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:44   #183
Senior - BHPian

In low traction conditions abs does work by preventing wheel lock up but at the same time causes an increase in breaking distance. Depending upon the terrain you are on... say for example a long stretch of gravel road, if you need to brake hard then sometimes the brake judder is so much(since the abs feels desperate) that you wonder if the vehicle is ever going to stop. This is especially true if you are trying to negotiate a rough terrain bend at high speeds. IMO, abs works best in the rains on tarmac... but for sakes of pure fun... i think it sucks.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:00   #184
BHPian

I will update, Till now I couldn't able to find out a location, where I felt safe for testing. Mostly in the city and narrow roads, as of now I am assuming that there is no problem in my car's ABS,
Old 11th September 2008, 14:17   #185
spyker13

plus pot holes and humps too.so i feel ABS sometimes can be a total disaster for the indian roads.

Old 12th September 2008, 06:44   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker13 View Post
plus pot holes and humps too.so i feel ABS sometimes can be a total disaster for the indian roads.
Please explain how. Have you driven an ABS car for any length of time to come to such a conclusion? The pros far outweigh the cons(which is only on gravel/snow)
Old 12th September 2008, 10:01   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker13 View Post
Could you please elaborate which times ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW77 View Post
Is Maruti supplying cheap ABS equipments?
All MSIL ABS kits are procured directly from SGP (Japan).

Last edited by s0uljah : 12th September 2008 at 10:06. Reason: Added bmw77 quote
Old 12th September 2008, 21:42   #188
BHPian

Frankly, I would rather put my money on better footwear and brakes than ABS any day, somehow I get really scared by the thought that my car won't do what I want it to do when I need it most.
Old 12th September 2008, 23:45   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Like have the steering wheel actually do something when you are about to hit someone?

That's what ABS is about.

I've only once stood on the brake with a collision inevitable because there is no possibility of steering (wheel might as well have been disconnected). I can't say for certain that I could have avoided that accident if the car had ABS, but it would have given me a better chance.

Remember ABS is for serious emergencies. In normal driving, even in India, you should never even be aware of it.
Old 13th September 2008, 07:42   #190
BHPian

Footwear it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Frankly, I would rather put my money on better footwear and brakes than ABS any day, somehow I get really scared by the thought that my car won't do what I want it to do when I need it most.
I agree!!

Just visit think post of mine. TYRE TEST VIDEO. I have posted a video of a test by tirerack which shows a 2mm difference in tread depth makes a difference of upto 100 feet in braking distance with A.B.S.

So footwear is very important.
Old 13th September 2008, 08:15   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your forum ID kind of spells that out for us!

Better foorwear and brakes will help no doubt. But what good is it when your 30k aftermarket brakes lockup your 25k imported tyres and your car turns into a hurtling mass of metal with no definate direction?
Old 13th September 2008, 15:58   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Your forum ID kind of spells that out for us!

Better foorwear and brakes will help no doubt. But what good is it when your 30k aftermarket brakes lockup your 25k imported tyres and your car turns into a hurtling mass of metal with no definate direction?
What do you do when your 60k ABS system decides that steering control would be a better idea than a quick stop? Write a complaint letter from the grave? The other day, the signal that's obscured by the trees caught me by surprise on the worli seaface road. I managed to stop with less than an inch to spare between me and the corolla ahead of me. With ABS I would have had an option of a) hitting the Corolla or b) the BMW to the right of it or c) the taxi to the left of it.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:04   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two big mistakes that people make about ABS:

--- that it necessarily shortens stopping distances

--- that it necessarily lengthens stopping distances

However, on a reasonably normal road surface, it is very unlikely to lengthen them, because its purpose is to maintain brake pressure at maximum efficiency. The fact that this is just before lock-up also gives us the side result that steering may be possible.

There is every chance that ABS might have given you two inches to spare! If you skidded to a halt, ABS would likely have given you better stopping distance. If you didn't, it wouldn't have made any difference!

Once graves come into the question, there is probably nothing that the best braking technology could have done anyway --- although the thing I'd most like then is called, I think, Brake Assist, which senses, Sheesh, this is for real and increases the brake pressure beyond what your foot can apply
Old 13th September 2008, 18:41   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you do when your 60k ABS system decides that steering control would be a better idea than a quick stop? Write a complaint letter from the grave?
My SGP ABS kit cost 20k and Im loving it! Didnt know 60k one's have the power to put you in the grave. Heck There's heaps of people out there who would put you in the grave for a fraction of that sum!

All these years we have all managed without ABS, so it isnt a necessity.

Remember the ABS gives you the option of steering... not forces you to steer.

Im glad I waited those extra months for the option though. Like Kuttapan said earlier in this thread... just get on with your non-ABS lives
Old 13th September 2008, 19:47   #195
BHPian

well, while driving the normal cars as well, its always adviced by experience drivers to use brakes with Breaks, just to avoid locking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks