Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 19:27   #346
BHPian

4x4 (4H) steering

I looked up this thread to read, AFTER having an ABS moment this morning on my way to work. And I stumbled upon something else.

I might be prosecuted for bumping this thread (one of the best BTW) with an question but I really need an answer to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But when you are in 4x4 mode (I don't mean AWD), you are not supposed to turn the steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In 4WD mode you are very much allowed to turn the steering should you wish to go that way. All part-time 4WD vehicles use limited slip differentials and can handle twists and turns in the path.
The only important condition is that you must use 4WD mode only on surfaces where there is slip and NOT on dry, hard pavement.
If 4WD mode is used on twisty, dry pavement where good grip is available it will lead to rapid wear or even 'binding' of the transmission.
Last weekend, I had a lovely evening on the beach sand in Pondicherry where I drove my 4x4 to glory, and it involved QUITE a LOT of turning (even U-turns). I am wondering if any part of my beloved is damaged by this? I'm handing over my vehicle for servicing tomorrow, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should ask the SEs to check-out.

Old 29th September 2011, 20:54   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 4x4 (4H) steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
...I drove my 4x4 to glory, and it involved QUITE a LOT of turning (even U-turns). I am wondering if any part of my beloved is damaged by this? I'm handing over my vehicle for servicing tomorrow, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should ask the SEs to check-out.
Good you enjoyed yourself. Nothing would go wrong in sand. Just ask the fellows to wash the undercarriage REALLY well to remove all the salt, sand and seawater that coated it. Salt corrodes, and your main worry ought to be rust if thorough cleaning isn't done.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:10   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend, I had a lovely evening on the beach sand in Pondicherry where I drove my 4x4 to glory, and it involved QUITE a LOT of turning (even U-turns). I am wondering if any part of my beloved is damaged by this?
When driving off the tar top roads, you haven't got much to worry about. BTW, what kind of a 4x4 do you drive? Knowing which vehicle you drive would enable us to determine what type of 4x4 system is in the vehicle.

BTW, some vehicles like the Yamaha Raptor and Banshee come with a warning indicating that drivers should avoid running the vehicles on paved surfaces. Perhaps its because of an AWD.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:43   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
When driving off the tar top roads, you haven't got much to worry about. BTW, what kind of a 4x4 do you drive? Knowing which vehicle you drive would enable us to determine what type of 4x4 system is in the vehicle.

BTW, some vehicles like the Yamaha Raptor and Banshee come with a warning indicating that drivers should avoid running the vehicles on paved surfaces. Perhaps its because of an AWD.
K_nitin_r, it's the part-time 4x4 (4H) on the Ford Endeavour. I just slotted into 4H on the transfer case and entered the beach sand.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:45   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Good you enjoyed yourself. Nothing would go wrong in sand. Just ask the fellows to wash the undercarriage REALLY well to remove all the salt, sand and seawater that coated it. Salt corrodes, and your main worry ought to be rust if thorough cleaning isn't done.
Thanks SS-Traveller! I asked the SAs to thoroughly clean the underbody and he promised to do it and then he also sold me a 3M underbody coating
Old 10th October 2011, 11:59   #351
BHPian

re: The ABS discussion thread

Team,
I believe ABS is a non-destructive mechanism.

Still, is there anything that needs to be checked after you have had ABS moments? Or will the ABS warning light tell you when something wrong has happened or when it's time to do so?

Just returned from a 2000+ kms long trip on the highways in TN and KL and had a few ABS moments; so, just wanted to reassure myself that everything is OK.
Old 10th October 2011, 20:45   #352
Senior - BHPian

ABS monitors itself, so nothing further you can do. Some people report unusual wear patterns on the rotors because of repeated ABS cutting in. I personally don't buy it.

Quote:
Just returned from a 2000+ kms long trip on the highways in TN and KL and had a few ABS moments;
However, assuming a few actually means quite a few,
The conditions were really treacherous, or
You need to reexamine your driving style, or
There is something in your car (brake or tyre related) which is causing wheel lockup very easily. This needs to be looked into.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 22:11   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
However, assuming a few actually means quite a few,
The conditions were really treacherous, or
You need to reexamine your driving style, or
There is something in your car (brake or tyre related) which is causing wheel lockup very easily. This needs to be looked into.
It's only a few. 4-5 to be near exact. I did feel one or two shudders at the pedal, hence my assumption that ABS did kick in.

- Two of them were at 100+ and 130+ speeds when I had to slow down in order to maintain a safe distance when the vehicle ahead slowed down. The shudders during these instances were very light. I only felt it because it was different from normal braking.

- The rest were at slow speeds, say 50-60 when the truck ahead of me was slowing down abruptly and I didn't notice it because 1) he had no tail lights! and 2) I was actually tiring out. The shudders were more "noticeable".

But you are right in that my driving style needs re-looking at. These ABS moments made a mental note of themselves in my mind and there indeed are lessons learnt!
Old 27th October 2011, 09:42   #354
BHPian

The ABS lights in my car remain on all the time starting from last Sunday. I had taken it to Hyundai *** and they found that the scanner is not showing the speed from the front left wheel. They tried to change the sensor with a working one and still the lights were on. We checked the sensor from my car on another verna and it was working fine.

They checked the wiring to an extent and said that there seems to be no problem. I was in the service center whole day yesterday and they coudlnt figure out what the issue was.

They said that they will replace the ABS motor. BTW what is ABS motor?

I had taken it to Advaith hyundai on ORR, Bangalore. I somehow feel that the technicians and not competent enough. No one was clear what to check and how to that. For anything and everything they used to ask the service advisor and a discussion used to happen and then they check some thing or other.

I am planning to go to service center on saturday again.

Anyone has any experience with Advaith on similar issues? BTW i drive a 2009 model verna.

Any suggestion/help is highly appreciated.

I have extended warranty from hyundai. So will i be able to claim this using extended warranty. Can i calim the parts cost only or along with service charge?

Thanks,
Arun

Last edited by ArunV : 27th October 2011 at 09:44. Reason: Edit:
Old 27th October 2011, 10:06   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
I have extended warranty from hyundai. So will i be able to claim this using extended warranty. Can i calim the parts cost only or along with service charge?

Thanks,
Arun
Since the extended warranty is applicable on your car, I hope Hyundai honors the warranty and cover the cost involved.

You dont need to pay single pie for the warranty replacement.

Do keep us posted on how things proceed and more importantly do not agree to pay for the part replacement as it has to be done free of cost.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:25   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Do keep us posted on how things proceed and more importantly do not agree to pay for the part replacement as it has to be done free of cost.
Thanks nkrishnap,
I am goin back to service center on saturday morning. Will update after that.

I found that the service guys at trident are much better than Advaith. In advaith, most of the time, the guys are either on phone or doing time pass talking to each other. I spend one full day in the service bay and could see this in real.
Old 27th October 2011, 13:26   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Thanks nkrishnap,
I am goin back to service center on saturday morning. Will update after that.

I found that the service guys at trident are much better than Advaith. In advaith, most of the time, the guys are either on phone or doing time pass talking to each other. I spend one full day in the service bay and could see this in real.
Completely agree with you Arun. Not only in the Advaith there are many other Authorized Service Centers of other car makers which are pretty much the same.

Do keep us posted.
Old 31st October 2011, 09:49   #358
BHPian

Finally the issue is solved. They replaced the part where the sensor is connected in the rear left. The error in scanner showed something like 'Airgap in R/L'.

They removed the same part from another verna and tried it in my verna and tested it. Once it was found that it is working fine, they replaced it with a new part.

The part costs Rs 4858/-. Luckily my car was still under extended warranty.
Old 29th November 2011, 13:56   #359
BHPian

The ABS warning light on the cluster is coming on. I had changed the sensor in the rear wheel last month as they diagnosed that the sensor had some issue.

But now the lights are 'On' now again. The lights come on during driving and it goes off sometimes.

I am planning to take it to trident hyundai tomorrow.
Old 24th February 2012, 19:04   #360
BHPian

hi guys,
does anyone know how much does a i20 ABS module cost ? The service center guy is telling me that my ABS module is reporting as "failed" in the scanner and he is suggesting that it will cost upward of 60-70 grand so I should not even try to get it replaced.

Please help guys, I am very worried about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks