Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 15:11   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Let me relate an incident that happened in one of the roads inside the AIIMS campus around 9:30 AM today.
I was slowly driving on the road toward Cardiothoracic center in my Santro to pick up my Dad, when I noticed a Wagon R tailing me quite closely.
Anyways, Dad spotted the Santro and got in, and pick-up over, I signaled the Wagon R behind me, that I wanted to make a U turn.
Now on this road, space is a major constraint, so the only way out is a 3 point turn - which I proceeded to do as quickly as possible.

Right in the middle of executing this 3 point turn, the Wagon R, coolly steps in and parallel parks right behind me, leaving me no space to reverse.

I saw RED. In a fit of rage, I moved ahead, put the car in Reverse, and deliberately backed into his driver door - and then drove away. Obviously he has a dent. Nothing happened to my Santro.

Right now - brooding over my action. I guess on the one-hand I wanted to get even, and on the other hand thinking perhaps should have ignored the aggression of the Wagon R driver.

Normally am a very placid driver, and choose to ignore others rashness/aggressiveness/bad driving - but I guess today was an exception.
Did I do wrong?
Yes, sir!

People are stupid, they drive thinking they have inherited the road. If everyone ends up "trying to get even" with such people, there would be no sensible drivers around!

Luckily, he din't confront you. Had he, I'm sure he wouldn't admit that it was his mistake to block your reverse and it would end up being an unpleasant situation.

There are many on the roads who don't deserve to drive, some with the best cars around. But you can't mess it up for yourself just because they do wrong.

Don't sweat over it, chuck it now!

cheers!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 19:42   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Am at 100 or so and see a turn on the highway, reduce to 80 take the initial part of the turn at 80. then see the turn becoming sharper so have to reduce speed. now I'm already in the turn so have to apply break of downshift. Tyres squeal. No alternative to this?
Sometimes life, and corners, take us by surprise like this, but, of course, in theory we should have been prepared.

What do others do in this situation? braking as gently as possible?
Old 1st December 2010, 22:02   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sometimes life, and corners, take us by surprise like this, but, of course, in theory we should have been prepared.

What do others do in this situation? braking as gently as possible?
I will just proceed and take the corner. I would put my entire trust on my tyres.

I would rather make my tyres squeal at a corner than squeal because of brakes

PS: I have encountered this once or twice and did just what I said. I was saved by quality rubber.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:59   #109

"Mid-Lane Driving in India"

A close observation of how all of us drive on road these days makes me put forth food for thought:

"Mid-lane driving”, which is a very promising driving technique practiced by majority of educated drivers in India (Read educated engineers in Bangalore). If you are moving slowly on the second lane of a 4 lane road full of traffic and you see sufficient gap between two vehicles on two adjacent lanes in front of you, your mind gives you an impulsive signal to accelerate on 2nd gear to occupy this intermittent gap ahead of you. After having done so, you experience the bliss of mid-lane driving. Such a driving technique gives a dual ownership of two half lanes on either side. You have the flexibility of occupying either the right or the left lane per your convenience as you drive on the the road. If you see a bus stopping in front of you blocking way, you have the privilege of quietly shifting on to the right lane giving an impression to the vehicles behind you that you were just a visitor on the left lane. If you see a vehicle waiting to turn right at a signal blocking your way, you again have the flexibility to steer away to your left. This technique is a classic example of capitalizing on an opportunity (space) with a combined effort of sight (oversight) and mind before the opportunity goes out of site, out of mind !

I have started to explain myself that my own safety is more important than reaching my office or some designated place on time. The traffic on road will remain the same if not worst in the next few years. I make an earnest attempt to drive without any need for rushing. The road is full of idiots and reckless. It is your choice not to be one !
Old 5th May 2011, 13:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Mid-Lane Driving in India"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj.sinha View Post
A close observation of how all of us drive on road these days makes me put forth food for thought:

"Mid-lane driving”, which is a very promising driving technique practiced by majority of educated drivers in India (Read educated engineers in Bangalore). If you are moving slowly on the second lane of a 4 lane road full of traffic and you see sufficient gap between two vehicles on two adjacent lanes in front of you, your mind gives you an impulsive signal to accelerate on 2nd gear to occupy this intermittent gap ahead of you. After having done so, you experience the bliss of mid-lane driving. Such a driving technique gives a dual ownership of two half lanes on either side. You have the flexibility of occupying either the right or the left lane per your convenience as you drive on the the road. If you see a bus stopping in front of you blocking way, you have the privilege of quietly shifting on to the right lane giving an impression to the vehicles behind you that you were just a visitor on the left lane. If you see a vehicle waiting to turn right at a signal blocking your way, you again have the flexibility to steer away to your left. This technique is a classic example of capitalizing on an opportunity (space) with a combined effort of sight (oversight) and mind before the opportunity goes out of site, out of mind !

I have started to explain myself that my own safety is more important than reaching my office or some designated place on time. The traffic on road will remain the same if not worst in the next few years. I make an earnest attempt to drive without any need for rushing. The road is full of idiots and reckless. It is your choice not to be one !
I thought driving like this was illegal and an invitation for a fine (if the thulla catches you)

Also, how does this become a safe driving technique? Apart from inconveniencing everybody the driver is inviting his cousin (another guy following his technique but following him behind) to occupy that partially empty space on either side, without as much as a honk.

Last edited by vina : 5th May 2011 at 13:10.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:40   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

Correct driving is to occupy one lane only. There may be short periods when we compromise on this, but there is no good mid-lane technique.
Quote:
Very true! We should also not be obsessed with a desire to drive at 5kmph more than the general traffic flow, or to overtake the car ahead, just because it is there!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Did I do wrong?

Quote:
...and deliberately backed into his driver door - and then drove away....
...just not done, sir.

Quote:
... the aggression of the Wagon R driver...
The Wagon R driver's actions don't seem like anything 'aggressive'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...There are many on the roads who don't deserve to drive, some with the best cars around. But you can't mess it up for yourself just because they do wrong....
Beautifully put, libranof1987 , I agree wholeheartedly.

PS : "many on the roads who don't deserve to drive" : as in, they have not trained themselves suitably before driving on public roads, not in any other sense.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th May 2011 at 15:05.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj.sinha View Post
I don't think I've read something that good in a long time, way to go. By the way, did vina not get the sarcasm or you don't have that amazing sense of humour that I thought you did?

Last edited by fine69 : 6th May 2011 at 12:37.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 13:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I don't think I've read something that good in a long time, way to go. By the way, did vina not get the sarcasm or you don't have that amazing sense of humour that I thought you did?

I didn't get the sarcasm at first. Now that you have pointed it out, I feel it is indeed funny.

By the way - how do you avoid such drivers on the road?
Old 6th May 2011, 13:34   #115
BHPian

A very useful thread indeed. Glad that I bumped on it today. Btw how do you let the driver behind you know that he can overtake? Badly need this cos I just drive @ 80kmh on 2 lane SH's and don't want to hinder those Schumacher's
Old 6th May 2011, 13:49   #116
BHPian

Just wanted to add 1 thing which we all forget:

NO HONKING near or inside hospital premises (or where prohibited by a sign)

More often than not we have a habit of giving a short beep (honk) when we approach people walking on the road 3~5 abreast with no concern for the cars on the road and engrossed in their own world. In fact, I found myself in this situation the other day inside of a hospital campus and let the horn rip.

I realised my error later and felt like an idiot!
Old 6th May 2011, 14:07   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I didn't get the sarcasm at first. Now that you have pointed it out, I feel it is indeed funny.

By the way - how do you avoid such drivers on the road?
You can't avoid particular drivers by choice. All I do is leave more than adequate space when driving so that I'm not taken by surprise when some moron swerves in my lane. This takes care of idiots who suddenly cut in front of me. How? Well they don't see me as a threat since I'm already leaving more than ample space between my car and the one I'm following so they get the idea that I'm in no hurry and wouldn't accelerate when they try to get in to my lane so they take it a little easy.

Recall those chaffeur-driven exotics that look like they have all the time in the world, I drive like that in delhi traffic. Not loosing cool and driving like this helps me keep most of the morons away.

EDIT: I rip the heart out of my Swift DDiS on smooth tarmac of Rajasthan.

Last edited by fine69 : 6th May 2011 at 14:09.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:52   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
A very useful thread indeed. Glad that I bumped on it today. Btw how do you let the driver behind you know that he can overtake? Badly need this cos I just drive @ 80kmh on 2 lane SH's and don't want to hinder those Schumacher's
Is the highway with a divider?
If yes, you could just move to the left lane only if and when feasible.

If no, you could blink your "left" indicator and/or wave your hand for him to overtake you.

If you don't see it feasible to make way for him, don't bother about the excessive honks till you are comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Just wanted to add 1 thing which we all forget:

NO HONKING near or inside hospital premises (or where prohibited by a sign)

More often than not we have a habit of giving a short beep (honk) when we approach people walking on the road 3~5 abreast with no concern for the cars on the road and engrossed in their own world.
Couldn't agree more. Some campuses (hospitals, colleges) are meant to be noise-free and they should be kept that way.

Some people just get a pathetic ego-trip by honking in such premises.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:29   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the highway with a divider?
If yes, you could just move to the left lane only if and when feasible.

If no, you could blink your "left" indicator and/or wave your hand for him to overtake you.
There is only the hand signal where you move your hand in a semicircle direction from back to front for indicating to the guy behind that he can overtake. The indicator is to be used only to indicate the direction in which you wish to turn and for nothing else. In India, unfortunately, we have multiple meanings for blinking the indicator depending on which part of India you are.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:18   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
There is only the hand signal where you move your hand in a semicircle direction from back to front for indicating to the guy behind that he can overtake. The indicator is to be used only to indicate the direction in which you wish to turn and for nothing else. In India, unfortunately, we have multiple meanings for blinking the indicator depending on which part of India you are.
Definitely agree with you on the indicator usage!

But, when I was taking driving lessons in the UK, I had asked my instructor on how do I indicate to the vehicle behind me to overtake. He simply said 'U dont'. This he explained is because it is upto the driver of the vehicle behind you to judge and drive suitably. (depending on his level of vehicular control/ speed/ road condition/ traffic restrictions etc). In India I suppose indicating with your hand is the only way out.

Another thing that is mis-used or rather has a different meaning in India is the use of the headlight. In the UK, you flash your light to ask another vehicle to go! Here, its who flashes first that has the right of way! I think the concept of 'right of way' is just not understood by many in India. This is one of the prime reasons we have most of the accidents.

Most Viewed