Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 23:40   #286
BHPian

Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

adding on some more that I found on the internet

http://rto.kar.nic.in/roadsafetycss.html

Below is the content from the above link. Giving this as well just in case in the future the link wouldn't work -

The Rules Of The Road Regulations,1989 was brought into effect from July 1, 1989. It serves as a basic guide for the driver showcasing the rules which he has to follow while on the roads. It deals with basic facts such as overtaking, traffic signals, towing, speed limits, the necessary documents to be carried while driving and such other neglected but imperative points nonetheless.

•Keep Left:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall drive the vehicle as close to the left side of the road as may be expedient and shall allow all traffic which is proceeding in the opposite direction to pass on his right hand side.

•Turning to the Left and Right:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall:

1.1. When turning to the left, drive as close as maybe to theleft hand side of the road from which he is making the turn and of the road which he is entering.

2.When turning to the right draw as near as near as may be to the centre of the road which the driver is entering.

•Passing to the Right:

Except as provided in regulation 5, the driver of a motor vehicle shall pass to the right of all traffic proceeding in the same direction as himself.

•Passing to the Left:

The driver of a motor vehicle may pass to the left of a vehicle, the driver of which having indicated an intention to turn to the right has drawn to the centre of the road and may pass on either side, a tram car or other vehicle running on fixed rails whether travelling in the same direction as himself or otherwise provided that in no case shall he pass a tram car at a time or in a manner likely to cause danger or inconvenience to other users of the road including persons leaving or about to enter tram cars.

•Overtaking prohibited in certain cases: The driver of a motor vehicle shall not pass a vehicle travelling in the same direction as himself:

1.If his passing is likely to pass inconvenience or danger to other traffic proceding in any direction

2.If he is near a point, a bend or corner or a hill or other obstructionof any kind that renders the road ahead not clearly visible

3.If he knows that the driver who is following him has not signalled that he may be overtaken.

•Overtaking not to be obstructed:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, when being overtaken or being passed by another vehicle, increse speed or do anything in any way to prevent the other vehicle from passing him.

•Caution at road junction:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing until he has become aware that he may do so without endangering the safety of persons thereon.

•Giving way to traffic at road junction:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall, on entering a road interjection at which traffic is not being regulated, if the road entered is a main road designated as such, give way to the vehicles proceeding along the road, and in any other case give way to all traffic approaching to the intersection on his right hand.

•Free Passage to Fire Service Vehicles And Ambulances:

Each driver shall on the approach of a fire service vehicle or an ambulance allow it free passage by drawing it to the side of the road.

•Right of way:

Pedestrians have the right of way at uncontrolled pedestrian crossings. When any road is provided with a footpath or cycletrack especially for other traffic, except with permission of a police officer in uniform, a driver shall not drive on such footpath or track.

While on the roads, every one sharing the roads should respect each others presence and their right of advancement on roads. The section below points out some basic tips in order to make driving a smooth experience.

Caution for Cyclists:

1.Wear a cycle helmet and appropriate clothes.
2.Use the cycle lane, where ever provided. Ride on the left of the road, with other traffic.
3.Obey stop signs and traffic lights, like the rest of the traffic.
4.Give signals with one hand while riding. Never ride with just one hand on the handle bar except when giving a signal.
5.Keep both feet on the pedals.
6.Look back over your shoulders and take a right turn comfortably, give way to the traffic coming from behind.
7.Never follow any vehicle closely. Maintain safe distance.
8.Avoid big and busy roads with fast moving traffic.
9.Do not enter a street where you see the "No Entry" sign.
10.Stop before you enter moving traffic from a driveway, a parking lot, a minor road, or from behind a parked car or bus. Go ahead only when the way is clear.
11.If you are passing a stopped car be careful, a door may suddenly open.
12.Never stop your cycle on a pedestrian crossing. Never ride your cycle on a footpath.
13.Never try to overtake- if you must, do it only if the driver of the vehicle in your front has permitted or signaled you to overtake. Never try to overtake a vehicle, which is in the process of taking a turn.
14.Under no circumstances should you ride on the wrong side of the road or cross the road abruptly.
15.Never stop suddenly without showing a signal. Watchfully move towards the left while slowing down, but signal your intentions to the traffic following you.

Caution to pedestrians:

The most important safety tip to reduce pedestrian injuries is to pay attention. Follow safety rules on the road and live long. In order to be safe while walking on roads, keep the following tips in mind:

1.Make eye contact with drivers if possible and make sure that they can see you.
2.Avoid walking next to the kerb with your back to the traffic.
3.Wear or carry something light colored, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats and jackets.
4.Walk between children and the traffic and hold their hands firmly.
5.Always walk on the footpath, where there is no footpath, walk in the right side margin of the road so that you can see the traffic coming in the opposite direction.
6.Cross roads where there are pedestrian crossings. Where there are no pedestrian crossings, watch the traffic on both sides and cross when it is safe.
7.You must not walk on motorways or slip roads except in an emergency.
8.Never walk on the main carriageway.
9.Do not read newspapers or look at hoardings while walking on the road.
10.Do not greet friends on the road.
11.Do not come on to the main road while waiting for a bus. Do not run after a moving bus. Get on or off a bus only when it has stopped to allow you to do so.
12.Do not climb over the barriers or walk between them and the road.
13.You must not get on to or hold on to a moving vehicle.
14.Don't "Drink and Walk."
15.When using any type of crossing you should always check that the traffic.
16.You must not loiter on zebra crossings.
17.If an ambulance, fire engine, police or other emergency vehicle approaches using flashing blue lights, headlights and/or sirens, keep off the road.
18.Do not talk or play games in mobile while crossing the road.
19.Do not keep ear/head phone while walking on road.

Caution for School Children:

Children should be taught the safety code and should not be allowed on the road alone until they can understand and follow it properly. Children learn by example, so parents and teachers should always follow the Code properly when going out with their children. In order to make school children safe on roads, keep the following tips in mind:

1.Always walk on the footpath only. On roads without footpath, walk on the extreme right hand side of the roads.
2.Do not be impatient on the road.
3.Do not rush or run on the road.
4.Cross only at Zebra crossings, traffic signals, subways, foot over-bridges.
5.Cross only on a clear green signal.
6.Do not cross unless all lanes are clear.
7.Never cross a road at a corner or curve.

Caution for Drivers:

Drivers usually drive under tense conditions. They should primarily focus on ways to control aggressiveness:

1.Be a cautious and courteous driver. Have consideration for others.
2.Avoid creating a situation that may provoke another motorist.
3.Don't tailgate.
4.Don't make inappropriate hand and facial gestures.
5.Use horn sparingly.
6.Stay far behind a suspected drunken driver.
7.Always wear safety belts.
8.Use low beams in bad weather conditions.
9.Keep specified speed limits in mind while driving.
10.Limit the speed at curves and turns.
11.During night time be cautious about road signs, pedestrians, animals, slow moving vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles.
12.If someone is catching up and wants to overtake, let him.
13.Don't drive faster than the flow of the traffic.
14.Two wheeler drivers should wear helmets.
15.Car drivers and others in cars should wear seat belts.
16.Always carry your driving license and important documents such as your vehicle registration certificate, insurance certificate, road tax, and P.U.C certificate with you while driving.
17.Don't drink while driving.
18.Don't drive under influence of drugs.
19.Obey all traffic signals, lights and signs.
20.Use indicators and signals while changing lanes.
21.Don't use cell phones while driving.
22.Always stay alert while on road and be considerate to pedestrians especially with senior citizens, handicapped and ladies.
23.Don't overload vehicles.
24.Don't use tinted glasses.
25.Always drive in correct gears.
26.Avoid sudden braking and harsh acceleration.
27.Never use clutch as footrest while driving.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 17th July 2015 at 23:43.
Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 22:21   #287
BHPian

On Indian highways, if a truck on the rightmost lane (usually they stick to them!!!) is in front of you and starts moving to the left lanes, DO NOT assume they are giving way for us to overtake. There might be a vehicle coming in the wrong direction from the opposite side usually the villagers in their tractors or bikes.
rohanak1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 16:56   #288
BHPian

Been looking for a thread on road safety, since I had a few bad experiences over the last couple of weeks(been riding my bike more, for time and money savings).

The number of people who just refuse to dim their lights is insane and the worst part is it is mostly your average upper middle class educated (hopefully) people who are the worst offenders.

I drive at night daily due to my working hours and ensure that my car and bike's lights are functional and properly focussed and try to follow the etiquette of using low beams unless high beams are absolutely necessary.

But the last couple of weeks have got me so mad that I at one point considered carrying a small but powerful LED torch just to blind the idiots in the cars who refuse to dim their lights. I mean even the buses and trucks show courtesy by dimming lights but numerous idiots in their Polos, i20s and such like just refuse to dim their lights even after you flash your lights at them. My bike has a decently powerful 35/35 W headlamp which is quite usable but when flashing the lights has no effect you do feel like taking up militancy and just blinding them for the spite of it.

I mean I follow the rules regardless of whether I drive my car or bike. But why should I keep getting blinded by these idiots on the road. Why can't I pay them back. Hell, I'm even considering getting something like a Thar for my next car with lights installed on the roof (as one would have on a proper off roader) including a couple aimed squarely at where a sedan/ hatch driver would be sitting and let them have a blast of those if they refuse to dim after I flash my headlights.

Sorry for the rant but this has gotten on my nerves so much.

Anyone got any alternative suggestions to help me control my rage?

Last edited by nmenon : 19th February 2016 at 16:57.
Old 19th February 2016, 17:07   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post

Sorry for the rant but this has gotten on my nerves so much.

Anyone got any alternative suggestions to help me control my rage?
I know the feeling - it is worst when the glare just blinds you, especially on fast moving highways where a second delay can be fatal.

The other day, nearly ran over a pedestrian running across the WEH as I just couldn't see him!

Count me in for the Thar with some nice strobe lightbars!

On a more serious note, try putting anti-glare film on your helmet, and stick to the left most part of the road. When faced with the glare, just look away and focus on the road.
Lastly, at a police checkpoint, use the opportunity to ask a cop to tell that moron trailing you to cut off his lights. I've done it, and cops are very helpful!

This has bugged me to such an extent that I've literally pulled some of these moron's on the side and given them a earful. Heck, even went up to a parked vehicle, put my hand in, and switched off his lights for him before walking away.

Last edited by lamborghini : 19th February 2016 at 17:09.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:18   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I know the feeling - it is worst when the glare just blinds you, especially on fast moving highways where a second delay can be fatal.

The other day, nearly ran over a pedestrian running across the WEH as I just couldn't see him!

Count me in for the Thar with some nice strobe lightbars!

On a more serious note, try putting anti-glare film on your helmet, and stick to the left most part of the road. When faced with the glare, just look away and focus on the road.
Lastly, at a police checkpoint, use the opportunity to ask a cop to tell that moron trailing you to cut off his lights. I've done it, and cops are very helpful!

This has bugged me to such an extent that I've literally pulled some of these moron's on the side and given them a earful. Heck, even went up to a parked vehicle, put my hand in, and switched off his lights for him before walking away.
The guys coming up behind are manageable, you can adjust your mirrors a bit. But coming up on the opposite side on a single lane undivided interior road, where the left side is the area you occupy currently and there is no street lighting to speak of.

Roads like this are common in Kerala and half my commute is on that.

The 4 lane highways are fine, you can stick to the left lane, which is what I do anyway, with the morons in big vehicles doing 90 - 100 kmph + in the right lane, you do feel a bit outclassed in an Alto or on any average bike and find it safer to stay on the left and let them fight it out with each other.

Like the idea about telling the cops, but then they'll look at me like I'm a gift from the heavens and bug me for my papers while the moron behind me gets away.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:56   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The guys coming up behind are manageable, you can adjust your mirrors a bit. But coming up on the opposite side on a single lane undivided interior road ... ... ...
Here is the hint that my father gave me many decades ago, and which has served me well:

With full-beam oncoming drivers, it is tempting to look into their lights: do not do that, make an effort to look towards the left-hand roadside.

You still have the road ahead in your view and can drive safely. You can still see the bright oncoming lights, but a lot of the dazzling power of light straight into the eye is gone.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 20:45   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here is the hint that my father gave me many decades ago, and which has served me well:

With full-beam oncoming drivers, it is tempting to look into their lights: do not do that, make an effort to look towards the left-hand roadside.

You still have the road ahead in your view and can drive safely. You can still see the bright oncoming lights, but a lot of the dazzling power of light straight into the eye is gone.
Thanks for that, it is a conscious attempt that I do make but it doesn't work as well on a bike as it does in a car. Especially since there is not much to look at on a narrow road.

More than the blinding it is the concept of the morons not dimming their lights and their sheer arrogance in doing so.

As a generalized concept of riding I read somewhere that you have look where you want to go and not look at any obstacle on the road because you tend to ride towards what you are looking at.
Old 19th February 2016, 22:34   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

I do wonder if anywhere in India, even the dealer workshops, has the equipment to properly set up and aim headlamps? Without that, even low beam can dazzle.

In UK, it would be part of the MOT (test that >3yr-old cars must pass every year) and the car would fail if it is not right.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 23:25   #294
BHPian

Quote:
I do wonder if anywhere in India, even the dealer workshops, has the equipment to properly set up and aim headlamps? Without that, even low beam can dazzle..
Is specialized equipment required for that? If I recall correctly, old car manuals from the 80s had charts and infographics which detailed distances and focusing directions. Some of the old garages also had specific zones with marked out lines (on the floor as well as walls ahead. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this area) where the cars could be parked and headlight focusing performed.
anilp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 23:36   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Is specialized equipment required for that?
Hmmm, now you come to mention it, I remember it, from my childhood, as being marks set out on a wall, but I have a strong feeling that, since 1950=something, it might have got a bit more high tech. I'll see if google knows...

...ok, looks more or less the same!

But I still wonder if anybody bothers.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th February 2016 at 23:39.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 19:24   #296
BHPian

Quote:
I mean I follow the rules regardless of whether I drive my car or bike. But why should I keep getting blinded by these idiots on the road. Why can't I pay them back.
I am on the same boat. I am running with my stock without any upgrades to higher wattage. I do not have problem in the 4 lane however as you have said it is very difficult in the 2 lane roads. Here is what I do. Irrespective of the oncoming guy is showing courtesy or not, I always dim. Especially if there is a 2 wheeler. I have noticed that they struggle with the high beam of stock bulb. This is one of my hope it will change in India. Every one will change if the minority like us continue to follow this. Hope is everything is n't it?

When there is a moron with blinding lights, I first slow down and as others said try to look at the left side of the road instead of the bright light. This is better as you will not know what is infront of you with that dazzing lights. There were instances where I have noticed two wheelers, pedastrians just after these folks passed as I get to see the path ahead. So it is best to slow down first.
blorebuddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:12   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But I still wonder if anybody bothers.
I had to show the electrician at the neighborhood Hyundai A.S.S the last time I went to get some work done on the headlamps (leveler motor acting weird). He went: "Saar, I fixed the motor. Loose contact wonly, it will focus perfectly now".

Most folks there have no idea what the marked wall is for, and I usually drew quite a crowd with my antics (I knew the service manager there so they let me use their wall when I dropped in for service). Given the average age of a service technician these days and the ever-revolving door, most of them can barely handle nuts & bolts stuff, forget focusing headlamps.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:26   #298
BHPian

As far as the focussing of headlamps goes, I find that the 2 service centres (MASS) that I visit do put these boards for the headlamp properly.

@blorebuddy, Totally agree with you. We must as far as possible dim our lights, somewhere someone might actually take notice and start doing the same ( we must never lose hope).

I do slow down especially if I'm on my bike, as you mentioned something might turn up suddenly out of the darkness behind the oncoming guy's lights.

It's just that there are some cars that I recognize by their number plates as regular offenders and I always wish I could do something to teach them a lesson. Stopping a car full of unknown people on a deserted road is not something you would want to do especially when alone (you never know, they might be a bunch of drunks driven by least drunk of the lot, ready at the drop of a hat to clobber you).
nmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:31   #299
Senior - BHPian

question on making u turns
Usually whenever I try to make a U turn, I wait for a gap in traffic. But sometimes, there are no gaps, and i end up gradually nudging my way into the opposite side. This gets me a lot of dirty looks, people honking flashing, near misses with panic braking despite them seeing a while away.

Is there a better/right way?
Old 8th March 2016, 01:15   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Is there a better/right way?
Wait for someone to give way for you. This may mean traffic in two or more lanes stopping to let you in. It's the "better way," but... how long have you got?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed