Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 19:50   #1
BHPian

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit

How many of us would have actually seen airbags deploy after a crash and the pull of seat belts against our chests as the car that we are traveling in collides with another car or an object? Well, God forbid this should happen to anyone but I got to face this scene last Sunday night where my car was involved in a serial collision on the Bangalore- Mysore highway just outside Ramanagaram.

I was with my family returning from Mysore and the time was around 11:15pm. I was driving and my brother-in-law sitting in the passenger seat. At the rear were my Mom, sister, and my 4-year-old niece. We had crossed Ramanagaram and were cruising along the highway and if I remember correctly the speed would have been somewhere around 70-80 km/hr with moderate traffic. I was leisurely driving while all of a sudden I heard a loud bang of metal crashing in front of me and before I could realize that the car in front of me had hit something, I could see a huge mass of white in my windshield and the next moment, I could feel my car crash into something with great impact. I sat stunned, as the whole car shook, jolting everyone inside and pushing the object that was in front until it came to a standstill after a few seconds. All this while, I watched the airbags deploy, some kid falling on my windshield from the car in front, and my windshield crack as my car finally stopped. There was lot of smoke inside the car and a strange smell of chemical due to the deployment of airbags. Quickly I regained my senses and got out of the car. My brother and the rest of my family were behind us in another car and they saw the whole thing happen. They quickly reached us and opened the car and got everyone out. None of us were injured except my mother who was bleeding profusely from the head. She had a huge cut on her forehead and her whole face was swollen. Outside, the scene was of utter chaos with 4 cars scattered on the road and the whole traffic coming to a standstill. I quickly sent my mom in the other car to a nearby hospital and from there she was sent to Bangalore in an ambulance after basic first aid.

This is what happened. A Maruti swift, with 5 occupants, probably drunk, going towards Mysore at high speed, jumped the median and landed on the opposite lane bang opposite a Tata sumo that was in front of me. The swift drove in the wrong direction and hit the sumo head on. Due to the impact, the sumo turned to it left and was perpendicular in front of my car. I had no time to react and banged right into the sumo’s left fender. My car pushed the sumo some distance and then stopped ahead of it. The sumo had a family and one kid was thrown out due to the impact and luckily landed on the windshield of my car and was unhurt except a few cuts on his head. The rear of the swift then hit another Santro behind me on the left lane and came to a standstill.

The damage – All 5 occupants of the swift were badly hurt and one of them died on the spot probably due to the direct impact with the sumo. The swift was badly mangled and just one glance at it told that death was certain for the poor souls in it. Luckily the remaining passengers survived with severe injuries and are/were hospitalized. My car had taken all the impact of the collision with the Tata sumo and I was unhurt due to the seat belt keeping me in place and the airbags deployed preventing any head injuries. The sumo had damages to its left fender and 3 tyres had burst. My car had taken a huge hit and I could see the radiator bent and the whole front bumper caved in. Apart from the bonnet, the driver side fender and door is scratched and dented, the left suspension is damaged. Someone from the local police station arranged for the cars to be towed away to the nearby traffic police station. I took a local bus and left for Bangalore at 5:30 am after giving my complaint and statement to the police. I had to go to Ramanagaram for 2 days continuously to get all the formalities done and get the car released.

My Mom was in hospital for 3 days and luckily she didn’t suffer and fractures except for the numerous hits she had all over the body mostly on her legs. The main injury was the huge cut on her forehead that required around 10 stitches. By the grace of God she is home now and recovering. My sister suffered injuries to her legs but nothing to worry about. My brother-in-law was ok too at the passenger side except for a burn injury he got to his hand due to the heat from the airbag. This is another interesting discussion on why the airbags automatically deflated after a while.

I got the car towed to the service station in Bangalore on Tuesday night. The initial estimate given by the service station is a staggering 7.5 lakhs for repairs and I am waiting for the insurance surveyor from ICICI Lombard to get back to me with the option of going in for the repairs or go in for total loss since the IDV of my car is less than the estimated repair costs. (IDV is around 5.5 Lakhs as it’s a 2007 model)

Now all of a sudden, I am faced with the reality that my beloved Cedia may have to be given up, as the repair costs are huge. It may not make sense to go in for repairs and I have read from the numerous posts that the car will not be the same anymore.

All said and done, I am rather proud of my car since it saved my life and took all the impact. I believe it has done its job well.

Here are some pics of the cars involved. First is my Cedia, the Tata sumo and lastly the swift that came in the wrong direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-image002.jpg  

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-image004.jpg  

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-image007.jpg  

Maibaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2010, 19:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maibaa: Good that all of your family are safe.

Swift was Vxi i guess. Had it been Zxi, would airbags have saved anybody from injuries in the swift?!
Old 18th April 2010, 20:18   #3
BHPian

Thank God that your family is safe. Hope they recover soon. One such similiar accident took place while I was travelling from Vellore To Chennai. It was raining heavily and I was travelling at about 90km/hr. There was a KA registered Safari that overtook me at around 130km/hr. He was not able to negotiate a turn properly, skid,hit the median and took off 5 feet above the ground and crash landed into a santro which was travelling at less than 40km/hr. I was the first one to see the accident. It happened ten 10 metres ahead of me.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:20   #4
BHPian

with speeds increasing on highways, airbags and abs should become mandatory, its a question of ones life and there should not be an option to it. I am glad to hear that your car protected your family as it was supposed to do. If you dont mind, can you tell about the experience of deployment of airbags? like did it hit you? after how much time did they deflate? please answer only if you feel comfortable.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:32   #5
BANNED

Oh thats really bad! Glad to see that your family is safe.

Now for the cars:

Cedia : I think you should get it repaired & then sell it off as that will fetch you more money than just selling it for scrap. It did take the impact really well. What is the estimate for it? I think you can get it repaired for anywhere between 1-1.5 lacs.

Sumo : Cant see the damage properly

Swift : This car is 'done'. It has structural damage beyond repairs & has a useless chasis now. This will be seeing the junkyard really soon.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that you and your family have survived the horrific accident. Well this incident further reiterates the importance of safety features in cars. I am glad u were wearing a seatbelt also.

About airbags deflating after deployment I read somewhere that it in case the passengers goes unconscious airbags deflate so that the unconscious person does not suffocate

Anyways hope ur Mom and sister recover fast.

Regards
Old 18th April 2010, 20:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maiba - thank yourself that you and your family are safe. Its your decision to go for a car equipped with airbags that saved a couple of lives that day.

Hope this thread makes people realize the utility of wearing seatbelt and buying a car with ABS+Airbags. It just saved your life that day!

Were you the last car involved? If yes, be prepared to face insurance charge claims from all the parties (or atleast from the sumo), as the last vehicle involved in a pileup is deemed to pay the entire insurance amount for the other vehicles involved. The reason being you failed to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.

As for the airbags - they MUST inflate in time and then gradually deflate. Thats the design.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

God! thats a nasty one, Thanks god you guys are safe!

btw if the "swift" driver was drunk and which led to this incident and if he has survived he should be hanged!
Old 18th April 2010, 21:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

IMO, this accident is not a case of pileup. What can you do if a car coming in the opposite lane jumps off the median and comes charging against you?

The question of maintaining safe distance doesn't fit here.

@Maibaa : Good that your mom is safe and recovering. The Cedia has taken the hit well . And yes, it wont be the same even if you repair it. Get yourself a spanking new Cedia
Old 18th April 2010, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

What I understood from reading the description - is that the swift crossed over and hit the sumo , which made it turn right angles. As per maiba, he had 'no time to react', that proves he was following the sumo at a distance which was shorter than his reaction time + braking distance.
Defensive driving is all about having the time to react and making the right decision.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Maibaa: Good that all of your family are safe.

Swift was Vxi i guess. Had it been Zxi, would airbags have saved anybody from injuries in the swift?!
the swift was indeed vxi or lxi. zxi would have had alloys.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

First Maibaa - Glad to know all are safe. If your mother wore a belt, she would have been okay.

@ Blackasta - In this case, maibaa never created the accident, the swift did. In normal circumstance one could see the sumo progressively stop in a straight line. In this case, the sumo hit the swift and stopped suddenly.

Does not say much for the Sumo's safety, thank god the child was okay else you would have been feeling guilty even if it was not your fault
Old 18th April 2010, 21:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ ajmat - its not about creating the accident - its about the law!
Old 18th April 2010, 21:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
What I understood from reading the description - is that the swift crossed over and hit the sumo , which made it turn right angles. As per maiba, he had 'no time to react', that proves he was following the sumo at a distance which was shorter than his reaction time + braking distance.
Defensive driving is all about having the time to react and making the right decision.
3-4 seconds driving distance works for vehicle in front applying brakes suddenly giving you enough time to brake and not hit that vehicle. but when the vehicle in front of you is involved in a collision leading to sudden speed loss in milliseconds, you need to have atleast 100-150 meters to safely escape hitting the vehicle
Old 18th April 2010, 21:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
the swift was indeed vxi or lxi. zxi would have had alloys.
Nope. Its either a VXi or VDi. LXi/LDi 's dont sport black wheels.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks