Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dr Know. As Mr. Lodge said, "the most important nut in a vehicle is the one behind the steering wheel."
Old 29th July 2010, 00:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed these points

Many driving school instrutors are really very bad drivers.

Use of Dipper is unknown to many; even educated drivers.

Nobody follows Stop Look and Proceed norm at unsignalled intersections.

Many take the shortcut of turning right at intersections through the extreme right and proceed for considerable distance before keeping to the left. Cyclists were doing this earlier, then bikers for quite some time and now quite common with cars for the present at least in God's own country.

Tailing a vehicle during night with headlights in high beam.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Using dipper : people seldom use dippers nowadays. With four lane roads with dividers in between, the habit of using low-beam had died. But this poses a lot of problems for smaller vehicle if the divider is narrow. It is better to grow some bushes on the divider so that the glare is reduced considerable.

Educated doesn't mean they know all. I have seen many 'educated illiterates', wearing their big buck aided bloated ego on their sleeve do whatever they like on the road. I was once made to ride bike on the shoulder of the road for almost 8 kilometres as cars kept coming on both lanes in opposite direction ( that was a 2-lane NH-9). I wasnt amused nor was an RTC driver into whose bus a Fiesta rammed a bit ahead.

Some of the most callous attitudes I have seen on road are of educated people.

Most important safety feature on highway is the police check post with breathalyser. The toll ways can be used for checking purpose. These must be set up every 25 km - 30 km. It might inconvenience a lot of people but would instil caution in drunken drivers.

It sometimes looks like bad roads save a lot of lives. Every body drives slowly and carefully.

Last edited by simplyself : 1st August 2010 at 15:22.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ with simplyself.
Bad roads cause more accidents. When driving on a bad road, it's true that I'm going slow, but also true is that I don't look at anything but the road. Opposite vehicles can go to hell, but I'm not damaging my underbody. And I will make up for lost time once the road gets better. Am not sure how many others think like me, but am sure not many car owners are going to 'Keep Left' while driving on bad roads.
And while you're at Most important safety feature on highway is the police check post with breathalyser, why don't you just make it illegal for anyone with a driving license to buy liquor?
Practically speaking, an accident is more likely to happen due to a drunken man wandering on the 4-lane highway than a drunken driver. Indians do not get into a stupor when they drink. they get hyperexited and puke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks