Re: Another Car bursts into flames with a tragic result

If TATA Nano catches fire title of threat will be "Another NANO catches fire"

If a Maruti catches fire threat title is " another car catches fire"

very good...
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

How can central locking cause a car to burst into flames???
Doors can be unlocked manually.
I suspect CNG\LPG cylinder.
However something seems to be fishy.
If other two escaped,why couldnt he?
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:25   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I suspect CNG\LPG cylinder.
However something seems to be fishy.
If other two escaped,why couldnt he?
Well, if a faulty power window switch can cause fire, central locking surely can!

There's no confirmation on the no. of people, the guy just thought he saw 3 people.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

Central locking failure lead to him not being to escape I think, might not be the cause of the fire. If Alto can catch fire due to electrical accessories, think about other cars loaded with features and interactions amongst them.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:40   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, if a faulty power window switch can cause fire, central locking surely can!

There's no confirmation on the no. of people, the guy just thought he saw 3 people.
First of all,my condolences to the bereaved family.

Central locking didnt cause the accident.The real cause is yet to be found out.But the person died because of the car's central locking not working as a result of the blast,fire.The wiring of the central lock would have melted and then he wouldnt be able to open the locks.

also the initial shock from a blast is just too much and he would have been too confused about what to do due to the smoke inhalation,lack of visiblity,pain etc.dont want to get too much into the details.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:41   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
His charred body was found in a tilted position in the passenger seat of the burnt car, indicating that he struggled to make his way out of the burning vehicle in his final moments. Shattered pieces of glass of the rear windshield that cracked lay strewn around behind the burnt car.

Eyewitnesses said Arora’s white Alto car moved a few metres before exploding and burning completely. “When I saw the car from a distance, it had already caught fire and moved forward for about 60 metres before exploding. I thought I saw three people in the car but when I came closer, only one body was inside,” said Radhe, an eyewitness.
1. He was found on passenger's seat. Why didn't he try to get out from his side of the door?
2. Rear windshield shattered. From that it appears that it could be due to blast in LPG cylinder at rear. If not so, he would have tried to get out from rear.
3. But I still don't thing it is so difficult to get out of a burning car. The suggestion of two other individuals being inside and he being found on passenger seat sugegsts that he might have already been sedated/killed and some one else was driving the car and he managed to escape after putting the car on fire on purpose.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

So clearly one must keep an iron rod inside the car to prevent any untoward incident! That is the only escape I can think!
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:55   #143
Team-BHP Support

Instead of iron rod keep a Life Hammer in the car. Will break any vehicle window and can cut the seat belt straps.

http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...6755413&sr=8-1
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:55   #144
BHPian

My condolences to the family, it is really unfortunate.

Further, i would like to add that coming to conclusions about the cause of the fire when investigations are incomplete is not done, as per the report "Foul Play" to has not been ruled out, we will just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
If TATA Nano catches fire title of threat will be "Another NANO catches fire"

If a Maruti catches fire threat title is " another car catches fire"

very good...
Having said that, i agree with rkg, in that if this were a Nano, the media would have got hold of this and made a BIG ruckus. It is due to this kind of partial and negative publicity that even educated and well read people come to the wrong conclusions. For instance, my wife says she will never buy a Nano, or let me buy one coz it may go up in flames at the drop of a hat.

What is even more deplorable is that in these trying times for Maruti, there is not even a word from the Maruti Mgmt about this incident. I guess they just want to hide behind the ignorance of the general public.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Sincere condolences to the family. The frequency at which these fires seem to be happening, I think we need a fire drill of what to do when a car catches fire. I keep my car stock, no alternate fuel modifications, no nothing. The more you tamper with the electicals and the fuel system, the greater chances of the vehicle catching fire. Especially, when you bargain hard for an LPG/CNG kit the more the fitter cuts corners, I think.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:01   #146
BANNED

Really unfortunate incident. If its CNG, the car cannot burst into flames simply because CNG isnt highly inflammable. Chances are that the car was running on LPG but doubt in this day and age someone would go for it.

A few weeks back a brand new SX4 ZXi in my office underground parking hit a pillar head on. According to the driver, the air bags deployed when he went over a speed breaker causing him to loose control of the car.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:03   #147
BHPian

Well , as per TOI delhi edition, there was no CNG / LPG cylinder in car. The read glass shattered due to heat nothing else. have seen the Pics of the car and it;s charred like somebody has doused it with petrol and set on fire. only one person was in car at the time of incident against speculation that there were 3 persons . As per initial investigation , there was a leakage in fuel lines leading to engine bay .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 23rd September 2011 at 11:04.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:03   #148
BHPian

Really sad.

Any updates on whether this was a new Alto or an reasonably old one.
The post above mine rules out LPG/CNG.

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:06   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

frightening business - fire.
its a good servant but a dangerous master like electricity.

this life hammer seems the only solution
but the blessed thing needs to be easily at hand if such things happen or if your vehicle gets bogged down in water or whatever and you need to exit quickly.
I think it is a good thing to add to one's car kit and shall do so forthwith.
where to get one?
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:10   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sincere condolences to the family. The frequency at which these fires seem to be happening, I think we need a fire drill of what to do when a car catches fire. I keep my car stock, no alternate fuel modifications, no nothing. The more you tamper with the electicals and the fuel system, the greater chances of the vehicle catching fire. Especially, when you bargain hard for an LPG/CNG kit the more the fitter cuts corners, I think.
Exactly my line of thought. My car too is absolutely stock and I even fitted the music system at MGA. I actually have a morbid fear of central locking and have not installed it in my car.

Most Viewed