Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 15:23   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just one question here, are such incidents happen abroad? I mean to say in US, Europe, Japan etc. Cars catching fire is very risky. It can happen to any car i guess. What precautions you need to take so that such things don't happen? Are these incidents happen only in India? Why people keep mum about the same? Companies will have to give millions of dollars if this happen in US, Europe. Then why not in India? Is Indian law has flaws?
They happen everywhere to every company's cars. This is the first time that something is being discussed so much in India. The problem is that you dont want to be part of the statistic however minimal it is.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:55   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

I think car makers should be made to read debt of honor.
just for knowledge's sake, i mean.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 22:41   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just one question here, are such incidents happen abroad? I mean to say in US, Europe, Japan etc. Cars catching fire is very risky. It can happen to any car i guess. What precautions you need to take so that such things don't happen? Are these incidents happen only in India? Why people keep mum about the same? Companies will have to give millions of dollars if this happen in US, Europe. Then why not in India? Is Indian law has flaws?
While we are it, this is the latest on Toyota Fire incidents...Feds open fire probe into 830K Toyota Camry, RAV4 vehicles | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday it was opening a preliminary investigation into the 2007 Camry and RAV4 after receiving six consumer complaints alleging a fire in the driver's side door.
"Based on the available information, it appears the fires are originating from the power window master switch located on the driver's door," NHTSA said.
Looks like there is no end to Toyotas misery in US .
Old 13th February 2012, 22:55   #199
BHPian

I saw this Swift Diesel maybe on a new flyover today afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-dsc00322.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-dsc00323.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-dsc00324.jpg  

Last edited by jasmeetsingh : 13th February 2012 at 22:59.
jasmeetsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 09:08   #200
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A Skoda caught fire and was completely burnt on 7th Mar night in Mumbai on the Eastern Express Highway, very close to the Mulund East toll-naka. Could not figure out whether it was Octavia or Laura. Does any variant of Octi come with sun-roof?

Sorry no photos. (The photos would have looked very similar to the Swift ones on this page anyways).
Old 17th March 2012, 12:20   #201
Senior - BHPian

Sharing pictures of my friend's cousin's Hyundai i10 which got partly burnt when the car was being taken out from parking lot at their home in Hyderabad.
It seems front part of the car suddenly got ignited when Driver turned on the key to start it.

Fortunately nobody was there in the car & no damage to any one. Driver managed to get out in time.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-317.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-321.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-330.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-323.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-318.jpg
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 13:03   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Sharing pictures of my friend's cousin's Hyundai i10 which got partly burnt when the car was being taken out from parking lot at their home in Hyderabad.
It seems front part of the car suddenly got ignited when Driver turned on the key to start it.

Fortunately nobody was there in the car & no damage to any one. Driver managed to get out in time.
From the pictures it seems that the cause was the battery - either a defect or a short ! Proper maintenance of battery is so important , no less important than coolant levels
Old 1st April 2012, 22:31   #203
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

I think some forumers will opine this deserves a thread. But as of now I'm giving it the benefit of doubt, with no details available! Location: Rani Bagh, ND. Delhiites may throw more light.
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 22:37   #204
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

^ What is it with burning Ventos and Rapids of late? Something to ponder!
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

Bizman’s narrow escape as car catches fire

Incident took place near Shyamal crossroads when Nitin Vasa stopped his car at the traffic signal; firemen warn of more such fires in summer

Abusinessman had a narrow escape after the car, he was driving, caught fire at Shyamal crossing on Monday. The incident happened around 11am, when Nitin Vasa, a resident of Judges Bungalows, stopped at the crossing.

“The moment I reached the crossing, the traffic light turned red. I brought my car to a halt and switched off the engine. When the signal turned green, I switched on the engine and noticed some sparks coming out of bonnet. Sensing trouble, I immediately got out of the car, which was soon engulfed in flames. I immediately came out and called up the fire department,” said Vasa.

And even as the passers-by stopped to watch the burning Wagon R (GJ-HF-6479) and click photographs on their mobile phones, no one was seen making any effort to look for fire extinguishers or sand from nearby shopping complex or cinema hall. The fire officials who reached the spot after a while doused the fire.

Speaking to Mirror, Fire Officer (Bodakdev fire station) M P Mistri said this was the fifth such incident in last one week, in which a car has caught fire and with the rising temperatures, the number may rise further.
BEWARE OF FIRES IN SUMMER!

“There is a significant rise in the incidents of car catching fire in summer. People should take precautions and keep small fire extinguishers in their car. They should get the car checked regularly to ensure there are no loose wires that can cause short circuit,” he said.

LOOK FOR FIRE EXTINGUISHERS

Other fire officials also suggested that in case a car catches fire at a busy public place, as happened in this incident, people should look for fire extinguishers at the nearby complexes.

“It takes a while for the fire brigade to reach a spot after receiving a call. In the meantime people, instead of standing as mute spectators, should try to look for fire extinguishers and bring the fire under control. It was unfortunate to see people clicking photographs of the burning car. Some were videographing the event. They were least concerned about dousing the flames. Had they acted on time, the damage could have been minimised,” said a fire official.

Source : Article Window

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wagon-r.jpg
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:37   #206
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bizman’s narrow escape as car catches fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
“There is a significant rise in the incidents of car catching fire in summer. People should take precautions and keep small fire extinguishers in their car. They should get the car checked regularly to ensure there are no loose wires that can cause short circuit,” he said.
Flawed logic! What has summer got to do with the fire?

1) it is hardly summer yet
2) the summer in India itself is not that extreme to cause cars going up in flames
3) going by this logic, there shouldn't be any cars left in Delhi by June!

There's more to this than just the weather being hot.
Old 10th April 2012, 17:16   #207
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Wouldn't really link car fires to the summer, infact the chance of an electrical fire should be higher in the monsoon when water could leak on to electronics and short them up.

The Rapid does not have a rear number plate (not even a Temp one) has it been photoshopped off - does not loop like it - or did it catch fire even before being sold?

All we can say about the fires is that all brands seem quite equally effected but as a % of cars sold though this cannot be ignored though it is quite quite low. With the internet driven immediate awareness coupled with mobile phone cameras to document the instances and the increased number of cars on the road today we are seeing more and more of such incidents come to light though the frequency may not really be higher now compared to say 5 or 10 years back.
Old 10th April 2012, 17:27   #208
BHPian

Is the increase of electronics in new cars a reason behind more incidences noticed nowadays??
Old 10th April 2012, 21:03   #209
BHPian

Witnessed today while going back from office.
A Indigo on fire on NH 8 towards Delhi, just opposite to Airtel building.

Old 13th April 2012, 14:16   #210
Senior - BHPian

After Vento, Rapid and all, now Tata Manza catches fire

After the recent reports of Vento and Rapid catching fires, its now the turn of the Tata Manza to catch fire. the incident happened in Puducherry and unfortunately the occupant a diabetes patient got charred to death. Pls find the link below for details.
Disabled by diabetes: Cop in burning car charred to death | Deccan Chronicle

The fault is attributed to a malfunction in air con system and the entire car was engulfed in fire within seconds. Poor cop, could not escape.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed