Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:16   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

For the first VW Vento that caught fire, we had a TBHPian claiming they will go to the root of the problem. We haven't heard anything from him or anyone.

For most cars that caught fire abroad, there was no external accessory that was held responsible.

Also, most modifications do not involve drawing high current for it to cause fire in the engine compartment. Most people add a HU and speakers which are within the required specs. I think we are just speculating without much information.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:30   #272
Senior - BHPian

I have one assumption to make. See when Nano caught fire Tata did investigation and came up with proper reply.

So, till VW comes with reply I am assuming that the cause of fire is NOT aftermarket fittings.

The reason for such assumption is that if aftermarket installation is the reason, didn't VW (or any manufacturer) would have come out quickly and mentioned it by way of some press release after they established the same.
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:27   #273
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Polo Catches fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hi Ghodlur,

Although the pictures are not very clear, I shall post the pictures by EOD once I blur out the number of the cars in question.
amtak, any luck with the pictures?
Did any newspaper picked up the story?
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:56   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
amtak, any luck with the pictures?
Did any newspaper picked up the story?
I shall upload the pictures in the next hour or so. I don't think any news paper will pick up this story as it happened inside a complex.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:27   #275
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
people are saying that an esteem parked next to the Polo caught fire first
That appears to be correct. This is what VW India has to state:

Quote:
The incident happened because of CNG fitted in a Maruti Esteem which exploded and a Volkswagen Polo was parked adjacent to the Esteem.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:36   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That appears to be correct. This is what VW India has to state:
Thanks GTO. May we know where this statement was published? I couldn't find anything on google India. And neither has <amtak> uploaded the photos yet. Please do so.

In response to some earlier bashing comments, and especially one stating that a car should be sturdy enough to accept any sort of after-market fitment to win the trust of the customer: Does this incident mean that we now throw a brand - Maruti, that has given sleepless nights to many a manufacturer in this country - off the window too for poor quality that could not withstand an after-market fitment? NO. IMHO. **It happens. **It just happens.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:41   #277
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team,

sorry for my inability to post the pictures yesterday night (Dozed off on the bed!). I shall upload the pictures tonight. Going by what VW has stated; I am begining to wonder what paint do they use? Esteem has less visible damage than the POLO.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012080200825.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012080200826.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012080200828.jpg  

Last edited by amtak : 3rd August 2012 at 15:51.
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:54   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

sorry for my inability to post the pictures yesterday night (Dozed off on the bed!). I shall upload the pictures tonight. Going by what VW has stated; I am begining to wonder what paint do they use? Esteem has less visible damage than the POLO.
Take it easy friend . There could be various reasons which one can think of as to why the Polo took the maximum damage. Maybe the explosion sent debris at high speed right on the Polo body which caused more damage to it than the Esteem. Doesn't make the paint quality automatically the culprit here. Unless one had witnessed everything at close quarters its not advisable to sit on judgement and use the "jump to conclusions" mat pronto. Sure VW should have publicly released more information about the previous fire incidents but for now lets stop dumping on VW as it is proven that the Esteem was the culprit.

EDIT: Now I am adding all CNG kitted Esteems to the list of cars next to which my Vento will never ever be parked

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 3rd August 2012 at 15:58.
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:15   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,
From the pictures that you have uploaded it is not clear whether the CNG fitted esteem was the cause. Probably VW India are looking for excuses rather than dwelling to the root of the problem. IMO the fire seems to have erupted from Polo's battery as the left side seems to be on fire in the first image.
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:25   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
From the pictures that you have uploaded it is not clear whether the CNG fitted esteem was the cause. Probably VW India are looking for excuses rather than dwelling to the root of the problem. IMO the fire seems to have erupted from Polo's battery as the left side seems to be on fire in the first image.

Cardeep,

The Esteem has minimal frontal damage as compared to POLO. Also, as someone mentioned, there was NO explosion whatsoever; If there was, one, I wouldn't be typing this as the cars were parked right next to my office
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:28   #281
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks GTO. May we know where this statement was published? I couldn't find anything on google India. And neither has <amtak> uploaded the photos yet. Please do so.
Published on Team-BHP

Statement received from VW via email.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:28   #282
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the front tyre caught fire in the Polo which caused the damage later.
Regarding paint, they are water based !
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:33   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe the front tyre caught fire in the Polo which caused the damage later.
Regarding paint, they are water based !
Culprit and the Victim; who's which? You decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Take it easy friend . Unless one had witnessed everything at close quarters its not advisable to sit on judgement and use the "jump to conclusions" mat pronto. Sure VW should have publicly released more information about the previous fire incidents but for now lets stop dumping on VW as it is proven that the Esteem was the culprit.

EDIT: Now I am adding all CNG kitted Esteems to the list of cars next to which my Vento will never ever be parked
How about less than 25 meters from the site? I had my breakfast and tea while witnessing the whole scenario; luckily the fire hose was just next to the car park and hence, it was doused immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012080200830.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012080200831.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2012 at 16:48. Reason: Back to back posts. Repeat will attract infraction
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:
How about less than 25 meters from the site? I had my breakfast and tea while witnessing the whole scenario; luckily the fire hose was just next to the car park and hence, it was doused immediately.
Sure but you were not an affected party to the investigations right? It might be a good idea if you could please verify the same with the actual owners before apportioning blame in light of the email from VW, isn't it. You yourself have stated that the cause was not clear to you. I am not an apologist for VW here but it would be unfair to blame them without clear evidence.
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:52   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Sure but you were not an affected party to the investigations right? It might be a good idea if you could please verify the same with the actual owners before apportioning blame in light of the email from VW, isn't it. You yourself have stated that the cause was not clear to you. I am not an apologist for VW here but it would be unfair to blame them without clear evidence.

Dear Samarjit,

Please note that I am not blaming VW. I am requesting them to clarify their stand, which they have done now as per their email to GTO. I am neither the affected party nor the benefeciary here; However, I am a potential VW customer in the near future, but I would not like to see myself or my near and dear one getting charred to death for no fault of their own (like the Vento owner in pune).

I posted what I saw; and when I heard about the Esteem, I did post about it as well as a potential cause to the fire.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed