Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:35   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

My neighbour's car (Chevy Spark) caught fire yesterday when the family was travelling to a nearby place. Luckily they could smell burning rubber in time & got out before the fire could become dangerous & the car could auto lock.

Just before they came out, they saw the RPM fluctuating wildly, & as soon as they tried opening the bonnet there was a huge flame which could have engulfed him...

Lucky escape for him & his family. I am very happy for his despite the loss, as all in his family are safe & in good health (except the shock).
Old 17th December 2012, 13:48   #332
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Chevrolet Cruze catches fire in Mumbai while the owner was commuting in it Luckily, no one was injured.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012121303540-custom.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-20121213_211818-custom.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-20121213_211835-custom.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012121400510-custom.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img2012121400525-custom-2.jpg
Old 17th December 2012, 14:15   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chevrolet Cruze catches fire in Mumbai while the owner was commuting in it Luckily, no one was injured.
OMG, thats horrific. Must have been a major blaze and had gone unattended. Literally gutted the Cruze. Where in Mumbai did this happen? I am sure the occupants got out in time.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:14   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
OMG, thats horrific. Must have been a major blaze and had gone unattended. Literally gutted the Cruze. Where in Mumbai did this happen? I am sure the occupants got out in time.
It happened on the Eastern Express Highway. The patch between Kanjurmarg - Nahur.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:58   #335
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there was a heavy collision that caused the fire. The damaged front impact beam and the hood indicate that!

Quote:
Old 18th December 2012, 12:06   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This happened on last Thursday around late evening/night. There was a huge huge jam on the eastern express highway from Powai junction to Airoli bridge junction (it took me nearly an hour to pass this stretch).

The fire brigade had reached the place, but probably not in time to save the car. Not sure what was the exact reason as the police were managing the traffic and not allowing anyone to linger around for obvious reasons.
Old 20th December 2012, 18:24   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
My immediate family of uncle/aunt/grampa/etc - all 7 in total were about 300 meters in the apt block in the next plot ... they all heard the commotion and around 2-3AM evacuvated their 2 apts safely! Close call, there are 100s of Apts in that locality!
Sitting in the ^ apt now on a visit to bombay - damn it was a close call!! 12 storeys of apartments within 100 feet, this is the view from 7th floor!!

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-mulund.jpg
Old 22nd December 2012, 13:49   #338
BHPian

On a slightly different note from other posts here.. A government public transport Bus went up in flames in the heart of Chennai city (at Arcot Road, Vadapalani) on Friday afternoon.

No one was injured. The bus, with the registration number TN 01 N 4813 was driven by Thangavel.

According to eye-witnesses -- First there was smoke from the front end of the bus and the driver alerted the passengers. It was a deluxe bus with automatic collapsible doors. As more smoke billowed out, the driver jumped from his cabin and prised open the passenger-side doors to let the passengers out.

It was the driver’s presence of mind that prevented the loss of lives. He jumped out of the cabin and ran to the other side to prise open the doors. Soon after the passengers had got down, the bus burned down.

After all the passengers disembarked, the bus began moving. Some passengers and the bus driver and conductor placed rocks to prevent it from moving. It was completely gutted even before the fire engine arrived to put out the flames.

K.Natarajan, general secretary of MTC Employees Progressive Union, said the vehicle was 5 years old and had clocked in 4.53 lakh kms. A full fitness check was done on the bus on September 28. The cause of the fire is believed to be bunching of wires near the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bus.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:26   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened near Namakkal(Namakkal-Dindugal Highway) last week. Luckily the occupants of the omni escaped without any injuries.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-f1.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-f2.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-f3.jpg
Old 24th December 2012, 11:49   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
My neighbour's car (Chevy Spark) caught fire yesterday when the family was travelling to a nearby place. Luckily they could smell burning rubber in time & got out before the fire could become dangerous & the car could auto lock.

Just before they came out, they saw the RPM fluctuating wildly, & as soon as they tried opening the bonnet there was a huge flame which could have engulfed him...

Lucky escape for him & his family. I am very happy for his despite the loss, as all in his family are safe & in good health (except the shock).
My neighbour got the car back day before, & it seems a job well done by Chevy A.S.S. in Faridabad. They had some problems procuring few parts from the plant, hence, the delay.

They also confirm that the fire was not due to the CNG kit, but, because of the faulty alternator. I believe, there are some problems with GM cars' alternators, as I have seen more burnt Chevys (Sparks, Aveos,...) than Nanos.

If I remember correctly, the Matiz also had over-heating problem (maybe because of other reasons), & the first MPFI car to burned on its own in Delhi (then owned by a Sikh gent, as per the Newspaper reports). It seems that Chevy have got the problem FOC with Daewoo passenger car products.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:12   #341
BHPian

A Dzire catches fire this time.
Three charred as car catches fire - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17774180.cms

Quote:
Three people, including two children, got charred to death after a Swift Dzire car they were travelling in caught fire, on late Wednesday night in Seemapuri area of northeast Delhi.

Three others, including a child have suffered burn injuries in the incident as well. The car was reportedly fitted with a CNG kit, police said.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:22   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran
Three charred as car catches fire - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17774180.cms
Looks like the CNG kit is the the culprit here. Quoting text from the above link on the probable cause.

Quote:
The incident took place around 10.15pm when the family of six was going to Jama Masjid area to attend a wedding. Anwar, first went to the CNG station near his house and had barely reached 100 meters beyond it when the car began to stall and smoke began to come out of it.

Prima facie, it appears that the CNG kit burst due to excessive pressure, a source said. The cops are recording the statement of the witnesses.
Doesn't the CNG/LPG kits normally have auto-cutoff to prevent over-filling to the brim?
Old 27th December 2012, 11:58   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Looks like the CNG kit is the the culprit here. Quoting text from the above link on the probable cause.

Doesn't the CNG/LPG kits normally have auto-cutoff to prevent over-filling to the brim?
I think the cops are incorrect in their analysis, for the image of the burnt car in the newspaper (see below) portrays a different picture.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-getimage.jpg

Link to TOI article:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Had the CNG kit burst, the boot & the rear portion would have been ripped apart (not apparent in this case, & in fact it appears that teh rear has got lesser damage due to fire). Though I admit that faulty wiring of the CNG kit (or any other electrical accessory, like most other cases except the Nanos in 2011) could be a problem.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:13   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Had the CNG kit burst, the boot & the rear portion would have been ripped apart (not apparent in this case, & in fact it appears that teh rear has got lesser damage due to fire). Though I admit that faulty wiring of the CNG kit (or any other electrical accessory, like most other cases except the Nanos in 2011) could be a problem.
I still don't think cops are incorrect in their analysis. I agree it might not be apparent from the picture, but all 3 who died were in the rear seat. So I have to disagree that rear got lesser damage due to fire. Also the fire happened within 100m of the filling station where the car just filled CNG which is probably why the cops concluded the possibility of excess pressure in the tank.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:26   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I still don't think cops are incorrect in their analysis. I agree it might not be apparent from the picture, but all 3 who died were in the rear seat. So I have to disagree that rear got lesser damage due to fire. Also the fire happened within 100m of the filling station where the car just filled CNG which is probably why the cops concluded the possibility of excess pressure in the tank.
The people in rear got burnt because the central locking mechanism failed (to open) when the car was on fire & the occupants could not come out in time. Please refer to my previous posts (on the same page) regarding my neighbour's spark that got burnt (& the Chevy A.S.S. diagnosed car's alternator as problem) & not the CNG kit.

However, we may keep arguing over the sad incident, based on guesstimates, which would not be fair IMO.

I wish to convey my condolences to the family, & may the deceased RIP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks