Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 18:34   #391
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

@ Palio 2005: Did the Superb have any after-market modifications, or electrical work done recently?
Old 31st December 2013, 11:07   #392
BHPian

Read in Mumbai Mid day an Actor's Audi caught fire

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment...-in-flames.htm
Old 31st December 2013, 12:55   #393
BHPian

Sonu Sood’s Audi Q7 catches fire on WE highway

Just read a report on TOI Website stating that actor Sonu Sood's Q7 caught fire. They still don't know the reason for this. Looks like fire god does not discriminate between high end or low end cars at all. I doubt it to be QC issue. May be a shoddy maintenance job or adulterated fuel ?

Admins, if some one has already posted, please remove this thread.
shubhamAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 14:42   #394
BHPian

Re: Sonu Sood’s Audi Q7 catches fire on WE highway

Why can it not be a QC issue? Why are we so eager to exonerate foreign car companies and blame fuel or shoddy maintenance? Didn't an Audi R8 go up in flames on the Worli Sea Link recently?

Would be great if someone found the % of Marutis going up in Flames which are a year old or less and the % of high end cars (like this Q7) which are less than a year old.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:09   #395
BHPian

No one is exonerating any company Indian (almost all of which collaborate with foreign companies anyways) or International. There is nothing like a 100% designed and developed indian car as such (Nano apart). The point is that high end cars get more attention by media than say an Alto (which incidentally did catch fire, check the Audi R8 news article on web). Many such fire incidents are unreported and can be attributed to poorly fitted LPG/CNG kits and not to a design fault. Likewise, when it comes to a high-end car the first suspect ought to be the local dealer/mechanic. Since such incidents are sporadic (globally) it is not right to blame the mfg at the first analysis.

On the other hand , something like Toyota issue, where lot of people reported the issue, the bug was clearly in design (the OEM to be specific)

Peace.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:31   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Read in Mumbai Mid day an Actor's Audi caught fire

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment...-in-flames.htm
The same news is mentioned in NDTV also. However interestingly both Mid-Day and NDTV reports are using the same text work by word.
Infact there is a news of a Omni Taxi also going up in flames at same location in both the news reports.
While in Mid-Day they have mentioned the same with it along with the image of taxi
Quote:
Just an hour after the incident, a taxi (above) caught fire at the same spot.
the image is missing in NDTV report but the quote mentioning image of taxi (above) remains. Guess they just copy pasted the entire news.

NDTV link

Last edited by mpksuhas : 31st December 2013 at 15:37.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:33   #397
Team-BHP Support

There have been 2 R8 fires that I know of.

One was due to an accident and the other in Mumbai happened since the car was supposed to have been modified or not maintained. One thing for sure is that with restricted engine space, and high ambient conditions, mid enginged cars have a higher likelihood. it also happened to a Gallardo on the MMSC.

What ever I can see from the TOI picture, the flame is at the front of the engine, it looks like a cooling fan or rdiator caught fire.

Anyway, let Audi respond!

Last edited by Mpower : 31st December 2013 at 21:13. Reason: typo
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 15:54   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
I doubt it to be QC issue. May be a shoddy maintenance job or adulterated fuel ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
The point is that high end cars get more attention by media than say an Alto (which incidentally did catch fire, check the Audi R8 news article on web).
I think the designs are supposed to be taking care of all local conditions like adulterated fuel and bad roads. Car burning up due to adulterated fuel is something very serious. It indeed is a QC issue. I agree that a shoddy maintenance, if any, could be an excusable reason.
IMHO, such incidents with high end cars must get more attention by media. One should know that the life can be in danger even if the amount spent on buying a car is more than 10 times of Alto's cost.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:59   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The same news is mentioned in NDTV also. However interestingly both Mid-Day and NDTV reports are using the same text work by word.
Infact there is a news of a Omni Taxi also going up in flames at same location in both the news reports.
While in Mid-Day they have mentioned the same with it along with the image of taxi the image is missing in NDTV report but the quote mentioning image of taxi (above) remains. Guess they just copy pasted the entire news.

NDTV link
It was White Audi Q7 of actor 'Sonu Sood', Dabangg/R..Rajkumar fame.
Fire broke up under the bonnet of the car, engulfing the entire engine compartment, I guess passengers are safe.
Old 31st December 2013, 23:44   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
One should know that the life can be in danger even if the amount spent on buying a car is more than 10 times of Alto's cost.
Totally agree. These reports of Nanos, Altos, Teslas and Audis catching fire prove one thing that no matter how much money you shell out, be prepared for a fire.

That brings us to another point: How many of us actually carry a Fire Extinguisher in our cars ? I used to have one in my i10 (within hands reach). This incident has reminded me to get one for the current car too.
Old 1st January 2014, 00:08   #401
BHPian

What i found bizzare was that a taxi also caught fire exactly at the same spot an hour later from this incident. Read the whole thing in today's online edition.
Old 1st January 2014, 00:48   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
What i found bizzare was that a taxi also caught fire exactly at the same spot an hour later from this incident. Read the whole thing in today's online edition.
Interesting! Just been reminded of the famous Benz research of the autobahn accidents at a particular spot. Apparently there were some electrical equipment installed on the section of the autobahn that interfered with the ABS/braking system of the cars, leading to accidents resulting from brake system malfunctioning.

May be there is "something in there" that needs examination, if more accidents take place.
Old 11th January 2014, 16:29   #403
Senior - BHPian

Another tragic fire casualty in Delhi

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...?cfmid=2000000

Last edited by joslicx : 11th January 2014 at 16:37.
Old 18th January 2014, 18:06   #404
BHPian

Lifehammer installation in my car

One can never be too careful when it comes to having requisite safety tools, especially in petrol cars which are at a greater risk of catching fire.

Installed Life Hammer in my Maruti Swift. After a bit of thinking, I eventually settled in for (what I considered to be) the best spot for mounting the bracket.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20140118_007.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20140118_009.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20140118_005.jpg
gsbhatia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 00:03   #405
BHPian

A saicare bus caught fire near the Airoli (navi mumbai) overpass today (3rd Feb) evening. Saw the almost half gutted bus on my way back from office. Couldn't take any pictures as the traffic was moving slowly and vehicles were piling up behind. Hopefully no one got injured.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks