Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 12:26   #436
BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Even though car fires happen everywhere, I believe that the main cause In India is poor training and lack of knowledge of after market "technicians", mechanics and even dealer staff. Safety regulations are generally not even known let alone followed. Most of the people working on cars are not properly educated and lack any formal training. How many times do we see proper wiring done with care to fuses, proper connector rather than just tape, knowledge of which harness connector to use and so on? Same applies to repair and modifications.
Old 16th September 2014, 11:48   #437
BHPian

My Neighbor's Xylo caught fire in parked position few days back. Luckily the security person was quick to react and doused the fire with a fire extinguisher in time or the whole car would have reduced to ashes.

The car had a battery replacement done 6months back and had no issues till that day. The car was towed to Mahindra service center and claim was filed with the insurance company. Cause of fire is not yet known.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20140913_080815083.jpg
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 21:23   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
My Neighbor's Xylo caught fire in parked position few days back. Luckily the security person was quick to react and doused the fire with a fire extinguisher in time or the whole car would have reduced to ashes.

The car had a battery replacement done 6months back and had no issues till that day. The car was towed to Mahindra service center and claim was filed with the insurance company. Cause of fire is not yet known.
Parked car caught fire?. Any conclusion/speculation from the initial investigation? I don't think battery would be the cause of fire.
Old 16th September 2014, 22:23   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Parked car caught fire?. Any conclusion/speculation from the initial investigation? I don't think battery would be the cause of fire.
Going by the damaged area and the fact that it was a parked vehicle, it looks to me like a battery short circuit as the most probable cause.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 21:18   #440
gemi_kk

Well, Finally i witnessed a car on fire today. The owner was safe as he just came out of the car on time.

I just asked two questions. Is there a CNG/LPG Kit in car? Owner said No.
Then i asked how much of fuel is in car? He said around 10 liters.

The probability of a major accident seemed almost Zero to me. i asked the owner to open the bonnet. we both hopped on to the car. opened the bonnet and started pouring water. He went mad when he saw what was inside. I just held my breath. Everything burnt to ashes. Battery exploded. Yes!. How?

Sorry. Couldn't get more pictures as i didn't want to behave like a media man. Rather i preferred to help him in getting the situation in control. This pic is at the beginning of fire. After a while, there was smoke everywhere.

In one line: Car will have to be written off. Thank god, he had it insured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-imag0210.jpg  

Last edited by gemi_kk : 27th September 2014 at 21:24. Reason: Adding value.
  (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 19:13   #441
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

10 kms from Murthal. Driver and passenger safe. Wonder why the car is on the wrong side of the highway !
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-photo-11.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-photo-21.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2014, 14:45   #442
BHPian

In yet another incident, a Tata Indigo caught fire at Mangalore Airport a couple of days back!! No causalities as the driver got off as soon as he saw smoke.

Related and source news article here: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=273655.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-parking_1030144.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-parking_1030145.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-parking_1030149.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-parking_10301410.jpg  

Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 17:36   #443
BHPian

Mercedes cathches fire in Mumbai, nobody is hurt.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45271299.cms
Old 25th November 2014, 18:58   #444
Senior - BHPian

The TOI today reported that a Ford Fiesta caught fire near Shamshabad airport, with a picture of the burnt car. Somehow I am not able to find the online link to that.

What I did find is the below:

http://www.indtoday.com/two-escapes-...-indtoday-com/
Old 27th November 2014, 03:43   #445
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Times of India (Mumbai Edition) reported a Mercedes E Class catching fire at Bandra Reclamation.

Quote:
Read the full story here : http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...26112014006050

A Mercedes driver, Altaf Shaikh, had a narrow escape on Tuesday afternoon when the vehicle caught fire at Bandra Reclamation. After the incident, traffic on the Bandra-Worli sea link was disrupted for some time. The Bandra police have recorded the mishap for an inquiry.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-mercedes-fire.jpg
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:48   #446
BHPian

Another instance of i20 catching fire. Reported in FB. Seems like no one was hurt.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1560674_10152590722468074_8760793042674677623_n.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-10348436_10152590721808074_5709099413907722026_n.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2014, 10:19   #447
BANNED

Passengers had a miraculous escape after a bus plying from Bengaluru to Manipal went up in flames early morning on Monday near Uppinangady .
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=280488
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:43   #448
BHPian

i20 catches fire!

Came across this post on Facebook.

Link :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&fref=nf

"I was travelling with my family from Chandigarh to Delhi on 9th Nov 2014 in our Hyundai i20. We were around Sonepat, when a passer-by waved us indicating that there was smoke coming from the car. Fortunately, the car had just crossed an intersection and the speed was slow. We were really lucky that everyone got out of the vehicle safely, however, we were shocked to see our vehicle in flames just moments after.

After running from pillar to post for 16 days between Hans Hyundai, New Delhi & Hyundai Motor India Limited all we hear from them is that the car caught fire due to some external substance and that they cannot do anything about it. How very convenient is that, isn’t it? For heaven’s sake, you are selling one of the premium hatchbacks available in the Indian market; it cannot just catch fire while in motion due to “External substance”.

The car was purchased from Hans Hyundai, Moti Nagar, New Delhi about 3 years back. The car has run a mere 13,000 kms and was serviced at Hans Hyundai service center only a week before the incident took place. It looks to be a case of negligent servicing on the part of Hans Hyundai.

After this incident when I searched on the internet, I was shocked to find out that this is not an isolated incident of i20 catching fire. I urge everyone to share this with as many people as possible so that if any of your friends is planning to buy a Hyundai Vehicle, they consider these incidents and are able to take an informed decision."
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:27   #449
D C
BHPian

Re: i20 catches fire!

These are instances where insurance comes handy. Glad that no one were injured on the incident.

From the picture on the facebook page, it looks like HMIL were right about the external substance, the car didn't catch fire on the engine compartment.

I am curious to know if there are any possibilities of the car catching fire other than in the engine compartment due to a malfunction. Looking forward for fellow BHPian's thoughts.
Old 5th December 2014, 09:50   #450
Senior - BHPian

A Chevy catches fire in RK Puram, Delhi.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-chevyonfire.jpg

Most Viewed