Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 10:15   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Are we seeing an increase in the number of cars catching fire or is it just that more cases are being reported here?
Old 6th December 2014, 12:13   #452
BHPian

Peddar Road, Mumbai from last night.
Pictures & Video.

Pictures of Last Night and whats left of the car from this morning.
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-car_fire_1.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-car_fire_2.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-car_fire_3.jpg

Old 6th December 2014, 12:37   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Yikes ! I hope no one was hurt. Looks like the car was a Logan
Old 6th December 2014, 13:02   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Yikes ! I hope no one was hurt. Looks like the car was a Logan
Don't think so. But the entire northbound traffic was shut. Massive Traffic.

Fire Services took Altamount Road from Kemps Corner, came out at Jaslok Hospital and they drove down the wrong side (right for them at that moment) of the road from there to reach the fire.
Old 6th December 2014, 14:40   #455
BHPian

Saw this burnt Logan/Verito outside my parents place. They said it caught fire around 9 pm last night. They didn't see anyone in the car and I think it was a Meru cab but not sure. There's a meter in the pic of the interior.

Mods please merge my posts. I wanted to upload the photos and it sent the reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857059200.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857077870.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857096812.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857120475.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857143769.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1417857158178.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th December 2014 at 15:38. Reason: Back to back posts
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:03   #456
BHPian

Saw the burnt Logan as mentioned above on 6th December. The car was burnt pretty badly and according to me it was a Meru cab. Must be a case of fire due to improper audio installation or something wrong happening in the CNG kit.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:18   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
.... Must be a case of fire due to improper audio installation or something wrong happening in the CNG kit.
Whatever the reason, this is about the most comprehensive combustion case I have ever seen!
Almost makes me believe that this vehicle is made of thoroughly and fully combustible materials!

BTW, where is the taxi meter? I could not spot it.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:32   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
BTW, where is the taxi meter? I could not spot it.
Is this it? I've highlighted it from the original full size pic
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1418054495474.jpg  

Old 8th December 2014, 21:49   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Is this it? I've highlighted it from the original full size pic
That looks like a HU but that could even be a taxi meter.
Old 28th December 2014, 07:37   #460
BHPian

New VW Vento catches fire, brakes fail

Quote:
NEW DELHI: A woman employed with an MNC had a close shave when her few months old Volkswagen Vento car, which was serviced last Monday, caught fire near Bhikaji Cama Place on Saturday.

The incident was reported around 10.30am when Neelam Mukherjee, a healthcare executive, was travelling to Gurgaon from Defence Colony. She asked her driver to check the car after a biker pointed at the bonnet.

"It was then we noticed smoke emitting from the car. The driver tried to stop it but the brakes failed. The driver then tried changing the gears but even that was not working. The driver somehow managed to stop near Bhikaji Cama Place and we got off the car. In the next few seconds, the entire car was on fire. We indeed were lucky to have got out in the nick of time," she said.

Mukherjee said the car was brand new and she had had its first servicing done on Monday. They had travelled for ten minutes in the car and were heading to a petrol pump when it caught fire, she said.
I believe the car was an automatic, considering how they say they were unable to change gears. Considering the car just came after its first service, it is highly likely that the problem was due to it. It is currently unknown if any third party accessories were installed in the car.
Source http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...w/45664578.cms
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 07:52   #461

Re: New VW Vento catches fire, brakes fail

We have seen many such instances where cars have broken down right after they were serviced.

Yesterday one of my relatives narrated his story (incident occurred last year) about how his Swift Vxi emitt white smoke from the bonnet; and that he stopped the vehicle before it was too late.
The culprit turned out to be the lid of the coolant box; which was loose and most of the coolant had spilled out. And as you guessed it right, his car too was serviced the very previous day!

Now will we have to do a PDI each time our vehicle is serviced?
Old 28th December 2014, 09:16   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
We have seen many such instances where cars have broken down right after they were serviced.

Yesterday one of my relatives narrated his story (incident occurred last year) about how his Swift Vxi emitt white smoke from the bonnet; and that he stopped the vehicle before it was too late.
The culprit turned out to be the lid of the coolant box; which was loose and most of the coolant had spilled out. And as you guessed it right, his car too was serviced the very previous day!

Now will we have to do a PDI each time our vehicle is serviced?
It has happened to me too. Had got our Accent serviced from Hyundai Service Center. While heading home, there was smoke from the bonnet. The culprit? The service centre guys had drained out the coolant (God knows for what reason) and forgot to fill it up again before handing over the car to me.

I guess we should start doing a PDI after servicing our vehicles.
Old 28th December 2014, 11:22   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I believe the car was an automatic, considering how they say they were unable to change gears..
Need not be an Automatic. The clutch will not work without the fluid. Brakes were also not working. The fire must have burnt the clutch and brake fluid lines.
Old 28th December 2014, 11:39   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
It has happened to me too. Had got our Accent serviced from Hyundai Service Center. While heading home, there was smoke from the bonnet. The culprit? The service centre guys had drained out the coolant (God knows for what reason) and forgot to fill it up again before handing over the car to me.

I guess we should start doing a PDI after servicing our vehicles.
Well you should do a PDI after service in India as a norm and also a small run right after you get your car from service with a slow speed run first to check if everything is functioning (brakes, gear shifting, has the clutch been bled right etc) and then a high speed run to check if the engine and car as good as they feel and sound after service (air filter cleaned, suspension re torqued, alignment done right etc). After all this, you are allowed to breath a sigh of relief.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 12:51   #465
Senior - BHPian

I do a visual check when I take the car back after service - Battery level, coolant in radiator + reservoir, brake oil, wind screen wash. I even open the air filter cover and check if the element is in place.

I have not mentioned engine oil because I always carry it with me and ensure it is filled in front of me, checking the level myself after the fill.

I do the same check for the bike too, ensuring chain tightener alignment, cotter pins in place, etc.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks