Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 18:10   #526
BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Thinking aloud:
Would it make sense to implement water sprinklers throughout highways and basic training given to people so that they can spray water/foam to reduce the damage in such situations ? I know this might be too wishful thinking but an idea to explore.
This is implemented in several cities in the form of fire hydrants. But sprinklers and foam? I dont know. Also, one third of India receives inadequate rainfall and half of the states declare drought every year. With much of the highway length in less inhabited water deficit areas, it is really impractical. Also the cost benefit ratio may not support it. Since most road deaths are due to causes other than fire, the amount of money needed for such a sprinkler-water source-pump infrastructure can very well be used for improving general road conditions and rectifying black spots.

Last edited by deerhunter : 23rd December 2016 at 18:11.
Old 26th December 2016, 10:59   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Thinking aloud:

Would it make sense to implement water sprinklers throughout highways and basic training given to people so that they can spray water/foam to reduce the damage in such situations ?
I feel a more practical approach can be to mandate every vehicle to have a fire extinguisher in it. That way, other people can help douse any flames that might be engulfing a vehicle on the road.

EDIT - yes there is a downside to it that people might not be wanting to put their money to douse someone else's flames (maybe) but then a life is way important than a few bucks on an extinguisher can.

Last edited by centaur : 26th December 2016 at 11:00.
Old 4th January 2017, 19:48   #528
Senior - BHPian

Just passed near by a burning AStar at BRT. No fire tenders near by. Couldn't click since I am driving. Posting this from next red light.

Last edited by myavu : 4th January 2017 at 20:09.
Old 4th January 2017, 20:00   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I feel a more practical approach can be to mandate every vehicle to have a fire extinguisher in it. That way, other people can help douse any flames that might be engulfing a vehicle on the road.

EDIT - yes there is a downside to it that people might not be wanting to put their money to douse someone else's flames (maybe) but then a life is way important than a few bucks on an extinguisher can.
At Oman, by law, it is compulsory for all vehicle showrooms to install fire extinguishers before delivery. Apart from fire extinguishers, medical kit and safety triangle were also a mandate.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:06   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
At Oman, by law, it is compulsory for all vehicle showrooms to install fire extinguishers before delivery. Apart from fire extinguishers, medical kit and safety triangle were also a mandate.
In India, without maintenance most of them would be wasted and would not work. Medical kits and safety triangle is a different issue.
Old 4th January 2017, 23:48   #531
BHPian

In this thread many incidents have reported, parked cars catching fire automatically, especially during the night time.

Even thoughthe electrical circuits may be perfect, one of the prime culprit is rodents. They get under the hood when the engine is cold and cut the wires and rubber parts. Even though it may not resulted in an immediate problem, it may get short circuited, once engine is operational due to vibration and movements.

I personally had two experiences, one time rodent cut the return fuel line and next time the head light motor control wire.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-rodents.jpg

I think manufacturers have to consider this fact seriously and protect at least the critical positive charged wires with some rodent resistant conduits (like suraksha (red colored) tubes which is used in gas connections, which is rodent resistant).

Also a frequent check - under the hood, for any loose contacts or cut wires may help to prevent any such incidents.
sunil8089 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 12:29   #532
BHPian

Spotted this burnt polo near the Hyderabad Central University. Incident happened on the opposite side.

I sincerely hope no one got hurt.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20170111_083100.jpg

Someone posted a video of the car online mentioning the car caught fire after hitting a dump of sand. I too spotted the sand but not sure if that's the cause of this accident.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 11th January 2017 at 12:34.
Old 16th January 2017, 16:40   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
In this thread many incidents have reported, parked cars catching fire automatically, especially during the night time.

Even thoughthe electrical circuits may be perfect, one of the prime culprit is rodents. They get under the hood when the engine is cold and cut the wires and rubber parts. Even though it may not resulted in an immediate problem, it may get short circuited, once engine is operational due to vibration and movements.

I personally had two experiences, one time rodent cut the return fuel line and next time the head light motor control wire.

Attachment 1592035

I think manufacturers have to consider this fact seriously and protect at least the critical positive charged wires with some rodent resistant conduits (like suraksha (red colored) tubes which is used in gas connections, which is rodent resistant).

Also a frequent check - under the hood, for any loose contacts or cut wires may help to prevent any such incidents.

This is a serious issue and during winters rodents find heated bed under the hood and start cutting things around.
I have myself seen rodents under the hood of my cars. Few suggestions to get them away are:

Keep the engine bay clean, smell attract partner rodents
Nepthanene balls helps to keep the rodents away
Try and park the cars away from sewage lines
Old 19th January 2017, 22:11   #534
BHPian

In a freak accident, car burns away after collision with divider at Vizag, no deaths or serious injuries reported. What could have led to this incident? Looks like a Alto800?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-2.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-3.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-4.jpg  

Old 20th January 2017, 10:05   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
In a freak accident, car burns away after collision with divider at Vizag, no deaths or serious injuries reported. What could have led to this incident? Looks like a Alto800?
wildest assumption - some kind of booze + a lit cigarette.. would have sparked a fire after the impact
Rohit_Quad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 10:10   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Looks like a Alto800?
Thats the current gen swift if I am not mistaken. The hatch door and the rolled up bonnet pretty much resembles a swift.
Old 20th January 2017, 10:11   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
wildest assumption - some kind of booze + a lit cigarette.. would have sparked a fire after the impact

You will be hard pressed to light booze, or even diesel, with a lit cigarette.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 10:20   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Thats the current gen swift if I am not mistaken. The hatch door and the rolled up bonnet pretty much resembles a swift.
It is the Alto 800. Look at the rear door. Not a Swift of any gen.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 10:32   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It is the Alto 800. Look at the rear door. Not a Swift of any gen.
My bad. I stand corrected. Just noticed the front fender and it is indeed the 800. I actually thought of one of the pics to be of the hatch door but later realised all of them are of the bonnet
Old 16th February 2017, 22:12   #540
BHPian

So this just happened in Mangalore, Karnataka

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-carfire_1602173.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-carfire_1602176.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-carfire_16021715.jpg

Quote:
It is said that when the car was parked, the residents in the vicinity set fire to dry leaves and waste close to the car. The fire spread to the vehicle and it was engulfed in flames.
Source and Image credits: Daijiworld

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks