Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 14:51   #556
BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Just came across this post on Facebook.

Royal Enfield Bike on fire - RE CLASSIC 350 caught fire while PARKED

It was shocking and extremely scary what happened to my 3 months old Bullet. I had driven it around 4 km (09/06/2017) and parked it in the parking of my building. After around 20 min, I was informed that my bike was on fire. My brain was not ready to believe this and I ran down to see it for myself wishing it was not true. When I witnessed it, my heart sank. Never could I imagine that this would happen to my bike and that too of such a high brand. My neighbors quickly moved their cars around and the fire was only brought to control by the Fire Brigade. I am so thankful that this did not happen at night as the damage could have been much much worse.

Even though all this happened, I was feeling confident that I could sort this out with Royal Enfield. But I did not realize that another shock awaits me.

On informing the showroom that my bike caught on fire while standing in my garage, I got this amazing response, "This would be a manufacturing/Royal Enfield issue if the fire would have started while the bike was running !!!". WOW. Never in a million years did I expect this response. If I was in the hospital with burns on my body or WORSE, Royal Enfield would have accepted it as a manufacturing defect. Instead, they are asking me to go my insurance company and take the matter with them. Amazing customer service. My family has requested me to stop driving a bike fearing for my safety now.

I have read and seen, westerners and even western celebrities talking about riding these bikes during visits which is considered as an Indian treasure. After this, I hope they reconsider for their safety.

I sincerely hope this is a local representative issue and not the approach that Royal Enfield takes for customer safety and service.

This is not an isolated incident. Refer to the same issue reported in 2014 .

I am not sure what is going to happen next and how am I going to be compensated for my loss. Just have a look at the picture and you will understand how lucky I was.
VR/46_Chet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 12:10   #557
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey25 View Post
There were no aftermarket accessories or nothing of that sort installed in the car and upon searching the internet I found mercedes to be the culprit . Link to the article - http://jalopnik.com/one-million-merc...y-c-1792939731

Any update from your friend on how this has being handled by Mercedes so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
5 day old Mercedes catches fire in delhi.
Same question for this case...
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 12:28   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Any update from your friend on how this has being handled by Mercedes so far?

Same question for this case...
Mercedes India has apologized for the whole incident . He has been given a GLC and an apple laptop in exchange for his CLA . Mercedes convinced him not to file a case and he too wanted to avoid the hassle of pursuing the case so he didn't file any case . I pursuaded him to take the case forward but he didn't do so !
shrey25 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:40   #559
BHPian

I've been wanting to post this for a while, but couldn't. This incident happened a week ago in Alappuzha, Kerala.

An ecosport caught fire and was completely burned. I heard the car was parked when the fire started out, but there were still people in it. everyone managed to get out safe and sound.

that's all the info i have right now. I will update soon i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-eco1.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-eco2.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-eco3.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-eco4.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-eco5.jpg  

Night_Fury is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:39   #560
Senior - BHPian

Happened today around 10:15 AM near Powai Lake signal on JVLR. Spotted on other side while going to SEEPZ. It was horrible inferno holding up complete traffic standstill for quite sometime, traffic was released slowly and some JVLR traffic was diverted through Hiranandani Gardens Powai. Reportedly nobody got hurt as per informed by the bystander rickshaw driver who said he observed since start.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20170627_10_22_12_pro.jpg

On return could catch a glimpse of the car in the sad state.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20170627_13_55_41_pro.jpg
parsh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 19:02   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Happened today around 10:15 AM near Powai Lake signal on JVLR.
Got a clear image of the car, it was a Ford Fiesta.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_ss_20170627_0006.png  

amrutmhatre90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 09:42   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Got a clear image of the car, it was a Ford Fiesta.
Related?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...a-classic.html
Old 13th August 2017, 18:02   #563
Senior - BHPian

Horrific incident of car catching fire near Coimbatore. The owner/driver managed to save his wife and children by pushing them out but tragically, could not save himself as his seatbelt got stuck. Looks like a Maruti Ritz.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60042729.cms

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/man-s...ome-topstories

Last edited by wilful : 13th August 2017 at 18:03. Reason: Link added
Old 26th August 2017, 15:40   #564
BHPian

Spotted this previous generation BMW 3-Series lying outside Park Street police station. Seems to have had a severe engine fire. No idea of when or how it happened, just hope that the occupants made it out fine. Sad to see a nice car become scrap. (Apologies for the poor image quality. I clicked it from a moving car.)
Attached Images

fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:54   #565
BHPian

One of my friend's Wagon R met with a fire accident when it was parked outside a hospital in Hyderabad, last week. According to the eye witness, fire started suddenly from the left head lamp of the car (Pics attached below). My friend confirmed that no after market accessories were fitted in the car.

My friend is waiting for an update from the insurance firm (Royal Sundaram, in this case).

The car was towed to a Maruti ASS here in Hyderabad. They have submitted an estimate of 1.8 Lakhs to the insurance company. The IDV of the vehicle is 2.15 Lakhs.
My friend's family members were very upset and they do not want to get this car repaired. So, he is in a big dilemma now.

Please provide your valuable suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-one.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-two.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-three.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-four.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 4th October 2017 at 15:00.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 08:46   #566
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Naveen Reddy Churukanti for sharing this link with us!

Full Firstpost Article

Quote:
On Monday, Tripathy pulled his 2011 BMW 320D out of his parking space at 7 am. Tripathy was driving his daughter to school. Tripathy was stopped by a frantic security guard of his building Marathon Era, Lower Parel.

Tripathy wondered what had happened and thought he'd accidentally turned on his headlights. Tripathy checked his dashboard, however, the security guard walked up and knocked on his window.

"There's a fire under your car," the security guard told him. Alarmed, Tripathy and his daughter jumped out of the car and rushed away. Tripathy was shocked to see flames under the engine.
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmwfire380285.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 15:12   #567
BHPian

A very sad incident from Bangalore. Two innocent lives ended in a Maruti Ritz which went ablaze.

Quote:
A 30—year-old woman and her four-year-old son died were charred to death inside their car while they were trying to park the vehicle in the basement parking lot of the Sumadhura Anandam apartment complex in Whitefield on Friday afternoon. The reasons for the fire or why the victims were unable to get out of the vehicle are yet to be ascertained. Whitefield police have registered a case and are probing the incident. "We suspect a short circuit in the wiring of the car to be the prima facie reason for the fire," said Whitefield DCP Abdul Ahad.

The deceased are identified as Neha Varma, and her son Param. Neha, the wife of a private firm employee Rajesh, had gone outside for shopping. She had taken her only son with her in her Maruti Ritz car. Security cameras have captured the image of the car entering the apartment compound and heading towards the basement around 3.25 pm. The fire reportedly started immediately and both of them were found charred to death inside the vehicle.
Link to full Bangalore Mirror news report.

Other news reports:
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-image1.jpeg
Old 6th February 2018, 16:06   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
A very sad incident from Bangalore. Two innocent lives ended in a Maruti Ritz which went ablaze.
This is an absolutely shocking incident. How rapidly must the fire have engulfed them to not even have the time to react and get out safely. Their lives must have ended before they are even fully aware. Hopefully a full and thorough investigation follows in the aftermath of this sorry incident and find the cause.

The fact that we are not immune to such carnages, is bone chilling.

Although may not be entirely related, periodical maintenance is therefore crucial and goes a long way in rectifying such faults if any.
Old 4th April 2018, 22:50   #569
BHPian

I was just coming back from my badminton practise and saw this Ford Ecosport. Thankfully from what I was able to gather, no harm was caused to any involved parties.

Not sure if it deserves to be here tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20180404_2135241.jpg  

Old 30th April 2018, 21:18   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashish Saini shares this horrific incident about his Hyundai Creta diesel, which happened yesterday (29th April). Thankfully, nobody was affected.

(with minor edits to make the post more legible)

Quote:
The incident took place while I was traveling with my parents and my wife. So, a total of four members were present in the car along with belongings worth almost 2 lacs. I was coming back from a marriage function and was about to conclude my destination. Immediately we heard a blast from the engine compartment accompanied by a huge smog coming out from under the engine hood. We immediately stopped the car and came out but the vehicle had caught fire somehow. We saved our lives but we lost our car and belongings. We tried to douse it with water but it was too late and the massive fire spoiled everything.
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-1.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-2.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-3.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-4.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-5.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-6.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed