Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 16:48   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

An oil tanker that caught fire as per reports on Vadgaon Bridge in Pune. Haven't got any further info.
I'm curious about what this tanker was carrying and if it was flammable. From the video it's unclear to me. Any wisdom as to whether this can result in a major explosion. If so, people should not be watching from so close!
Old 19th December 2019, 07:28   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This is quite an adventurous fire incident in a truck
Another similar incident, but no date or location is available.
The load carried by a truck (another vehicle) is on fire. The driver drives the truck to a ? Water service station and gets it doused by water sprays.

It looks like he knew the location of the water station or someone guided him. This could have ended much worse. Once more stresses on the need to have fire extinguishers in commercial (and personal) vehicles.
Can't rely on these jugaads to avert a major fire incident.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 08:53   #648
BHPian

Today morning :
Tanker on fire on Mumbai Pune expressway. this is on the ghat section, on the Pune to Mumbai corridor, near the *JEEP* advertisement hoarding.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20191219wa0002.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th June 2020 at 14:28.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 06:53   #649
Senior - BHPian

An MG Hector on fire in Bandra, Mumbai. This has also been posted in the MG Hector thread. There's a lot of discussion about this and whether Jeep and Hector are prone for fires.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 07:47   #650
Senior - BHPian

My brother's Honda City was damaged in a fire incident yesterday.
He had stopped at the signal near Coffee Day Square when people started shouting fire. He quickly got out to see the bumper caught on fire. Few passerby quickly poured water over the fire and extinguished it. The damage is limited to the bumper and left fog lamp. Engine bay and other components are not harmed.

He had just got it a month ago from used car portal Spinny. The car only has reverse parking sensors as additional accessories. The car was always serviced at authorised service centre.
Spinny have agreed to have it repaired at their cost as the car is covered under their warranty.

My brother is extremely lucky as the fire was noticed immediately and he had stopped at the signal. Few seconds more he would have crossed the signal to enter Cubbon Park, where he would have picked up speed as the traffic is sparse inside the park. With speed and wind, the fire would have spread beyond the bumper and into engine bay.

Now we need to find the exact reason which caused the fire. Most probably the left fog lamp is the culprit as the fog lamp is completely destroyed. There are no rats in my brother's parking space and car is used everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20191231wa0008.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20191231wa0007.jpg  

speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:07   #651
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

News: Skoda Superb Bursts Into Flames At Petrol Pump In Hyderabad

Quote:
Hyderabad: A car burst into flames while refilling fuel at a Hyderabad petrol pump, dramatic visuals of the incident showed. No casualties were reported. The Skoda Superb stood dangerously close to the fuelling machines as huge plumes of thick black smoke could be seen in the sky.
The black sedan caught fire when driver went to washroom while his car was being refuelled. "Petrol spilled over and because the vehicle was overheated after a long distance drive. As the car went up in flames, the driver and owner ran away from the area. The pump management reacted quickly and called 100 and fire service. Both reached within 5-10 minutes. The staff also helped and we were able to control the damage and prevent this from becoming really big," a police official said.
LINK.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2020 at 09:59. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks for sharing!
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 14:34   #652
BHPian

Posted this on the other accidents thread also. Posting here again as it seems more appropriate thread.

Another addition to petrol pump mishaps:

Hyderabad: Fire engulfs petrol pump after Skoda Superb car bursts into flames while refueling
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73055309.cms

This incident again highlights the lack of attention we pay to hazards while refueling. Hot car and unattended filling. May be filling over and above the cut off could be the culprit.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please use the search feature before posting. You are requested to post on one thread for one query / post only.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st January 2020 at 15:10.
Old 7th January 2020, 12:45   #653
Senior - BHPian

A couple of videos of vehicles on fire in India.
Lack of fire extinguishers seems to be a significant problem.
A tractor fire in Andhra Pradesh/Telangana (unconfirmed location). The tractor drivers are being lauded as they prevented the tractor from getting burnt (long video). But in the process they almost cause a bushfire.

This is an i10(as per the Facebook post) on fire in Hogenakkal. It's completely on fire and no sign of a possibility of putting it out.

I too don't have a fire extinguisher in my car, but looking at some of these videos and pictures may buy one that is safe and easy to use.
Old 26th January 2020, 06:41   #654
Senior - BHPian

This is a major and scary accident near Surat.
Video is from a distance, but still captures the force of the explosions.

Quote:
In a major incident, a truck carrying 300 LPG cylinders of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) caught fire, resulting in a series of blasts on Surat–Olpad road near Masma village at 7.15am on Thursday morning. A spark in the battery devise of the truck caused the fire, which soon spread to the whole vehicle.
A school bus carrying 24 students was moving on the same road at the time of the incident which collided with a truck full of sand coming from opposite direction.
The children of the school bus were moved to safety before the blasts took place.
News link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...VHby4&from=mdr
Note: this video is being circulated with some gruesome photos of burnt bodies. This is not true. In this particular incident there were no casualties. Those gruesome images are from another crash.
Old 28th January 2020, 15:01   #655
BHPian

Yet another case of car catching fire.

A KUV 100 caught fire yesterday and the reasons are yet to be ascertained. The couple traveling were lucky enough to escape on time as they saw smoke coming out of hood.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-screenshot_20200128145305__01.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-screenshot_20200128145315__01__01.jpg

Police has registered the case and started the investigation.

Source News 18
uditsharma01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:22   #656
Senior - BHPian

While MG Hector seems to be getting all the publicity for vehicles catching fire, other vehicles too are catching fire. This was posted recently and is on the Chennai to Salem highway. Not sure of the actual date.

Is that an Ecosport?
MG Hectors are obviously very concerning owing to the age of the vehicles and the number of fires to number of vehicles sold ratio. No car appears immune to a fire as mentioned in this thread.
The only thing reassuring is that a couple of people around being fire extinguishers and put our the fire. It's not clear if they were from a petrol pump or any other store/commercial office.
Old 29th January 2020, 23:37   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is that an Ecosport?
The only thing reassuring is that a couple of people around being fire extinguishers and put our the fire. It's not clear if they were from a petrol pump or any other store/commercial office.
Yep, it is a lower variant of Ford Ecosport. I think i can see a hint of the TDCi badge on the boot.
Old 1st February 2020, 06:38   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

A Kwid caught fire after colliding with a pole in Surat. CCTV link is shared here. What's surprising is the time the fire takes to spread. It's all too soon. Thankfully, the passengers were evacuated by bystanders. The driver lost control and after hitting a few bikes parked on left side of the road, hits the pole on right side, most probably due to overcorrection. The car immediately burst into flames.

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-screenshot_20200201064256.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 1st February 2020 at 06:41.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:26   #659

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

This happened when I was waiting for my signal to turn green and suddenly I start to see people running away and vehicles breaking signal, slowly the smoke started to rise high and only then I came to know that something was burning on the other side of the road. My signal turned green and as i move ahead I saw a silver Ford Ecosport’s bonnet was surrounded by smoke and slowly flames started to peep out and within no time the car’s front was in flames.
Did another round on the same road, but by then firefighters controlled the fire and the car was taken off the road.

Couldnt find the exact reason, but crowd said engine temperature exceeded 100 degrees.
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20200201_190811.jpg

Last edited by ShreeUKale : 3rd February 2020 at 14:29. Reason: Picture added on the next line.
ShreeUKale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 23:34   #660
Senior - BHPian

As per a Facebook post, this fire was in a Toyota dealer at Hubli this month. I couldn't find further details on the post.

This news link states that 10 cars were burnt.
https://kannada.asianetnews.com/vide...charred-q63qb7

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks