Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 21:39   #226
BHPian

Re: Car on fire

Oh that looks bad! It is a Toyota Etios btw.
Hope everyone was safe.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:51   #227
BHPian

We already have thread for this, Please merge it with this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-india-15.html
Old 10th July 2012, 22:36   #228
BHPian

I too was stranded on the same stretch for about 30 min before cops let the traffic pass. This one's a Chevy Aveo Elite -Cream white color car. This is the second Chevy Aveo I have seen burnt to cinders in the last 3 month on this stretch. There was another Aveo (not sure about the color) which had caught fire too not very far from this spot (on the main Gurgaon-faridabad highway) and it's carcass lay there for almost 2 months. It has been removed only recently. Today's spot has been witness to a burnt indica about 4 months ago. I take this stretch everyday and hence the recall.

Hope nobody was hurt in the freak accident. Sid
Old 10th July 2012, 22:44   #229
BHPian

Ouch. That looks horrible. I hope all the passengers were safe. Curious to know how it started/happened. It looks to me like an Etios.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:37   #230
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Saw a completely charred red Swift today in Hiranandani Powai, a little ahead of Haiko Supermarket before D-Mart. From the pics, didn't look like the fire originated in the engine. The whole passenger area is burnt to a crisp, only metal frames were visible.

Hope the owners got out in time.
That's a perfect car to get an engine from!
Old 11th July 2012, 15:28   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Don't know if this is the right thread to post, but since it happened on a street I thought of posting it here.
=============
Attachment 954837
I too saw this car burning at 7pm. We were on the opposite side and returning from office in Cyber city. While we were trying to slow down to capture a quick pic, we were told to move on as they were expecting the CNG cylinder in the burning car to explode. Meanwhile police had stopped the vehicle on the side where the car was burning to avoid losses during the anticipated explosion. From the face of it, it seemed that the passengers had exited from the car before parking it by the side of the road.
What happened next is a huge jam on the side of the burning car for about half a km. For the remaining stretch of the "Pahari" road (as it is called), the cars decided to take a U-turn and approach the nearest traffic lights (close to DLF phase 1). This caused a chaos at the lights and sadly, the fire brigade, referred to in the above post, was caught in those chunk of vehicles. We were wondering that it would atleast take half an hour for it to move out of the jam and reach the site. And that has been confirmed by our fellow bhp-ian.
God save us from such accidents !!
Old 12th July 2012, 01:24   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
Oh that looks bad! It is a Toyota Etios btw.
Hope everyone was safe.
Sad hope everyone safe btw Doesn't look like Toyota etios
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:30   #233
Senior - BHPian

Polo Catches fire

Hello friends,

Just to update you, a VW Polo in my office compound caught fire. The owner had parked the car and it seems after a while it went up in flames, luckily the building security controlled the fire and the car is saved. Currently, the fire brigade and police is conducting a thorough investigation as I am typing this.

Lesson learnt - VW has not yet learnt its lesson and not rectified its mistakes. I would not sit a VW car ever! They had a hard time opening the locked car...

Have clicked some pictures and shall post them soon.

PS: No linjury to anyone except some shock and disbelief.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:34   #234
BHPian

Re: Polo Catches fire

Hope its not the after market ICE and bad wiring job. Need to see what the fire and police report says.

-Sajan
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if the police would share their reports! Will try and get the information from the security personnel.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:38   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Just to update you, a VW Polo in my office compound caught fire. The owner had parked the car and it seems after a while it went up in flames, luckily the building security controlled the fire and the car is saved. Currently, the fire brigade and police is conducting a thorough investigation as I am typing this.

Lesson learnt - VW has not yet learnt its lesson and not rectified its mistakes. I would not sit a VW car ever! They had a hard time opening the locked car...
This is a shock to me. But at the same time, we are not sure whether the owner had done any modification from local guys or not. Again I repeat, not all local garage guys are experts.

VW cars are known to have complex electricals and I have seen many experienced local guys not ready to work on VW cars. What I am trying to say is that there might be other possibilities also.
Last but not the least, I have seen owners put in 100W bulbs without changing holder and without relay. High power Bulbs are not plug and play, not atlest in India where things are generally on threshold.

But somehow, I feel that old school engineering was the best. The best example is cars of 1995-2000 era. You take the original Zen, do many mods, add elecrticals but the still the car would work. People have added fans in cars like Eeco, Omni, even Tavera and Innova, but no incidents of fire.

The modern day lean engineering has brought things to such a state that any change has to be monitored carefully.
Hoping that VW would now actually come forward and help in investigations.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:47   #237
Senior - BHPian

That's bad. There are more VWs burning rather than Tatas.

After market ICEs should not be an excuse, as majority cars have after market ICE setups. The tolerance level of the electricals should be higher, after all they have customised their cars mechanically to Indian road conditions.

IMO opinion any manufacturer whose car burns down, should probe the incident honestly, rather than washing hands by claiming warranty lapse on account of after market parts. Alternatively, they should prescribe the tolerable limit of the after market after market parts so that common man who is not such informed is not duped .
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Now, some conflicting reports are coming in, people are saying that an esteem parked next to the Polo caught fire first; I doubt that as esteem has minimal damage where as POLO has suffered a lot in the engine bay area. How can a car that is parked next to another burn another car's engine bay?
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hello friends,

Have clicked some pictures and shall post them soon.

PS: No linjury to anyone except some shock and disbelief.

Hi amtak,

Before I write my points, I must admit I am an owner of a VW Polo 1.6 but no way affiliated to VW in any way.

The problem with us is that we jump to conclusions like a bad habit gone wrong. Ok a car (whether VW, Tata, Suzuki...) caught fire for some odd reason. As per your post, investigations are still on so we don't know the reasons yet but we are ready to jump and say that we will never sit in that manufacturer's models again! Ridiculous!

Anyway, it could be possible that there was a short circut. This could be wither due to a manufacturing defect or due to some modification done by the owner which was not upto standards.

Any what is the mistake that you are talking about that VW has not rectified? I am asking this so that I can get my car check too.

So do update us on the reason once you get to know it.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:58   #240
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2012 at 14:02.
911turbo is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks