Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 15:21   #496
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Maruti Celerio Diesel catches fire. The driver was not able to get out of the car. Video shows the car moving, while the driver is still honking :(

http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-suzuk...-12175296.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-maruticeleriodieselcatchesfire1810x696.jpg  

Old 30th November 2015, 15:29   #497
BHPian

"By the time fire brigade officials arrived, a huge number of people had gathered. It took about 15 minutes for the officials to douse the fire.
Initial reports suggest the cause of fire was a short circuit."

This is the reason why the companies don't want us to cut cables and do mods on the electrical systems. You don't know what kind of quality tests has the electrical fitting has gone through.
Dont be surprised if the root cause is attributed to such an external device.

I do remember one flight coming down with fire due to the cables starting to burn on the newly installed entertainment system.

Last edited by ShaileshHinge : 30th November 2015 at 15:31.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 15:56   #498
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Goodness gracious, I have been seeing this charred vehicle every day on my route to work since the last week or so and the bike as well. Never knew what happened until I read the article.

Man, I really feel sorry for the poor soul! I leave my house everyday at 6:45 AM sharp but I am guessing this incident might have happened last Tuesday since I stayed at my friend's apartment at Surat on Monday evening due to some work. I carry a 1 kg firex in my boot as well - could have tried a hand at helping the guy.

Rest in peace Doc.

EDIT: A snap clicked today morn:

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-wp_20151201_06_51_43_pro.jpg

The bike can be seen next to it.

Guys, please keep a 1/2 kg ABC dry powder firex in your car somewhere easily accessible (like a footwell), a hammer to break open the glass and a utility knife to cut the seat belts if the anchors get jammed. There are some fancy gadgets available in the market right now but I'd prefer keeping a hammer and blade separately in the glovebox. A good dry powder 2 kg firex costs between 2-3k.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st December 2015 at 09:10.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:05   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
This is the reason why the companies don't want us to cut cables and do mods on the electrical systems. You don't know what kind of quality tests has the electrical fitting has gone through.
Dont be surprised if the root cause is attributed to such an external device.
Such incidents are the reason that doors remain unlocked from inside in few of the car models sold by few thoughtful car companies concerned about passenger safety so that in case of electronics failure due to fire, flood or any other cause, one doesn't get trapped inside the car and can open the door. But unfortunately most of the Indian car manufacturers and car buyers don't pay attention on this most important thing and prefer lockable doors.

This looks like the video of the same car:

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd December 2015 at 10:07.
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:23   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Such incidents are the reason that doors remain unlocked from inside in few of the car models sold by few thoughtful car companies concerned about passenger safety so that in case of electronics failure due to fire, flood or any other cause, one doesn't get trapped inside the car and can open the door. But unfortunately most of the Indian car manufacturers and car buyers don't pay attention on this most important thing and prefer lockable doors.
Absolutely agree. My Rapid has this feature where the door always opens from inside.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:56   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Initial reports suggest the cause of fire was a short circuit."
It is really scary to see what a short circuit can do. Even a fire extinguisher would be little help if the fire spreads so quickly.
RIP Doc.
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:42   #502
BHPian

Another problem during such incidents is the presence of mind. not all can handle such a situation, some can stay calm and figure out quickly whats the next option. Some panic and then wont be able to do anything, resulting in worse situations.

That said, when the fire starts, won't there be smell or any indication that can be used as a warning and escape ?
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:34   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Another problem during such incidents is the presence of mind.
I agree with you, not everyone can handle such a situation. However it is precisely for this reason that car manufacturers should study human behaviour and design the car accordingly. In a panic situation the normal behaviour will be to jump out and flee. Safety regulations specify the design and behaviour of a seatbelt, but door locks should be designed to be openable from the inside regardless of the situation. It could be a single pull, or a double-pull as in case of some VW cars. In a panic, people will generally try to keep tugging on the lever until the door opens.

It is the manufacturers responsibility, no two ways about it. There are a few who cut corners in India, but I think a lot are putting their products in line with the international standards even though not mandated by the GoI or Road Transport requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
That said, when the fire starts, won't there be smell or any indication that can be used as a warning and escape ?
In India there are always things burning. I've frequently smelled plastic burning, pulled over in a hurry and jumped out to investigate only to find the source is someone burning garbage a way off. It is hard not to become complacent, not to ignore these things. Another example is on a hilly, winding stretch of road (NH) in Kerala which is a busy state transport and private bus route. The roads are of very good quality, and buses drive fast and brake hard around bends and descents resulting in a smell of burning rubber. We had a scare because we couldn't identify the source and drove slow for a long period until we met a cabbie who said to ignore the smell because it is from the buses and not the car.

Terrible for the poor Dr. God bless his soul, and give his family strength.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 01:10   #504
BHPian

Good god, that video actually showed the remnants of the Dr. in the driver's seat all charred and burnt!

And check out all the nice citizens taking photos of the body:-(
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:12   #505
BHPian

6 months old Hyundai Eon - Burns up while starting. What to do now?

Dear all,
This is about a Hyundai Eon purchased in July 2015 ( dLite+ model) by my colleague. The car has been in regular use since then and has covered approximately 5000 km till date. It has been well maintained and serviced as prescribed by the manufacturing company with Hyundai’s Authorized dealer. Also it doesn't have any unauthorized electrical installations.

However, on 12th January 2016 when he tried to start the vehicle, it caught fire in the parking itself resulting in heavy damage. Around 5-6 cars which are usually parked beside in the parking area were at risk. He escaped death closely as a neighbor immediately alerted him of smoke from the bonnet. The watchman and few other neighbors helped him out in bringing the smoke & fire under control.

However, given the fact that it was a new vehicle purchased only months before and that he had not tampered with any accessories whatsoever or in any manner, he doesn’t feel it justified that such an incident should occur. He has launched a claim with the car’s insurer who most probably would declare it as total loss. Given the fact that the insurer’s liability is around 70k-80k less than the money shelled out in taking a new car into possession this would be an unnecessary loss to the owner. He has written to the customer redressal cell of Hyundai Motors India Ltd., yet to receive a reply from them. The dealer has quoted around 2.6L worth of replacement & repair, while he is now feeling insecure & skeptical to use the same car again.

He is very much inclined that the company provides him a new car covering the RTO and insurance charges as applicable and see this as an incident that could have taken a toll on his life as well as all other society members / neighbor's cars parked beside his car while it was on caught fire!

Please find attached the car images after the incident. There is also damage to the plastic panels near driver foot well. I would request you to suggest me ways to take this case forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20160112_085728.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20160113_084345.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20160118wa0001.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:28   #506
Senior - BHPian

re: 6 months old Hyundai Eon - Burns up while starting. What to do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Dear all,
This is about a Hyundai Eon purchased in July 2015 ( dLite+ model) by my colleague. The car has been in regular use since then and has covered approximately 5000 km till date. It has been well maintained and serviced as prescribed by the manufacturing company with Hyundai’s Authorized dealer. Also it doesn't have any unauthorized electrical installations.

However, on 12th January 2016 when he tried to start the vehicle, it caught fire in the parking itself resulting in heavy damage.
If the car has been maintained at the authorized service station and if there have been no unauthorized electrical installations, the company would not put the blame on the user.

Either the company will replace (or repair) the car under the warrantee or the insurance company will settle the claim. You have the choice between the manufacturer and the insurance company. Be firm but polite with the manufacturer when you ask for replacement. Escalate the matter to higher levels, if needed.

Whether to replace the car or to repair it, is totally to the discretion of the manufacturer. This is clearly mentioned in the terms and conditions of warrantee.

In any case, the car owner will need to pay for the taxes and insurance of the new vehicle. Manufacturer's warrantee as well as the insurance policy does not cover the taxes and insurance. Insurance company won't even discuss payment of taxes and payment of premium for the new insurance policy. The car manufacturer may discuss it as a gesture of goodwill. That is why you need to be firm but polite and you need to escalate the matter to top levels if necessary.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 23rd January 2016 at 13:30.
Old 24th February 2016, 21:51   #507
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Ganesh Sonawane for sharing!

Renault Kwid catches fire in the Aurangabad area. Does look accessorised. Considering it's not even got a permanent number yet, odds are that the accessories were purchased at the dealership. Was it a manufacturing fault or due to an accessory?

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-kwid-fire.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 22:03   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Ganesh Sonawane for sharing!
Was it a manufacturing fault or due to an accessory?

Attachment 1480167
It looks like the car was involved in a frontal offset collision. The right fender and the bonnet look damaged. Highly unlikely that extreme heat from a fire could have caused this.. May be a case of fire after accident?
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 11:07   #509
BHPian

Looks like a high speed crash, but I am surprised to see the car catching fire.
On a suspicious note, how every potential threat to Maruti Suzuki car catches fire I am unable to fathom.
speedguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 11:45   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Looks like a high speed crash, but I am surprised to see the car catching fire.
On a suspicious note, how every potential threat to Maruti Suzuki car catches fire I am unable to fathom.
Its a high speed crash. There is an explosive fluid involved. There is fire and sparks. A battery which can cause sparks. A hot engine block. There are thousands permutations possible to start a fire.
That conspiracy theory is one of the funniest ever. Come on.

Most Viewed