Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2008, 23:43   #16
BHPian

really bad,the owner was safe though.man what is happening to indian cars

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 28th June 2008 at 23:46.
Old 29th June 2008, 00:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

One of my acquaintainces is working at the M&M workshop at Marathalli, Bangalore and he tells me that the M Hawk engine is a gem ( which is a fact ) but they are getting a lot of issues with the new gizmos , and most of the time they just have to be replaced as no one in M&M, banaglore it seems is trained in the finer details of the electronics, in the mHAWK till date ....

Anyways the onwer in this case seems to be lucky to have escaped, and there definitley is the charm of the press working on the information to sensationalise the incident, as rippergoe noticed the bonnet has been opened and properly secured .
Old 29th June 2008, 00:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
The first one being one of the wheel overtaking the car and now this incident.

I dont think those 2 incidents can be discussed in the same breath. One had everything to do with human error and the other had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

This is serious for Scorpio owners and others considering purchase of the same.

--Ramky

Relax. If every Scorpio came with flaming electricals, they'd be quite visible by now as landmarks.

Last edited by theMAG : 29th June 2008 at 01:08.
Old 29th June 2008, 01:04   #19
BHPian

Err.. I'm not sure if this would make any sense, but isn't it really hard for a "DIESEL" car to catch fire, whatever the case be. So, to me it appears more of a "techinical" problem than a wire issue.

Please throw some fire on this.... oops! I meant please throw some light on this

Cheers!

Last edited by married2speed : 29th June 2008 at 01:08.
Old 29th June 2008, 10:05   #20
BANNED

the car has been registered in patiala where i live
Old 29th June 2008, 10:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
the car has been registered in patiala where i live
You're right. The newspaper report clearly says Ambala; but the thread title says Chandigarh!

Last edited by anupmathur : 29th June 2008 at 10:27.
Old 29th June 2008, 10:30   #22
BHPian

This is really sad for the owner , but i completely agree with fellow bhpians that this is purely a incident and has nothing to do with Car make or model . Also came across such series on Indica some years before and all jumped to say that make is not up the mark .

But yes gives us all a tip to ensure we do all fittments at a authorized shop or known proffessional .

Regards... Kat
Old 29th June 2008, 11:04   #23
BHPian

man that is down right outrageous! didnt know that couple of scorpios caught fire earlier too. this the 3rd?
the real cause should be diagnosed and if its M&M's fault, they should be sued and sucked of all their money.
money loss, harassment for the owner.
Old 29th June 2008, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Burnouts like these can happen to any car, over any period of time. I don't think its the manufacturer at fault always.
Old 29th June 2008, 18:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
however, scorpios do seem to be going up in flames rather frequently like steeroid pointed out.
Maybe its just coincidence or a question of timing whereby quite a few cases have come to our notice in the past few weeks. So I guess we shouldn't be reading too much into it.

On the other hand, someone had pointed out on another thread (and I checked this out on the website as well) that the Scorpio comes with fire retardent upholstery as a standard fitment - hmmm, now that makes one wonder, doesn't it?
Old 29th June 2008, 23:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
On the other hand, someone had pointed out on another thread (and I checked this out on the website as well) that the Scorpio comes with fire retardent upholstery as a standard fitment - hmmm, now that makes one wonder, doesn't it?
Perhaps they knew it would set the roads on fire...
Old 30th June 2008, 00:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You're right. The newspaper report clearly says Ambala; but the thread title says Chandigarh!
That was down to the mods.
Old 30th June 2008, 00:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
man that is down right outrageous! didnt know that couple of scorpios caught fire earlier too. this the 3rd?
the real cause should be diagnosed and if its M&M's fault, they should be sued and sucked of all their money.
money loss, harassment for the owner.
The real cause will not be found and I doubt very much that it is an inherent problem with the Scorpio.

There would be far more cases (and a public outcry) if this was a problem with the Scoprio itself.

As for the fire retardant issue, this does not mean it does not catch fire it just lasts a bit longer than normal before it smoulders etc.
Old 30th June 2008, 10:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Suggest Look For Objective Data.

[quote]
Cyrus,
"I hope this doesnt turn into another Scorpio Bashing thread. Just because a car catches fire that doesnt mean it is a cause of concern for all other owners too. As seen with most of these casses, it is always a case of rubbish acessories. I bet that the scorpio in question would have had plently of that rubbish put into it. Especially after seeing that stupid crash guard on it."
[quote]

[quote]
The Mag:
"Relax. If every Scorpio came with flaming electricals, they'd be quite visible by now as landmarks"
[quote]

I posted about objective data, since reports of Scorpio are appearing; at least I have read 2 of them with some details, photos and a video. With so many Scorpios running, 2 of them catching fire could be a one off thing; due to faulty wiring, electrical loads and lack of understanding of basic safety wiring issues. Some objective data, if it can be pieced together includes:

* What's the owners response, who is he, contact numbers?
* What's the assessment of garage / insurance / lay-press / anyone else?
* Who witnessed the incident, any other views to the incident?
* Do we have any TBHP person who has some access to this data?
* Is there any response from M&M about this, if so, what did they say?

Nobody in his right mind would jump to conclusions and condemn such a fine piece of R&D, Engineering and machinary just on hearsay / subjective data or on emotinal grounds. I think 2 burn reports are "serious" enough to warrant a thorough investigations, at least to rule out that someone is not out to attest the galloping sale of the Scorpio.

I don't know if there are reports of other cars burning, here or in any other forums, if so, it would be interesting to see what was the cause? At least ppl here would learn about the common fire hazards and be prepared.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
===========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th June 2008 at 10:03.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Nobody in his right mind would jump to conclusions and condemn such a fine piece of R&D, Engineering and machinary just on hearsay / subjective data or on emotinal grounds.
Couldn't agree more with you, Ramky!
But alas, this is a public forum and many vent their thoughts/frustrations in many different ways!
I tend to agree and would really WANT to believe that this is NOT a design issue with Scorpios.
The fact that many of the best marques have had the same fate (of setting the charts, er.. sorry, roads on fire) in Delhi itself, only goes to lend credence to the fact that OTHER factors are at play here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks