Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 00:21   #16
BHPian

had a similar experience in rajasthan thankfully no one got beaten up or any thing nor was there a accident the goons got aggressive only because i didnt allow them to overtake to avoid a biker who suddenly popped out of the side road BUT it did leave a sour taste best avoid night journeys and any sort of confrontations as for the cops they just asked me to leave advising "these things happen dont tangle with the locals". wish i had a ak 47 or something at that point.
Old 18th August 2010, 06:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

This is really bad. Good that every one was safe. The best run to the nearest police station and return with the police. Else no one listens.
Old 18th August 2010, 09:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best run to the nearest police station and return with the police. Else no one listens.
Very true Ampere sir; now days I feel hit & run into police station helps a lot than stopping & helping the victim. But how does one find out where's the nearest police station & that too when travelling through unknown places. Asking the next toll booth? But the victim shouldn't reach the police station first.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thats very sad to hear. People on the road are carrying stove on their heads as they get burnt up quickly.

Without any botheration of who was guilty they started beating by putting the blame on them.

Good to hear that there was no injury to your cousin or his wife. Hope the injuries of beaten up are minimal.

Though I donot trust any driver for car riding, I myself drive if in a car OR take a volvo OR a train. I dont want to rely on some one elses driving for my car for such journeys.

However, such an incident can happen with anyone, as people cross lanes without seeing left right behind.

Lesson learned: to move away from such a situation.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:18   #20
BHPian

Absolutely shocking!! I am glad that your cousin took the sensible way out and so it didnt get worse.

Its really sad that being humane and gentlemanly actually works against you now a days. Experiences like these will change you forever. Just reading it is giving me the shivers, I just cant imagine how your cousin must have felt.

Its better to avoid night driving in unfamiliar roads, and even if you do, be extra cautious and always expect the worst.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this. If you still want to take action, lodge an assualt complaint in the police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
There is a thread on this site about the "must Takes" in a long drive. A baseball bat/stick/rod features in this list and now you know why. I don't advocate violence, but at times, it is handy to keep something at hand that one can use in self defence.
What nonsense. You think 2 people can take a group of thugs, 20 of them with baseball bats? Thats a sure shot suicide attempt. Try this and you'll wind up half dead in a hospital (if you are lucky). Also expect you car and belongings to be burnt to a crisp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Zennist, though I'm against hit and run, this is a perfect recipe for disaster.
Late night, micra vs innova, lady in micra and goons in innova.
Why the hell did he stop?
The innova couldn't have chased you. Ideally speaking, in such cases, move to the nearest village and lodge an FIR.
Then come back with the police to the accident spot.
Anyway, you people are safe.
+1 to that. No one gets hurt. Also pays to have some connections in case things turn ugly or cops get greedy.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:44   #22
BHPian

It happens all the time, I am really glad that all three reached home in one piece and so with the people in the Innova. I faced a similar incident in whitefield Bangalore, I was turning right at break in the median-showed my blinkers and stuck out my hand, I was at snail's pace-saw an oncoming car-so stopped before the turn and from no where a biker came straight and hit my right front door. The biker was apologetic but the crowd that gathered on realising i do not know the local language, wanted to physically assault me and my wife-the biker was telling them that it was his fault-i understand Kannada well but cannot speak fluently.
Its just that I am 6' 3'' and well built which kept them at bay.
I then realised the situation was growing ugly so i took my driving licence which still has my photo in my Army Uniform, that stopped in their tract and they left me alone.
My question to all BHPians "Are we aliens in our own country just because we do not speak the local language?"- Col J H Mayne
Old 18th August 2010, 11:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

One question, why did your brother not file a FIR in the police station. He was assaulted, right?
Old 18th August 2010, 11:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One question, why did your brother not file a FIR in the police station. He was assaulted, right?

FIR is going to open up another avenue for Police to extract more money from his brother. I am yet to see any good and honest Indian policeman - and believe me, I have had my fair share of experiences with them.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Very sad but i guess this is a bad side of driving long distance which we need to accept and this can happen anywhere.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
My question to all BHPians "Are we aliens in our own country just because we do not speak the local language?"- Col J H Mayne
Sir, the answer to your question is a sad one.

Once i was nearly pushed off the road by an SX4. When i pulled up next to him, i asked him in Hindi if his indicators were working properly. He said "I dont know your Hindi". Well, he perfectly understood what i said next in Hindi though.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:50   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Tell the lady that one off incident shouldn't deter her from getting back on the roads again. Law and order in India has deteriorated so much that I've even seen people getting assaulted in trains, with RPF getting in to action. I've read about so many cases in which Army people themselves (not taking a dig at them, but I always consider the army to be the best institution in India), have misbehaved with women in trains, forcefully occupied berths, even thrown civilians who questioned them out of running trains.
I was once threatened by taxi drivers in Mumbai in broad daylight.
This throws open a perfect opportunity to learn. Think how you can save your skin the next time a similar or worse condition presents itself!

I don't want to list out mistakes on your part. You may have done a lot of introspection as to what went wrong. Makes you tougher on the road now!
Keep enjoying the roads!
Old 18th August 2010, 12:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
It is a better option to call 108 than 100 as it is more responsive and easy to get through for all emergency services especially in states where EMRI is operational.

But calling 108 means the FIR would registered autmoatically on the name of the persons who were involved in the accident, which mean the vehicles cannot be released without an RTO checking them which means you are technically stranded there!

Once I was in this Volvo from Pune to Hyd and a biker dashed into it (with four people on it) some where near Karnataka border, the local people called 108 and sent him in the ambulance ?(the rest three escaped unhurt) and our Volvo driver stopped and we started calling police on 100.

And we got stranded for close to 7 hours until a new bus was sent from Pune again as this bus was confiscated, even a local political leader's assurance could not help! The SI says he would lose his job if he lets the vehicle go!!

So more often than not law makes you suffer more than it should help you!!

Please correct me if I am wrong about the 108 thing!!
Old 18th August 2010, 13:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
FIR is going to open up another avenue for Police to extract more money from his brother. I am yet to see any good and honest Indian policeman - and believe me, I have had my fair share of experiences with them.
Every single word is true in this statement. He's already lost 7K, then the repair charges, on top of these, the police will also take money. And who knows, with the kind of people gathered there, the case altogether might turn against him if some one claims that they are an eyewitness and the fault is on my brothers side. so to keep the loss minimal, i think its best to take it as a learning experience (very costly though!)

Quote:
Tell the lady that one off incident shouldn't deter her from getting back on the roads again.
I think its the shock of seeing her hubby getting thrashed prompted her to say so. It may take time, but hopefully she may be willing for another trip. But definitely not in the night :-)

Quote:
I don't want to list out mistakes on your part. You may have done a lot of introspection as to what went wrong. Makes you tougher on the road now!
Keep enjoying the roads!
If you do find some, list them down. If he reads its he may be offended, but i wont be. if there are valid points, i can point out to him later. It would be beneficial for all. (TBHP is my bible. though i have less than 50 posts in my name, i am an active member since 2006 ) For one, i know that it being a new car they werent overspeeding. even if the driver tried to, he would've insisted to keep it slow.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling this accident would not have happened if your brother, and not the hired driver was at the wheel. Those fellows have a rather aggressive driving style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks