Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 14:55   #46
BHPian

re: How safe are our highways?

Unfortunate Accident Vishwas. Good thing no one got injured seriously. It will take a bit of time to get over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I totally agree with you here The lorry driver is not at fault. There was a median in the divider.
There was a steering wheel in his hands.
He turned the steering wheel and the lorry started crossing the road.
It was all the steering wheel and medians fault, and also the fault of the car driver.
Instead of braking why did he not press the jump button and jump over the lorry? What kind of car drivers we have here.
First they do not jump over lorries, and then they blame the lorry driver for the fault of the median and steering wheel.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Vishwas,

I am sorry for you and your family about this very bad experience. It should have been an horrifying emotionally.

The airbags in cars dont get inflated till the sensors get activated. It depends on where the sensors are located.

By the way, as per the traffic law, "who ever hits the rear of vehicle in front is at fault" i guess.

They say this & also argue that "the guy behind was not maintaining a healthy distance, hence the accident"

I wish you get the strength to put this behind fast and carry on. There is so much in life otherwise.
Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

As per traffic law, every vehicle should possess valid documents. In my case, I had every document required for my car. The truck driver didn't. The truck driver was supposed to indicate/signal before changing a lane or making a turn. He didn't.

Distance wise, I wasn't anywhere close to the truck.

I have come to terms with this episode. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
I feel very sorry about the incident. I came to this thread to say about how unsafe our highways are and your article just explained it. Sometimes its better to show off the anger by forgetting all those rules of engagement 'cos in india we still dont know the value of a life and we take so many chances everyday.

The worst part is we never have the habit of admitting the mistake, sometimes when you see people's reaction even after their mistake it surprises about how they were able to react instantly with such false face. About the police station, i can just feel like Im there when i read the article. With the language barrier and in an unknown territory, man it makes you feel like killing everyone around you.

I wish to see you getting out of it soon, which is surely a big challenge, but thats the only option.
Thanks so much for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Its an unfortunate incident. But I really cant sympathize with you cause you went on an outrage and assaulted the lorry driver which also brings yourself down to his level. I feel sorry for your relatives and family none the less. You ought to realise that you're just darn lucky that the locals did not turn into a mob and attack you and your family there. What do you think you could have done if things went ugly? Do you think you would have been able to defend yourself and your family? What you did was never the wisest thing that someone should do in such a situation.
Imagine what would have happened if the owner of the lorry got the lorry driver admitted in a hospital and gave a complaint and statement to the cops that you had beaten him up resulting in injuries and his hospitalization? You would have been running around courts and would have had jail time by now.
Its a known fact that lorry owners and cops have an unholy relationship and its better not to try and confront them in such a way.
And had you honked before overtaking the lorry? You might say that the lorry driver should have looked in his RVM before doing the maneuver and that he should have signaled. Yes he should have done that, But this is India and you should always anticipate that its a retard or illiterate who's behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle most of the time and you can never be sure what tactic they will show up. You can never be too safe on the road.
And is 110kmph on a highway legal? As far as my knowledge goes its 80kmph max on the NH throughout Tamil Nadu which is further restricted to 40kmph when passing through inhabited areas and in the school zones its 30 kmph. Had you been doing 80kmph, none of this would have happened as your hard braking would not have got the wheels to a lock up and skid.
And like somebody already said, The lorry people have got the advantage here as you have hit from behind, Plus they can easily get some witnesses to testify against you in court as they are probably locals and you have no connections there.
You should know that you were also a contributor to the accident here.
And we have the beautiful system like we have in place, Because everyone is busy running after his rights and needs but least bothered about his duties. How many of us in here really make it a point and go caste a vote in the general elections? How many of us raise a voice against an unfair thing which happens before our very own eyes, but we actually need not care for, since it might not seem to matter us directly? How many people pay their taxes honestly. How many people bribe the system to get an easy way out. My friend we all are responsible to a great extent for the unfair things happening around us because at some point of time we all failed and keep failing to do something for the country.
And I'm not saying all this to offend you. I just say what I feel straight- In the face. You may like me or might feel like punching me, But I still will have my word up.
I think I have admitted to my mistake of raising my hand. Kindly read the entire article before judging me. I have been honest to the bone and frankly I don’t deserve to be told that I can’t be sympathized with. I don’t need sympathy. If anything, I deserved to be empathized with.
I don’t think you’ve read the article. Please read it carefully. I wasn’t the one overtaking the truck. I stuck to one lane and the truck driver was the one who changed lanes without signalling. How would this be my mistake? It’s very easy to come down hard on someone. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment. One would have to be paranoid to be uber cautious each time a vehicle passes by.
You are correct. 110KPH isn’t legal. But it’s not illegal either. But in this case it wasn’t speed that mattered. It was the distance and time which mattered. Frankly if you saw the skid marks you would realize I barely had any time or distance to brake. All because he swerved without warning.
Yes, I am also responsible for the accident. My mistake was travelling with family to a different part of the country for the weekend to visit a temple.
The answer to all your questions is a big fat yes. I am always the one to fight when someone jumps the queue or when the Autorikshaw demands excess fare. I am the first one in my friends’ circle who got my voters ID when I turned 18. And I have voted in all the elections so far. I was the first in my friends’ circle to buy a helmet half an hour after I bought my bike. I spent my 25th birthday shuttling between Bowring hospital and Ashoknagar Police station to save a friend’s friend’s backside because she was involved in an accident when an Autorikshaw rammed into her in the middle of the night. Oh and it wasn’t her fault because the Autorikshaw jumped the signal and rammed into her. She wasn’t from Bangalore and I was the only localite my friend knew. So I am not responsible for this mess, my dear friend. I am the odd one out. And I am not proud of it. Because I get into trouble for standing up for what’s right. So yes, I haven’t failed so far and I never will.
You are entitled to say what you think is right. But what is not right is that you must not judge people without knowing them. I may have given you the impression that I keep punching people around but the truth is, I don’t. I was honest enough to admit I raised my hand. I could have easily made myself look completely innocent, but I didn’t. I could have manipulated the entire incident to make it look like I wasn’t at fault completely, but I didn’t. You have a right to have an opinion. So you can relax, my dear friend. I will not punch you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
@vishwas: Really sorry to hear that - had goose pimples imagining the incidence. If its' any consolation - you did extremely well!

The lorry taking a U-turn from the left-lane has happened to me on Mumbai-Nasik-Agra highway, in the middle of the night. It wasn't even a median, just a section with no dividers. Bad memory.
Haha some people don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
vishwasvr - Thank your lucky stars that you are safe.
This may sound bad - but traffic laws state you are at fault for the accident as you have hit the lorry from behind (as far as i can deduce from the pictures).
The lorry is at fault for - 1. not having a rearguard 2. for taking u turn illegally.
On top of everything - those nonsense cops take the crown for their devilish attitude. How can someone stroll around doing nothing when a child is at excruciating pain? what has become of humanity?
Thanks, but I can't say more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi Vishwarv,
How similar accidents could be!!!!!
I was on my way to Vaillankanni from madras on the ECR(2001) when a sand laden lorry got in from a lane and immeditely took a right turn inspite of me sounding my horn ,the fault also lay on me that i was doing 120+ in my M800..we all survived and I learnt my lesson that day.I never cross 100 even now in 4 laned highways in my scorpio.After the incident the lorry driver and cleaner vanished.I picked up two stones broke both his windshield and continued.
None of us were hurt even and i could continue on my pilgrimage...sheer grace of god.Car suffered minor damages .
Sorry to note that your folks got injured and i can empathise with you .
But, this incident will make you a better and safe driver, mark my words.

Happy New year and thank God for surviving .
cheers
Thanks a lot Pradeep. Wish you a very Happy New Year too!

Quote:
I totally agree with you here The lorry driver is not at fault. There was a median in the divider.
It was all the steering wheel and medians fault, and also the fault of the car driver.
Instead of braking why did he not press the jump button and jump over the lorry? What kind of car drivers we have here.
First they do not jump over lorries, and then they blame the lorry driver for the fault of the median and steering wheel.
Absolutely. The fault lies with me. You are absolutely correct. Thank you very much. Oh so you always press the "jump button"? Nice feature to avoid traffic isn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Unfortunate Accident Vishwas. Good thing no one got injured seriously. It will take a bit of time to get over.

Thanks KRRaj. Yes I am feeling a lot better now. I am just hoping things will change.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th December 2010 at 23:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multple posts. Thanks!
Old 29th December 2010, 17:53   #48
BHPian

Vishwas, I totally sympathize with you mate and am glad that no one received any life threatening injury. The driver & the cop(s) deserve punishment and they will get what's due. But you gotta realize that this is India and you can't expect people to do the right thing, be that anything. One's gotta take real care of oneself when on the road. And by not doing this you're at fault too.

Driving at 100+ speeds on a 2 lane road with a divider coming up and a truck (or any vehicle) around is a strict no no. What if it was a scooter/bike and you'd collided with it?

Hope you're able to put this accident behind you quickly and also that you take the lesson with you.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:54   #49
BHPian

I'm sorry for the error, I was pretty close to the truck.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:15   #50
BHPian

Vishwas,

I suggest that you try and get this out of your mind ASAP. I know its quite difficult.

By the way, whats happening now? Is the insurance survey done ?

Also , i was just wondering if the car can be got back to perfect shape and handling as before. It should be very difficult to see the car like this. i get really upset seeing cars in such mess.

Please keep posting on the progress.

Please PM me if you think i could be of some help.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:13   #51
Team-BHP Support

Tough experience vishwas, but don't let it kill your faith in your driving. Be more careful next time, and getting into a brawl on-road is best avoided. Road-rage can get ridiculously dangerous in an instant.

Just yesterday, there was a TOI report of a youth getting shot (and killed) just because he carelessly opened his car-door that banged into a couple guys walking by. Never, never get into a brawl, esp. when you have family with you.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
I don’t think you’ve read the article. Please read it carefully. I wasn’t the one overtaking the truck. I stuck to one lane and the truck driver was the one who changed lanes without signalling. How would this be my mistake?
If you were not "overtaking", what were you doing on the right side of the truck? It is always a thumb rule that one should honk before running ahead (I am not using the word "overtaking" here) of a vehicle running parallel to you. You should take into account that the Trucks had damn small mirrors, and their coverage area is too little. Small vehicles get invisible in the Truck's mirror as you get close.

Had you honked, the trucker would've definitely come into senses. I agree that the trucker should've signalled, but I would not completely blame him since you too have not signalled your presence!

Quote:
You are correct. 110KPH isn’t legal. But it’s not illegal either.
If it isn't illegal, what is it called? It is definitely ILLEGAL boss!

Quote:
But in this case it wasn’t speed that mattered. It was the distance and time which mattered.
The distance and time mattered because of your speed. Had your speed been 80, you would've managed to stop in lesser distance, in lesser time.

To be plain: Both are at fault. Thank your stars that the trucker did not bother filing an offence against you for manhandling the driver. Like you said, This is India.
Old 29th December 2010, 22:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
See like I already said I say things straight and I do get bombarded a lot for being like that. And I can understand the reason for you being sarcastic and nuking me. And yes its a perfect hit. Maybe I really do deserve it. Let it be, I get the point.
But please try to understand what I am trying to put across for a second if you may. How can one assume people like truck drivers to be educated and so much informed to drive sensibly and appropriately? They are overworked, on drugs and half asleep on the run most of the time. They are a zillion miles away from being acceptable road users. And with the things we have in place, I dont see anything changing in the near future. Safety is non-existent on the road in our nation. So when things are like this the only thing we can do is to be extra cautious on the road. I myself lost 29 close friends, relatives and kin on the roads over the last 15 years. Its a very short span of time for that to happen and except for two people dying in a single accident, The rest were victims in 27 different incidents. And I really cant account how many are left maimed.
vishwasvr had a really unfortunate experience, And I darn well should have been a little considerate with my use of words back there when he was down and in such a state of mind. I apologize for that. But you should also know that I never said the lorry driver did right and was not at fault, Anyone knows he was the major contributor and should have indicated he was about to make the turn. vishwasvr already said what the lorry driver did wrong and I too totally agree with that and I also did not think that it was important that I also corroborated that, Cause thats an obvious fact and crystal clear. But I felt he did not take into consideration his contributory factor. I hope you understand how trucks make a turn around a median. Almost everywhere on a two lane(Four Lane when both sides are put into consideration) highway the medians are too small to let the truck take a U-turn by sticking to the right lane. They do it by keeping to the left lane and then taking the turn by going across the right lane which is always dangerous. And yes big mistake from the truckie for not signalling. But do you think he might have done that on purpose? It is for sure his negligence and could have been a grave one if the car was not an Octy.
And I said things from a legal point of view. I dont support the truckie nor can I say vishwasvr was totally not at fault. And the way I looked at things is exactly how they examine a case at a claims tribunal to go into judgement. They always look at how and whether any of the people who were involved in the accident contributed towards the accident, and if they did what was the extent of their individual contributions and how the accident could have been averted if any of the people had done something which they could have done naturally to avoid it. And the verdict is arrived at based on those factors.
I had to say what I did because I see a lot of people believing that speed limits are non-existent on highways. The government has kept the speed limits at such seemingly ridiculous figures (A 50kmph Max speed limit that is common and shared equally for a 100cc bike and 1000cc Superbike sounds ridculous, No doubt.) because they very well know that idiots like the lorry drivers are present on all the highways across the land and you cant go and make them drive like Englishmen overnight. Till things become more civilized on the roads in our nation we have to be extremely cautious on the highways.
Old 29th December 2010, 22:52   #54
BHPian

So am I supposed to stick to the left lane and cruise at say 100kmph? I remember almost every stretch of the highway which had sign boards that read "slower vehicles should stick to the left lane". I was at a higher speed, hence had to stick to the right lane. As far as I am concerned, this is the right thing to do.

The reason why he stopped midway was because I kept honking and he realized he was in my way and that's why the impact was so severe. Had he continued his speed, the impact may not have been this severe.

It seems like I have to give up being honest and probably have to blatantly lie and blame someone else completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
If you were not "overtaking", what were you doing on the right side of the truck? It is always a thumb rule that one should honk before running ahead (I am not using the word "overtaking" here) of a vehicle running parallel to you. You should take into account that the Trucks had damn small mirrors, and their coverage area is too little. Small vehicles get invisible in the Truck's mirror as you get close.

Had you honked, the trucker would've definitely come into senses. I agree that the trucker should've signalled, but I would not completely blame him since you too have not signalled your presence!

If it isn't illegal, what is it called? It is definitely ILLEGAL boss!

The distance and time mattered because of your speed. Had your speed been 80, you would've managed to stop in lesser distance, in lesser time.

To be plain: Both are at fault. Thank your stars that the trucker did not bother filing an offence against you for manhandling the driver. Like you said, This is India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Vishwas,

I suggest that you try and get this out of your mind ASAP. I know its quite difficult.

By the way, whats happening now? Is the insurance survey done ?

Also , i was just wondering if the car can be got back to perfect shape and handling as before. It should be very difficult to see the car like this. i get really upset seeing cars in such mess.

Please keep posting on the progress.

Please PM me if you think i could be of some help.
Yes Nandans2005, I am doing ok now. Just devastated that I was the one who did this to my dad's favourite car. He looked after it like it was his child. I couldn't bring myself to even look at his reaction when he arrived at the police station to get it released.

Yes, the engine was running normally. I had to park the car to the left of the road and the engine sounded normal.

Sure will do. Many thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tough experience vishwas, but don't let it kill your faith in your driving. Be more careful next time, and getting into a brawl on-road is best avoided. Road-rage can get ridiculously dangerous in an instant.

Just yesterday, there was a TOI report of a youth getting shot (and killed) just because he carelessly opened his car-door that banged into a couple guys walking by. Never, never get into a brawl, esp. when you have family with you.
Thanks buddy. I just lost it at that point. I usually feel like an old man. I don't have the energy to keep abusing or cursing rash drivers. I just let it be but at that moment I completely lost it.

Yes I read that. I'll try to search for this well written article about road rage in India. Will send it when I find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Vishwas, I totally sympathize with you mate and am glad that no one received any life threatening injury. The driver & the cop(s) deserve punishment and they will get what's due. But you gotta realize that this is India and you can't expect people to do the right thing, be that anything. One's gotta take real care of oneself when on the road. And by not doing this you're at fault too.

Driving at 100+ speeds on a 2 lane road with a divider coming up and a truck (or any vehicle) around is a strict no no. What if it was a scooter/bike and you'd collided with it?

Hope you're able to put this accident behind you quickly and also that you take the lesson with you.
Well thanks buddy. Finally after years of wearing a seatbelt, it finally pays off! Lol and my uncle will never travel in a car without wearing a seatbelt henceforth!

Absolutely. I guess its just bad luck this time. Yes, I've come to terms with this incident. Thanks a lot for the support.
Attached Thumbnails
How safe are our highways?-24122010147.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 30th December 2010 at 01:04. Reason: You have already been suggested once to use multi quote. Please desist from making these back to back posts. Merged.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have admitted to my mistake of raising my hand. Kindly read the entire article before judging me. I have been honest to the bone and frankly I don’t deserve to be told that I can’t be sympathized with. I don’t need sympathy. If anything, I deserved to be empathized with.
I don’t think you’ve read the article. Please read it carefully. I wasn’t the one overtaking the truck. I stuck to one lane and the truck driver was the one who changed lanes without signalling. How would this be my mistake? It’s very easy to come down hard on someone. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment. One would have to be paranoid to be uber cautious each time a vehicle passes by.
You are correct. 110KPH isn’t legal. But it’s not illegal either. But in this case it wasn’t speed that mattered. It was the distance and time which mattered. Frankly if you saw the skid marks you would realize I barely had any time or distance to brake. All because he swerved without warning.
Yes, I am also responsible for the accident. My mistake was travelling with family to a different part of the country for the weekend to visit a temple.
The answer to all your questions is a big fat yes. I am always the one to fight when someone jumps the queue or when the Autorikshaw demands excess fare. I am the first one in my friends’ circle who got my voters ID when I turned 18. And I have voted in all the elections so far. I was the first in my friends’ circle to buy a helmet half an hour after I bought my bike. I spent my 25th birthday shuttling between Bowring hospital and Ashoknagar Police station to save a friend’s friend’s backside because she was involved in an accident when an Autorikshaw rammed into her in the middle of the night. Oh and it wasn’t her fault because the Autorikshaw jumped the signal and rammed into her. She wasn’t from Bangalore and I was the only localite my friend knew. So I am not responsible for this mess, my dear friend. I am the odd one out. And I am not proud of it. Because I get into trouble for standing up for what’s right. So yes, I haven’t failed so far and I never will.
You are entitled to say what you think is right. But what is not right is that you must not judge people without knowing them. I may have given you the impression that I keep punching people around but the truth is, I don’t. I was honest enough to admit I raised my hand. I could have easily made myself look completely innocent, but I didn’t. I could have manipulated the entire incident to make it look like I wasn’t at fault completely, but I didn’t. You have a right to have an opinion. So you can relax, my dear friend. I will not punch you.
First of all I apologize for being harsh with you which I know I've been. I should have been a little less 'by the book' when you were feeling down with your car damaged like that. Its my line of work that makes me to react like that. Sorry again. And I was really disturbed by the fact that you went ahead and assaulted the Truckie, compromising on your own and your family's safety. From your post I made out that you never took that risk factor into account ever.
I've seen a lot of incidents of road rage going around over the years and things are escalating alarmingly.Years back I've been on the receiving end as well when the driver of an interstate KSRTC bus got pissed with the traffic jam on the Bangalore Mysore highway and decided to move ahead by bumping my puny old 800 onto the foot path. He broke my rear bumper along with the tail lights and there was some damage to the front bumper as well. I chased and caught up with him when the traffic opened and once I was level with him on his right, my friend in the passenger seat shouted at him to stop else we are going to call the police. You know what he did?, He gave him a smile and shoved us off the road on to the right denting our car on the left side as well. That was my lesson and I've never ever confronted any guy on the road again, Its way too dangerous is what I've learnt. Even the cops at the next junction did not bother to help us back then since we were not locals or from that state.
And I have read your post clearly, I once again went through it to make sure I did not miss something.
And Vishwas, I appreciate the fact that you are a responsible person and really have more respect for you after learning that you are someone who actually does something for the society at large.
But still you should know that you do have a contributory factor in your incident with the speed you were clocking and not taking into account that its a median and that the truckie might turn without indication. Haven't you noticed before that truckies and other commercial drivers behave like that without any warning?
Another thing is you might not have overtaken the truck at the time of the impact but if he did not make that turn, You would have overtook him in like 3 seconds at that speed and proximity as he was on the left and you were on the right. So you must have known that you were about to overtake him. And he might have not seen you at all and you had said the highway was deserted for 100 metres on either side. The truckie might have been reluctant to admit his fault as otherwise he would be held accountable for the incident and God knows if he has any insurance at all. If he has no insurance then the damages you had incurred will come out of his or the lorry owner's pocket if you go for a claim petition at court. So anyone in his situation will point the finger at you. And these kind of people know very well on how to fend for themselves when involved in such a situation.
One more thing, when the book says that the maximum speed is 80 Kmph-110 Kmph is 100 percent illegal. Just see what your counsel is going to say in court if at all you go for your claim petition. He will delete the 110Kmph speed in the story else you might be going home empty handed at verdict. Try to see where you erred, even if it is small. You might not get a second chance or next time to correct things.
"It seems like I have to give up being honest and probably have to blatantly lie and blame someone else completely." On that statement, I have nothing to say, Its your decision to make.
Once again sorry for making you miserable, Wont bother you ever again.

Last edited by jalex77 : 29th December 2010 at 23:38.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 00:29   #56
BHPian

Hello Vishwas,

First of all, glad that no one was hurt seriously and glad that you are all OK to report this incident here at Team BHP.

Although brawl is best avoided, I think you have handled yourself pretty well. Please dont think that I'm justifying you landing punches on the Lorry drivers face, But I'm glad maturity stepped in and you stopped. You were scared that something worse could have happened and you wanted to teach him a lesson. But as suggested by everyone else, you should've avoided it.

It is easy for most of us to sit behind the comforts of a laptop / desktop and recommend 'what you should have done' but facing it first hand with your loved one's (your car included) is totally different. Its hard to say how one reacts to such a situation but I must admit that you have done pretty well.

Last edited by azeemhafiz : 30th December 2010 at 00:31. Reason: Grammer
Old 30th December 2010, 01:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Baap re! Thank God you and your Family members are safe Vishwas. Its easy for me to say from here that a brawl can be avoided, although, sometimes even a rash overtaking manuver gets to me. Whether India or abroad, truckers do have a bigger and bader blind spot than anyone else. Overtaking these rigs should be done carefully let alone being close to them. Time is the best healer. Go on a vacation, seriously.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So am I supposed to stick to the left lane and cruise at say 100kmph? I remember almost every stretch of the highway which had sign boards that read "slower vehicles should stick to the left lane". I was at a higher speed, hence had to stick to the right lane. As far as I am concerned, this is the right thing to do.
You are supposed to stick to the left lane. Right lane is strictly for overtaking, and one is supposed to switch back to the left lane once done with overtaking. This is irrespective of your speed - and remember the Maximum permissible speed on Indian Highways is only 80 kmph.

The sign boards are to remind slower vehicles that they are required to compulsorily stick to the left lane - but that does not mean the faster vehicles are free to drive on the overtaking lane.

Quote:
The reason why he stopped midway was because I kept honking and he realized he was in my way and that's why the impact was so severe. Had he continued his speed, the impact may not have been this severe.
He did the right thing here. Your duty does not stop at honking - you are supposed to reduce your speed as well. Having been involved in a similar incident myself, I emphasise on this point - the driver's duty does not end at just honking, but also be prepared to stop. I know that one does not get so many reflexes in such situations, but one should be prepared for this. This is why one should be always doubly cautious while trying to overtake a huge vehicle - they have huge blind spots.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 10:55   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
and remember the Maximum permissible speed on Indian Highways is only 80 kmph.
Lots of divided roads have posted speed limit of 90kmph and not 80kmph.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Whole of last week I was in Kerala and man the roads are so narrow and they call it National Highway, namely NH212,NH220,NH47 etc. No respect for any vehicles. Even if they see a bus coming in front these guys try to overtake and squeeze between the vehicles at the last minute. They drive so dangerously that it is very difficult to predict what their next move is and adding to this all the curves are blind curves and they attempt the overtaking stunt at these blind curves itself.

Every time a vehicle used to pass me, I used just check my OVRMS if they are on the vehicle itself or flown off.
shishir_bn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed