Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 19:47   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
So, it is advisable to keep the child in a rear-facing seat as long as possible (till your child is too big/heavy for a child seat).

Thanks for the useful post jinojohnt.

If you find your child has outgrown the baby seat, it is time to switch to a booster seat.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
If you find your child has outgrown the baby seat, it is time to switch to a booster seat.
Yes, but try to get a bigger Child Seat before you go for a booster seat (because booster seats can only be used as forward-facing).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 6th April 2010 at 10:08.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:12   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

If I remember correctly, booster seat is for the child that almost but not quite is big enough for the adult seat belts. It may even use the adult belt.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:28   #169
Senior - BHPian

If a car has front passenger airbag (activated), is it better to put the booster seat in the front or back seat?
Old 7th April 2010, 17:13   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

You really must consult the manual for the specific seat to answer that question.

The thing with baby seats is that they put the child's head closer to the bag. This may well not be the case with a booster seat, and the bag may be safe to use.

As I remember, booster seats are little more than a thing like a cushion that raises the child's hight. Full child seats are not booster seats.

This <-- is what I think of when you say booster seat. While you're there, the whole Britax site might be useful to look at.

Edit: a useful overview -->here

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th April 2010 at 17:15.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
If a car has front passenger airbag (activated), is it better to put the booster seat in the front or back seat?
This is what I meant to ask - which of the following scenarios is better?
1. Booster seat in the back seat, child buckled with adult belt. No neck protection, because seatbelts restrict only the body, and not the head.
2. Booster seat in front passenger seat with activated airbag, child buckled with adult belt. Neck protection is available because of the airbag, but still there is a risk of child leaning forward and getting in the path of a deploying airbag.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

Saw this news in the papers two days back:
A couple from Technopark Trivandrum met with an accident while travelling along with their 1 year old kid in car, and the child died. The parents are in hospital with minor injuries.

All the more sad when I feel that this death could have been avoided with a mere 3000 Rs child seat.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 12th May 2010 at 13:43.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:54   #173
BHPian

My son is almost a year old.
I drive an Esteem VX 2001 however it doesn't have rear seat belts.

Can seat belts at the rear be retro fitted? Will they be long enough to hold a baby seat.

I am planning to get a child seat this weekend and any advice would be helpful
Old 14th August 2010, 02:16   #174

try the Graco seat for kid. I am planning to buy one myself . Be Safe ---- Keep safe
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:38   #175
BHPian

hi folks, i was searching for this kind of topic, i use a mothercare advance sp model front facing combination seat can seat from 9months to 12 years in a single seat with various options, till 4years you can use it as a 5 point seat belt type, from 4-9 the 3 point car seat belt can be used and after that the seat can be dismantled for a booster seat till 12-13 years.. my question is i am not able to fit the seats in my 2nd row seats of my scorpio refresh, where can i get the seatbelt extenders in india chennai please advice
Old 1st November 2010, 21:07   #176
BHPian

Guys,
Since i had seen Britax seats getting recommended here somewhere as infant/child car seats, so thought this might interest all those who have bought them
Britax Chaperon Car Seats Recalled - Parenting.com
Old 18th November 2010, 14:13   #177
BHPian

bump up the thread

I am looking to buy a car seat for my baby (0 months). There are two options I'm considering.

First one, I visited mothercare and found their in-house brand Seville, checkerboard model was good enough wrt to functionality and price. It is a combination, rear-facing till 9 months and then front-facing till 4 years. Has anyone else the same seat?

Second, the mee mee brand has a carrier cum rear facing seat. Since this only for infants, I guess it would become useless after a very short time, say 6-9 months.. but costs half of the first.

Any thoughts / advice from you guys is welcome. Specifically if someone had used any of the above and can chip-in with their experience, that would be fantastic and much appreciated.
Old 19th November 2010, 09:14   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I am looking to buy a car seat for my baby (0 months). There are two options I'm considering.

First one, I visited mother care and found their in-house brand Seville, checkerboard model was good enough wrt to functionality and price. It is a combination, rear-facing till 9 months and then front-facing till 4 years. Has anyone else the same seat?

Second, the mee mee brand has a carrier cum rear facing seat. Since this only for infants, I guess it would become useless after a very short time, say 6-9 months.. but costs half of the first.

Any thoughts / advice from you guys is welcome. Specifically if someone had used any of the above and can chip-in with their experience, that would be fantastic and much appreciated.
These are the options you usually get
1. 0-9 months - rear facing seat
2. 9months~4 years - front facing seats with 5 point seat belt
3. 4~9 years - seats without 5 point seat belt can be used directly coupled with the car seat belts
4. above 9 years - only bottom booster seats
The type of seats available in the market are you get
option 1. all the above said in separate - it will cost a bomb for your childs lifecycle
option 2. either get a combination of 1 & 2 in a single seat and after 4years u need to again buy a seat - a bit costly
option 3. or get a combination of 2,3,4 in a single seat- viable VFM option

I choose option 3 since for the first 9 months by baby didnt travel much except to the doc which ws 0.5 kms from my place to get the vacination shots

after 9 months both kids have been traveling a lot and i have bought both of them the identical brand so they do not fight for a different color
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-41584pby0gl__sx315_sy375_.jpg
Brand name- Mothercare
Model - Advance SP
Color - Black
Cost - Rs 5,500 approx about a year ago
There is a dito one from the same brand but with ferrari name tagging which costs 3,000 extra. so if you want to buy the black one stress on them to get the same... i had the same experience when i bought the 1st piece in 2008 it was available off the shelf and when i went back again in 2010 for my second kid they said its not available and they have stopped it and only the ferrari stuff is available, but i insisted i wanted only that specific model and i mailed their customer support head and got the same one after a month.
Hope this will answer your question
regards

Last edited by prithvi_seln : 19th November 2010 at 09:17.
prithvi_seln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 09:33   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

GenuineOptimist,

Go for Mothercare with your eyes closed. They conform to the highest of the British Standards (BS) which in many cases are even more stringent than the US ones.

They are of impeccable build quality, durable, with washable covers and will definitely outlive their intended purpose :-) In my opinion, given what they will safeguard, they are VFM a million times over!

I have both the Mothercare Advance SP as well as the Mothercare Express or Seville (bit unsure) for my 3 year old and 6 year old respectively.

Check out my Aveo pictures: you can see them both awaiting their respective inmates!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2078701
Old 19th November 2010, 16:17   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
since for the first 9 months by baby didnt travel much except to the doc which ws 0.5 kms from my place to get the vacination shots
Hi Prithvi,

thanks for your detailed answer. the hospital i've chosen is 20kms from my home so i think i would need a seat for the initial few months too. but you're right, the baby would travel only for vaccinations i guess.

i think i would go with mee mee rear facing and then buy the 9 months - 9 years front-facing one later. Please let me know your thoughts about this brand. the Mee Mee one can also be used as a carrier and rocker, so some extra advantages for an infant there.

thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks