Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 21:46   #211
BHPian

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Guys,

Anyone knows shops which sell child seats in Cochin or Thrissur?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2011, 22:46   #212
BHPian

In Bangalore, there is a new Chicco showroom which has opened in Indiranagar. Pretty good shop for all baby stuff, on the expensive side though. But so much better than Mothercare. I checked out a 0-18Kg seat - costs 8990, looked pretty decent with all the functions. I found this to be better than the Britax in terms of seating position.
Anyone have any experience with this seat?
Old 20th February 2011, 14:35   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I found this to be better than the Britax in terms of seating position.
Please bear in mind that our perception of comfort, etc, may not give the same results as the research and adherence to international standards of a long-established multinational company.

I'm not saying you are wrong in this instance, of course, nor that the companies never make mistakes --- just that we are no more engineers and safety experts than we are doctors or dentists, so we rely on professionals for this.

Problem number one with Mothercare: Imported goods being sold at the same prices as they are abroad.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:45   #214
BHPian

I went to motherstore and found a motherstore child seat for 6999rs.
It supports 9-18kg.
My daughter is exactly 1year and 1 month old.is this the best option i can get?

Motherstore executive advised me not to remove the child seat once its fixed.I have two cars and i thought of shuttling the child seat between two cars depending on the car availability..Please advise if i can do this and also many times i need to travel with 5 people and need to remove the child seat.
Any other options available in chennai apart from motherstore?
Old 17th March 2011, 22:40   #215
Team-BHP Support

Do you guys always strap in the kids?
Or is it based on distance and road you are travelling.

What if the distance is less than 1.5 kms of a median divided main road.
This is the kind of road most used when my daughter is visiting her grand parents.

It takes me 5 mins to install and another 5 mins to remove the child seat. The time it takes to cover this distance is also 5 minutes.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:01   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you guys always strap in the kids?
Or is it based on distance and road you are travelling.

What if the distance is less than 1.5 kms of a median divided main road.
This is the kind of road most used when my daughter is visiting her grand parents.

It takes me 5 mins to install and another 5 mins to remove the child seat. The time it takes to cover this distance is also 5 minutes.
Thanks for your reply.So far we have done short trips within city at a minimal speed.She was sitting in her mom's lap.
Since i am planning some long trips from here on.I felt that child seat is a must.

Mothercare executive told us that the plastic clip of the child seat might get broken if we try to remove and install it frequently(max 3 times).
Can it be removed and installed frequently?
Old 18th March 2011, 00:56   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, if it is that fragile --- buy something else. Fragility is not something you want in a child seat!

You should be able to fix/remove whenever you want.

No journey is too short, or too slow, for seat belts and child seat!
Old 18th March 2011, 01:22   #218
Senior - BHPian

@bblost, my seats are always attached. But if you need to remove them frequently, use the adult belt to hold it. Tethers are not necessary but provide some extra safety margin. One, she will be restrained and not move around in the car, second, she will learn that child seat is the only place for her in the car.

@rock18, not sure about the models available in india, but look for something that goes upto 40lb. that will serve you till she is able to use the adult seat belt (together with an adapter). And I suggest renting a bigger car when you travel with more than 5 people (child included)
Old 21st March 2011, 09:19   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Thanks for your reply.So far we have done short trips within city at a minimal speed.She was sitting in her mom's lap.
Since i am planning some long trips from here on.I felt that child seat is a must.

Mothercare executive told us that the plastic clip of the child seat might get broken if we try to remove and install it frequently(max 3 times).
Can it be removed and installed frequently?

Child Seats are for children and they have to be used the way they were designed too, for your information i use Mother care Advance SP seats for both of my kids and it was bought from mothercare in T.Nagar... and for sure the executive who attended to my call didn't have the proper training to attach the seat to my car... i learnt it from the catalog and pictures displayed. i had been using it for the past 3 years and i had been shuffling the seats between my car and my wife humpty number to times and the seats are fine.. as long as you install it correctly ... so dont worry about it...

Last edited by prithvi_seln : 21st March 2011 at 09:21.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:16   #220
BHPian

Guys,

Iam planning to buy the following child seat for my 8 month old baby girl. I request your suggestions and feedbacks.

Chicco Synthesis XT Plus Car Seat Asia in India - Shop at hushbabies.com

Thanks in advance
Old 21st March 2011, 13:56   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys,

Iam planning to buy the following child seat for my 8 month old baby girl. I request your suggestions and feedbacks.

Thanks in advance
This one looks fine. However, unless you intend to reuse this seat later or pass it on to someone who will use it, you could consider other seats which seat kids upto a higher age (or more weight), so that it can be used by her for longer. She may also end up having some attchment for her throne!
Only my 2 cents worth; inherently VFM thinking!
Old 21st March 2011, 14:23   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys,

Thanks in advance
I would rather say, try out the Proxima model from Chicco. You can check it out at their online store. The proxima can accommodate from 0 - 18 kgs (up to 4 years in age) and costs 9K. The one that you have selected wont last more than 8 months.
I myself bought the proxima and have been quite happy with it.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:12   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This one looks fine. However, unless you intend to reuse this seat later or pass it on to someone who will use it, you could consider other seats which seat kids upto a higher age (or more weight), so that it can be used by her for longer. She may also end up having some attchment for her throne!
Only my 2 cents worth; inherently VFM thinking!
Thanks selfdrive, for you feedback. Iam looking for the Proxima model so that same seat can be used till she weigh upto 18Kgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
I would rather say, try out the Proxima model from Chicco. You can check it out at their online store. The proxima can accommodate from 0 - 18 kgs (up to 4 years in age) and costs 9K. The one that you have selected wont last more than 8 months.
I myself bought the proxima and have been quite happy with it.
Thanks Vq, Iam now looking for Proxima model. But it seems its out of stock now. Can it be securely fixed to the rear seats of MS swift?
Old 21st March 2011, 20:49   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Frankly, if it is that fragile --- buy something else. Fragility is not something you want in a child seat!

You should be able to fix/remove whenever you want.

No journey is too short, or too slow, for seat belts and child seat!
Thank you.Only other option available is Britax.

[quote=vivekiny2k;
@rock18, not sure about the models available in india, but look for something that goes upto 40lb. that will serve you till she is able to use the adult seat belt (together with an adapter). And I suggest renting a bigger car when you travel with more than 5 people (child included)[/quote]
Thank you.I will try to look for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
Child Seats are for children and they have to be used the way they were designed too, for your information i use Mother care Advance SP seats for both of my kids and it was bought from mothercare in T.Nagar... and for sure the executive who attended to my call didn't have the proper training to attach the seat to my car... i learnt it from the catalog and pictures displayed. i had been using it for the past 3 years and i had been shuffling the seats between my car and my wife humpty number to times and the seats are fine.. as long as you install it correctly ... so dont worry about it...
Thanks, that gives me some confidence.How much did it cost you?
Old 21st March 2011, 20:56   #225
BHPian

I bought a child seat exactly when my daughter was 7 months old and she is now nearing 15 months.

For some reason whenever I make her sit in it, I cant hear the ICE!

She just refuses to sit in it from day one and cries the entire time. Seriously guys, is there a plan you need to devise to get it into them?

I do not like to drive with her not strapped in! Any help would be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks