Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 17:57   #391
BHPian

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Dear All,

I would need a booster seat for my 4 yrs old immediately. Preferably used one if possible in chennai. What are the options available? Also please let me know the shops sell new ones in and around south chennai.

Thanks,
R
I got a high back booster seat (Used) for 3k through olx classifieds. Looks almost new. http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=6880&s=077HHA

I hope it serves the purpose

Thanks all.
R
Old 16th January 2013, 00:21   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
I got a high back booster seat (Used) for 3k through olx classifieds. Looks almost new.

I hope it serves the purpose
Check the age of the seat from the manufacturer's web-site (go and try registering). Baby seats from good manufacturers have a life of about 5 years, post which they should be discarded. You might want to check the usability of the item you are purchasing, there would be an expiration date stamped somewhere. Everywhere on web, I don't see any reputed site advising on getting a used seat. Just check few of these...

babycenter.com

about.com

Plus, when it is about your baby, I don't think price does matter (also consider cost of your car!). I've invested in the best I could have got in India after scourging through all the discussion here.. a seat which can be used rear-facing till my daughter is grown up a bit and then forward facing.

Britex seat at Shoppers Stop

The MRP of this seat is 22.99k INR which owing to Shoppers Stop sale is being offered at 16.09k (both online and in-store). I checked the item in-store and then purchased online since I got additional 15% off on the item by using coupon codes that are available, final price being 13.68k. Compared to the then (2007) cost of my Scorpio, it's just about 2% which I don't think is too much. Isn't it?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:05   #393
BHPian

Has anyone had any experience with combination car seats? I'm talking about the ones that can be used as rearward facing with inserts and then after the baby reaches 9kg, can be flipped around and used as a forward facing seat. There are quite a few of them in the market now in India, manufactured by Chicco, Fisher Price, Britax(Mothercare) etc.

I read somewhere that these are good for convenience, i.e they are long serving and forever in the car. However some internet sources claim a dedicated rearward facing and then moving to a forward facing is the safest way to go. Any opinions?
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:22   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Has anyone had any experience with combination car seats? I'm talking about the ones that can be used as rearward facing with inserts and then after the baby reaches 9kg, can be flipped around and used as a forward facing seat. There are quite a few of them in the market now in India, manufactured by Chicco, Fisher Price, Britax(Mothercare) etc.

I read somewhere that these are good for convenience, i.e they are long serving and forever in the car. However some internet sources claim a dedicated rearward facing and then moving to a forward facing is the safest way to go. Any opinions?
I have a Chicco seat and its supposed to work the way you describe it. From what i have been able to understand, the main reason for having it facing the rear until the child is 9KG is because in the beginning that the neck of the child isnt completely stable ( in the early few months) and under sudden breaking would mean him being thrown forward, possibly spraining his neck and putting pressure on him through the belt. By the time the child is 9 kgs he/she would be much more stable and physically stronger.

When its facing the rear, even if you break hard he/she would be much safer as they would be supported by the back of the seat.

Again, this is my understanding and i am not a doctor but from whatever i have read and heard it made sense.

Last edited by sammyboy : 22nd January 2013 at 19:26.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:08   #395
Senior - BHPian

Any one is using Booster seats for your Kids.
I am looking for a Booster Seat for my son.
Please share some URLs to check the models.
I have seen some in FlipKart and eBay, But I am not sure on its reliability.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:41   #396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Any one is using Booster seats for your Kids.
I am looking for a Booster Seat for my son.
Please share some URLs to check the models.
I have seen some in FlipKart and eBay, But I am not sure on its reliability.
I had this for my girl while in India:
http://www.shoppersstop.com/cat-Kids...-Pink-262.html

The one below also looks like a good option.
http://www.shoppersstop.com/cat-Kids...-Seat-262.html
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:55   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
From what i have been able to understand, the main reason for having it facing the rear until the child is 9KG is because in the beginning that the neck of the child isnt completely stable ( in the early few months) and under sudden breaking would mean him being thrown forward, possibly spraining his neck and putting pressure on him through the belt. By the time the child is 9 kgs he/she would be much more stable and physically stronger.
@sammyboy, i get the reasons behind forward/rearward facing seat. What I'm asking is how is the combination seat (the one seat that can be used both rearward and forward facing) vis a vis purchasing two seats, first a rearward facing seat, then a forward facing seat? Are there any safety drawbacks for the combination seat?
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:23   #398
BHPian

Quote:
@sammyboy, i get the reasons behind forward/rearward facing seat. What I'm asking is how is the combination seat (the one seat that can be used both rearward and forward facing) vis a vis purchasing two seats, first a rearward facing seat, then a forward facing seat? Are there any safety drawbacks for the combination seat?
Reswaran,

I have been now using the seat (the link for which Iv'e posted in my earlier post) and my 4 months' daughter is quite comfortable in it, though sometimes she starts crying for other reasons, most of the time she is sleeping. And yes, I'm using it as a rear-facing as of now. I have done a detailed analysis of the seats available in India based on various links posted in this thread plus independently on the Internet. As long as the combination seats comply to safety and security regulations (mostly for US & UK), they're good. And then combination seats save you some money rather than going for two separate seats, one of which you'll have to discard after 5-6 months of usage.
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:08   #399
BHPian

Quote:

I have the combination seat from graco and it is our second seat as this seat can be only used from 3 months onward as rear facing. Till three months either you have to use infant seats or not travel in car till they are three months old. Being from a doctor family cannot recommend to travel holding in your hands your precious baby who in event of accident will fly like a bullet from your hand- GOD forbid. My daughter outgrew her infant car seat at 9 months due to height limit and I bought her this convertible car seat from delhi and immediately had to travel 500 Kms in car and my daughter slept and played in her seat all the way. Money well spent. This seat we will use rear facing till 2 years then front facing till 5-6 years. Invest in a good quality car seat and you will not be dissapointed ! A friendly advice from your team bhp doctor. Drive Safe.
drchernish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:26   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my bad, i misunderstood. The seat I have has proper latches (if i may call them that) to fit it both sides. I had the guy give me the demo for both and it seemed pretty safe either ways. Its just the seat belt that goes through the seat and acts as an extension and if the seat is well designed, you shouldnt need more than 1 seat.

Regarding what the doc mentioned, the seat i have has the infant seat on it too, so you use it until the child grows up enough to be able to sit on the main seat. Its like a coushin placed on the seat and allows the child to fit in and keeps him/her snug. Been using it since my son turned about 3 months old (avoided taking him out until he turned 3 months) and he is still comfortably using the add on. He will turn 8 months next month and has been very comfortable using it. We always take him in the seat with either me or my wife sitting at the back with him. But he is gonna grow out of it pretty soon (infant seat not the car seat), seat is also still facing rear as of now. Maybe a month or so more and i will move it to face the front.

Hope it helps. If you need any pics of the seat feel free to let me know.

Last edited by sammyboy : 23rd January 2013 at 17:29.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:32   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post

Hope it helps. If you need any pics of the seat feel free to let me know.
Thanks for the info. I was a little skeptical of buying the combination seat after multiple sources on the net recommended buying rear facing, and then graduating to forward facing. Can you please let me know what brand/model did you purchase? I've taken a look at Britax marketed by Mothercare, and Fisher Price/Chicco available almost everywhere. The Britax looks super solid and rugged, although priced at around 13k. Chicco/FP models are priced around 9k. I'm leaning towards the Britax.
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:57   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was a little skeptical of buying the combination seat after multiple sources on the net recommended buying rear facing, and then graduating to forward facing. Can you please let me know what brand/model did you purchase? I've taken a look at Britax marketed by Mothercare, and Fisher Price/Chicco available almost everywhere. The Britax looks super solid and rugged, although priced at around 13k. Chicco/FP models are priced around 9k. I'm leaning towards the Britax.
I got the Chicco Eletta , 10K or so i think. Here is the link :
http://www.chicco.com/ProdottiChicco...S/Default.aspx

Britax is also very good, . I so wanted to get the seat which looked like a recaro :P (what do you expect from car crazy team bhpians) unfortunately its only for higher ages.

Last edited by sammyboy : 23rd January 2013 at 17:58.
Old 23rd January 2013, 18:24   #403
BHPian

Quote:
... The Britax looks super solid and rugged, although priced at around 13k. Chicco/FP models are priced around 9k. I'm leaning towards the Britax.
I can vouch for Britax, the one that I'm using. Do check the prices in-store and then purchase online if you find discount coupons. This way the prices would be cheaper. As stated earlier, mine was listed in-store and online for 16.09k, applied 15% off coupon and bought it for 13.68k online!
Old 28th January 2013, 10:56   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I can vouch for Britax, the one that I'm using. Do check the prices in-store and then purchase online if you find discount coupons. This way the prices would be cheaper. As stated earlier, mine was listed in-store and online for 16.09k, applied 15% off coupon and bought it for 13.68k online!
Agree, even without coupons, shoppers stop online store offers fab discounts. No comments on the shipping though, am yet to experience it. Thanks for the advice!
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 11:04   #405
BHPian

Quote:
...No comments on the shipping though, am yet to experience it...
I got my seat delivered in 4 days! Shouldn't take more than a week at maximum I suppose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks