Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 01:46   #406

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

I moved to the US recently. The car seat regulations here are extremely strict. Can share some observations:

- I have a Britax B-Safe car seat (along with B-Agile stroller). It is a rear-facing infant car seat (as all infant car seats have to be, by law), and comes in 2 parts - the car seat base and a detachable car seat. Some people also buy an extra car seat base so that the same car seat can be placed on two cars. I highly recommend this car seat - the only downside is that the carseat is marginally heavier than some others (such as Graco). While this doesn't sound like a big deal, it becomes a big deal if you have to contort yourself routinely to attach/detach the car seat with the baby in it!

In my case, I chose B-Safe (even knowing it was a bit heavier) because it integrates beautifully with the stroller. You just click it in place and it requires no additional adapters. Note: Many adapters don't allow you to close or collapse the stroller properly. It was also a bit bigger than most (32" i think vs 30")

Car seat safety - most good brands are very safe. What a lot of people don't focus on however is how well the car seat base is fastened. My city recently did a random car seat inspection audit and they found that about 95% of all car seats were not installed correctly. This is very tricky to get "right" and requires a fair bit of strength and trial and error. The thumb rule is that if you push/pull the car seat base vigorously, it should not move sideways by more than an inch.

The other thing is that the baby should be properly buckled in the car seat. There's no point having a car seat if the baby is not buckled in it. Again, doing this day in day out is cumbersome and boring but it is important.
asliarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 10:47   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
The other thing is that the baby should be properly buckled in the car seat. There's no point having a car seat if the baby is not buckled in it. Again, doing this day in day out is cumbersome and boring but it is important.
For our child's safety this is most important. Even if it is boring, it takes less time than wearing our pants. I guess we should all be able to spare this much time for the safety and well being of our children.
It is a habit that will be inculcated eventually.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 17:42   #408
BHPian

Hello Everybody,
I'm looking to buy a seat for 6 months old baby. Probably combo of both rear/front facing options. Could you please suggest good store options in Pune?

Last edited by zalaps : 21st February 2013 at 17:43.
Old 26th February 2013, 13:21   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Could you please suggest good store options in Pune?
Quite a lot of ShoppersStop are there in Pune (information through Google):

Godrej Eternia, B Wing
Mumbai-Pune Road, Shivaji Nagar, Pune
+91 20 4140 0500

Nuclues Mall
Church Rd, GPO Camp, Pune
+91 20 4140 0200

Kumar Pacific mall, Shankar Sheth Road New swargate flyover
Pune
+91 20 4148 4946

If child seats are not available in-store, check their online store.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:12   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Hello Everybody,
I'm looking to buy a seat for 6 months old baby. Probably combo of both rear/front facing options. Could you please suggest good store options in Pune?
From MH14, I could guess that you live in PCMC area. The nearest store to you would be Mom & me store in Aundh. This has car seats available. Regarding Shoppers Stop options suggested by others, I can definately say that the one in Inorbit Mall at Nagar Road has the car seats. I had seen it there. Not sure about others.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 18:47   #411
BHPian

Guys not sure if this link was posted earlier. It carries a lot of important information on car seats and booster seats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_safety_seat
Old 21st May 2013, 11:22   #412
BHPian

I have a query.

We (me and wifey) are expecting are expecting our first child in 4 months. So I have decided to start scouting for child seats.

From the discussion I am interested in the Britex child seat. I own a 2009 Indica Vista. Will this product fit into my car?
Old 28th May 2013, 14:29   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL54 View Post
I have a query.

We (me and wifey) are expecting are expecting our first child in 4 months. So I have decided to start scouting for child seats.

From the discussion I am interested in the Britex child seat. I own a 2009 Indica Vista. Will this product fit into my car?
Indeed it will fit your car. You can ask for a demo too from the ShopperStop/Mothercare guys.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:45   #414
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all child seats will fit your vehicle.

You need one that faces the seat (opp to normal direction of seating) for an infant who cannot sit / walk., next you will need a second seat (upto age about 4-5 years and wt 15 kg that will face forward, and lastly you will need a forward facing booster seat that used the cars seat belt itself for wt above 15 kgs.

So 3 seats in all for various wt and age over the year. Never keep the kid in the front seat till he is about 7+ yrs, or so.
Old 28th May 2013, 15:01   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So 3 seats in all for various wt and age over the year. Never keep the kid in the front seat till he is about 7+ yrs, or so.
Okay, I was under the impression that a single product will suffice for the first two uses - until the child is 18 kgs "old". Say, something like this - http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/ca...rst-class-plus

What are the cons of buying such a product?

About the last piece of advice, you are joking, right? I can already hear the wails and persistent nagging from the little one to get to the front seat...

Thanks for your advice - NonStop and ACM.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:15   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Okay, I was under the impression that a single product will suffice for the first two uses - until the child is 18 kgs "old". Say, something like this - http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/ca...rst-class-plus

What are the cons of buying such a product?

About the last piece of advice, you are joking, right? I can already hear the wails and persistent nagging from the little one to get to the front seat...

Thanks for your advice - NonStop and ACM.
You can go for the Britax one which you have shared in your post (or similar brands), which should good enough until the child is around 4.

And I am sure that ACM was not joking. The child seat should be secured in the rear seat. Persistent nagging will go off once s/he get used to the new seat
Old 5th July 2013, 19:07   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Anyone knows shops which sell child seats in Cochin ?

Regards
Did you or anyone else find a shop in Kochi yet? If yes, please share details - a bit of googling didn't help much :(
Old 5th July 2013, 20:07   #418

Hi I am child safety Expert in Europe. My Career is to develop vehicles towards 5* EuroNCAP rating for child safety. So you can ask me any technical stuff regarding child safety.

Safest child seats are the one with Isofix. This has almost a rigid connection of Child seat to the vehicle. Isofix Hooks are Mandatory for vehicles in Europe for all 2nd row Outboard positions by law. I think Isofix anchors in Indian Vehicles are available in High end cars only.

What is ISOFIX?
ISOFIX is a fixed interface with standardized anchoring points for securely installing the child safety seat in a vehicle. It has by now become the international standard for all automobile and child safety seat manufacturers. This anchoring technology minimizes installation mistakes and optimizes the protective effect by means of a solid connection between child safety seat and vehicle.

You can buy a child seat which has Isofix Levers if your car is having Isofix anchors to connect it. You can connect your child seat to the vehicle Isofix anchor in one easy step. It is hassle free and safer.

Neverthless 3-point seat belt of your vehicle also provides good connection to child seats with proper routing of seatbelt over child seat by following instructions on your Child seat handbook.

For Infants up to 18 Months, Rearward facing seats are safer to avoid Neck Injury.
However here is the classification of child seats in Europe.

European experts have determined five groups for child restraint systems, classified by the weight of the child.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding Child safety

Please refer following website for more Information

Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture1.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture2.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture3.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture4.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture5.jpg  

drive_safe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 20:29   #419
BHPian

Great to have you on board, drive_safe.

Unfortunately, most cars in India aren't equipped to accept ISOFIX / LATCH child seat tethers.

As you correctly mention, only the CBU imported vehicles from Europe (and possibly the SKD assembled models too) will definitely have the anchor points.

Personally, I believe all safety equipment should be STANDARD on ALL variants of any given model. I.e. ABS+EBD, BAS, ESC+roll-over mitigation, and a full complement of airbags.

I understand that there are costs involved, but what price SAFETY of a human life ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 21:14   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
As you correctly mention, only the CBU imported vehicles from Europe (and possibly the SKD assembled models too) will definitely have the anchor points.
The pre-facelift Fabia had ISOFIX. The newly launched EcoSport too has ISOFIX in it's top varaint as per the Ford brochure.
Quote:
Will this product fit into my car?
Ask them to fit the seat in your car before you pay up, for some seats will form a gap between the backrest of the car seat and the child seat, which is not advisable. Also make sure the seat has an adjustment lever to tilt the seat when the child sleeps off, or else the child's head will not remain stable when going over not so smooth roads.

Last edited by Daewood : 5th July 2013 at 21:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks