Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 17:04   #601
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Is it ok to buy a used car seat ? Anything to worry about before buying one ?
We want to buy a carry cot (cum rocker) for my 1 Month old son but that cannot be used as a car seat. The rocker/carry cot comes for like 1.8-2K. But i could find some used car seats in this range as well on olx and such.
So is it ok to go for a used car seat ?

One example listing I found: http://mumbai.olx.in/mother-care-car...-iid-701004607
Old 28th August 2014, 11:58   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Is it ok to buy a used car seat ? Anything to worry about before buying one ?
We want to buy a carry cot (cum rocker) for my 1 Month old son but that cannot be used as a car seat. The rocker/carry cot comes for like 1.8-2K. But i could find some used car seats in this range as well on olx and such.

One example listing I found: http://mumbai.olx.in/mother-care-car...-iid-701004607
It looks fine, but the main concern with child seats is hygiene. I would be very cagey about buying things without inspecting them first.

Better solution would be to ask around your workplace or where you live. People have babies all the time and the little tykes grow fast! Pure-play infant seats lose their utility pretty fast (13 kg limit means babies outgrow them by 12 months, sometimes as early as 9 months). Better to get a hand-me-down from someone you know rather than the anonymity of the interwebz!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:41   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So this is what i have now for my 5yr old daughter who is 3ft tall and weighs 16kgs.

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...luxe-grey.html

Now have ordered this:
http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...-car-seat.html
My 5.5 year old son also needs an 'upgrade' now that he is just about 18 KGs. We have been using Mother Care's seat (made in France) and have had no issues.

However, I am wondering why you are looking at changing from the smaller booster seat to the one with High Back. I was actually planning to get the smaller booster seat considering its simplicity. Any disadvantages?
Old 28th August 2014, 13:54   #604
Senior - BHPian

Just thinking that the one with the back and side would be comfortable for her to sleep while on long drives.

Hope so
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:20   #605
Senior - BHPian

Finally purchased a Baby Car Seat and also put it for trial during the recent long drive.
Tribute Sport Cnvrtbl Car Seat - Maxwell* was the model we decided to buy. Did not place the order online, but went to a Mom & Me shop and picked it up. I did this because I wanted to ensure that the seat can be placed in my Mahindra Quanto vehicle. The sales folks at the shop was only happy to give me a demonstration and I paid up and took the seat home.

The car seat costed Rs.9999/- and to be frank I was very hesitant to buy this. Perhaps every mother would say this, but my wife repeatedly said that her baby is unique and may not feel comfortable in this seat. But the kid stood with her father and now I feel that this was a good investment. I placed the seat in the middle position of the back seat (rear facing) and the baby just enjoyed staying in the car seat. One thing which was most visible was that her sleeping time during those journeys doubled. Her sleeping posture was more comfortable I guess. Earlier we used to just place her on the back seat (fully lying down) and I know how unsafe and uncomfortable that position is. This long drive (1300 odd kms) clearly proved that these seats are quite useful and most of the babies would find comfortable to sit in these.

My recommendation for all those regular drivers would be to have such a seat. Most of the old generation folks may feel uncomfortable about the baby seats and may be skeptical about the whole thing.

* The model shown in the web site was slightly different from what they had at the shop. The one we took have side protection as well, and a small pillow which kind of surrounds the head (and covers the ears) of the baby.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 22:44   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Finally purchased a Baby Car Seat and also put it for trial during the recent long drive.
Tribute Sport Cnvrtbl Car Seat - Maxwell* was the model we decided to buy. Did not place the order online, but went to a Mom & Me shop and picked it up. I did this because I wanted to ensure that the seat can be placed in my Mahindra Quanto vehicle. The sales folks at the shop was only happy to give me a demonstration and I paid up and took the seat home.

The car seat costed Rs.9999/- and to be frank I was very hesitant to buy this. Perhaps every mother would say this, but my wife repeatedly said that her baby is unique and may not feel comfortable in this seat. But the kid stood with her father and now I feel that this was a good investment. I placed the seat in the middle position of the back seat (rear facing) and the baby just enjoyed staying in the car seat. One thing which was most visible was that her sleeping time during those journeys doubled. Her sleeping posture was more comfortable I guess. Earlier we used to just place her on the back seat (fully lying down) and I know how unsafe and uncomfortable that position is. This long drive (1300 odd kms) clearly proved that these seats are quite useful and most of the babies would find comfortable to sit in these.

My recommendation for all those regular drivers would be to have such a seat. Most of the old generation folks may feel uncomfortable about the baby seats and may be skeptical about the whole thing.

* The model shown in the web site was slightly different from what they had at the shop. The one we took have side protection as well, and a small pillow which kind of surrounds the head (and covers the ears) of the baby.
Congrats on your purchase. The feeling of driving while knowing your baby is peacefully asleep and perfectly safe in the harness is well worth the cost of the seat.
Old 14th September 2014, 23:13   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Other than the hygiene factor - which can be addressed by proper cleaning and in extremis by fumigation, some of the more important factors to watch out for are the following:
Avoid Seats that were involved in a car accident
a) Was their car ever in an accident - even if it was minor? The reason is that in an accident the restraining straps and fasteners undergo stress, and may get permanently deformed. So they won't be able to perform a good job if YOU get into an accident.
Avoid seat straps that have been damaged
b) Were the seat straps ever washed / soaked or cleaned/sprayed with any chemicals - such as Lysol or Bleach.
If so, stay away from this seat. Or buy it, and order new straps in from the manufacturer.
Avoid seats that have been checked-in for flights once too often
c) Was the seat ever checked into an airplane? Many modern car seats can double up as baby-holders in a perambulator. That's a boon for the harried mom, taking a flight with the baby. Checking-in the car-seat+perambulator when collecting the boarding pass is the normal thing to do when carriers, don't allow the car seat on board for safety reasons on some smaller planes.
Now, once checked-in, one does not have any control on how the seat is actually treated by the baggage handlers and the baggage systems. If thrown around roughly, there could be internal structural damage, without your even knowing it. And that's not good for the baby in subsequent car accident.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 14th September 2014 at 23:19.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:54   #608
BHPian

Does anybody know what type of installation is available in Indian cars? The amercan seats are installed using a "Latch" or "Teether" system, also known as "isofix". I think the cars in India don't offer this and we need to install the baby car seat using a seat belt. Please confirm as I am itching to place the order at Amazon for a Britax, EvenFlo or a Safety 1st.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:29   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Does anybody know what type of installation is available in Indian cars? The amercan seats are installed using a "Latch" or "Teether" system, also known as "isofix". I think the cars in India don't offer this and we need to install the baby car seat using a seat belt. Please confirm as I am itching to place the order at Amazon for a Britax, EvenFlo or a Safety 1st.
Only few of the manufacturers like Ford ( In India ) offer Isofix. It depends on case-case. you need to check your car for isofix latch.

Mostly Indian cars dont have these and usual installation is on seat belts.

Evenflo , Mothercare and even Britax are good options, out of which britax being premium.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 15:34   #610
BHPian

Quote:
I am using Evenflo convertible car seat for my kid. It fits will seat belt just fine. Walk into nearest mom&me or first cry dealer if you want to check how the installation will work. I did the same.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:54   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Evenflo model of car seat which I purchased (see a couple of posts above to get a link to a picture) has provisions for Latch and Teethar. But I don't think any car in India has the devices to which these latches and teethars would get fixed. So the only option is to use the seat belt. Evenflo model has a provision to secure the baby seat using the seat belts and it works just fine.
Old 28th September 2014, 01:35   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Here is the picture of the child seat for my dear son.
Model : Lil wanderers .
Price : 7999
Convertible seat. (i.e) can be used both as Rear facing and Front facing.
Shop: Mom and me , city centre branch , Chennai.
Hi Undead,

I also checked this seat today. Hows your experience? I am also looking for a convertible seat for my princess.

I checked this one from Mee Mee online. http://www.flipkart.com/meemee-car-s...c-fffd4a57370c

But I am not sure if this one is convertible as the site suggests.

It looks like a booster.
Old 28th September 2014, 13:29   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Hi Undead,

I also checked this seat today. Hows your experience? I am also looking for a convertible seat for my princess.

I checked this one from Mee Mee online. http://www.flipkart.com/meemee-car-s...c-fffd4a57370c

But I am not sure if this one is convertible as the site suggests.

It looks like a booster.
Our experience with the child seat is satisfactory. The only slight drawback was the reclining angle while using it as rear facing seat is less than required. But it was adjusted by placing a small pillow under the seat base itself and it lifts the seat and provided the angle we required.

My 10 month old son really comfortable in that. He sleeps for atleast 2 hours when put on the seat. If he is in our arms, both the kid and the adult holding the kid will feel uncomfortable during long journeys. This is really worth it, both in terms of safety and comfortableness. It will take little time for our kids to settle in there. We bought it from MomandMe store in chennai.

Installation will take around 5 mins .

About the MeeMee car seat you mentioned on the link :- Eventhough it is mentioned as Rear and Forward , it looks like a forward facing seat only. Do check it properly . Also another suggestion is to but the car seat from the Store instead of online.

Last edited by undead : 28th September 2014 at 13:33.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 13:39   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Our experience with the child seat is satisfactory. The only slight drawback was the reclining angle while using it as rear facing seat is less than required. But it was adjusted by placing a small pillow under the seat base itself and it lifts the seat and provided the angle we required.

My 10 month old son really comfortable in that. He sleeps for atleast 2 hours when put on the seat. If he is in our arms, both the kid and the adult holding the kid will feel uncomfortable during long journeys. This is really worth it, both in terms of safety and comfortableness. It will take little time for our kids to settle in there. We bought it from MomandMe store in chennai.

Installation will take around 5 mins .

About the MeeMee car seat you mentioned on the link :- Eventhough it is mentioned as Rear and Forward , it looks like a forward facing seat only. Do check it properly . Also another suggestion is to but the car seat from the Store instead of online.

Thanks for your response. We also checked the same Mom & Me store in Mumbai. But I dont know why I checked all other car seats exdcept this one. So I will have to go back to see if my princess likes it or not. But she was in love with Evenflo and Graco seats.

By any chance do you have any idea about this brand Sunbaby.
Old 28th September 2014, 15:46   #615
Senior - BHPian

Your daughter has good taste, Graco is indeed the big daddy when it comes to baby seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
So I will have to go back to see if my princess likes it or not. But she was in love with Evenflo and Graco seats.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed