Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 12:21   #811
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

I have quite an unusual query. I am using a car seat since about a month in my Figo 1.5D. My 2 year old daughter absolutely loves to be in the seat.

I have a Forward Facing car seat which I have fixed with the adult seat belt on rear LH side.

Now, I also have an old Santro which sadly do not have rear seat belts.

Is there a way wherein I can retrofit something (maybe an ISOFIX) so that I can use the car seat in Santro too?
Old 9th May 2016, 12:21   #812
BHPian

Apologies for another post on the same topic, quickly researched the Chicco Eletta seats online, do not mean to start a flame war, and no offense to people using these seats, but what I found online about this specific car seat is not at all confidence inspiring. In fact, Which UK has this in their "Dont-buy" list, as they found the seat is unsafe in case of an accident:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/fo...topic=264707.0
http://community.babycentre.co.uk/po...or_rear_facing
http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/n...lease-all.html
https://www.consumer.org.nz/products.../chicco-eletta

Please do not just buy car seats based on user-review, also search for other reviews which might indicate how safe the seat is in case of an accident. A car seat is like a helmet, if its not ISI marked its as good as not wearing any.
harryputtar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:22   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Please do not just buy car seats based on user-review ... ... ...
This is a very good point. What are we, the users, qualified to review? We can talk about ease of use, aesthetics, comfort, whether children like the colour or not but we have no qualification or experience [hopefully] to know how the seat will perform in an accident. We have no idea about its structural integrity, and we are not going to take it apart to find out.

Better, as you say, to rely on national/international standards markings and on the reviews of safety and consumer organisations that have performed proper testing.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th May 2016 at 14:24.
Old 10th May 2016, 23:08   #814
BHPian

Quote:
I am not quite sure rear facing seats for babies support isofix
They does support isofix. I am using Britax B-safe (got it from US) which is infant rearward facing seat and it support both isofix and seat belt installation. I have installed it using isofix in my Ecosport.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:29   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Now, I also have an old Santro which sadly do not have rear seat belts.

Is there a way wherein I can retrofit something (maybe an ISOFIX) so that I can use the car seat in Santro too?
Whatever you retrofit will probably never be as good as the OEM installation of the same, so keep that in mind.

That said, if you have to use the Santro, having your child in a decently secured child-seat is probably a lot safer than not having one.

Perhaps you can look at the location of mounting points for the rear seatbelts on newer Santros, and model something off that.
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 12:50   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Whatever you retrofit will probably never be as good as the OEM installation of the same, so keep that in mind.

That said, if you have to use the Santro, having your child in a decently secured child-seat is probably a lot safer than not having one.
Agreed with both the points!

I had the option of taking the easy way out of this problem, by putting the child seat on front seat, but I DO NOT want to do that. Because, right now my daughter is used to sitting in her child seat at the back in my Figo and I do not want to give her a choice that her child seat can come in front seat too. I am totally aware of the dangers of the child seat in front (especially in my Figo with airbags).

So right now, I am stuck with the old horse Santro and Wifey is enjoying the Figo as she has the task of picking up and dropping my daughter. I only touch the Figo on weekends, but no regrets.

There was a thought of replacing the Santro with any other pre-cared car but the Santro is fetching me mere peanuts, makes sense to use it rather as it is still good for the office commute.

Quote:
Perhaps you can look at the location of mounting points for the rear seatbelts on newer Santros, and model something off that.
Will check out with my FNG if he knows someone who can do this.

Last edited by teemus : 12th May 2016 at 12:53.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 14:00   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Thanks, so now its confirmed that Polo doesn't have ISOFIX. My kid is 5.5 months only, so I guess Chicco Gro-up is not suitable for her.
I have placed an order for Chicco Nextfit through FirstCry.com for around Rs 22K (MRP is Rs 28k)

There is a 20% discount sale is going on (Coupon Code : MOM13BRAND)

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 13th May 2016 at 14:02.
shetty_rohan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 16:27   #818
BHPian

Hii guys does anyone here know any car seats for twins. Also any other twin parent members having any suggestions about managing with twins on long drives. My boys are 11 months old
Old 13th May 2016, 17:28   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hii guys does anyone here know any car seats for twins. Also any other twin parent members having any suggestions about managing with twins on long drives. My boys are 11 months old
I am not a parent of a twin, but have a neighbor who is. They bought 2 identical car seats placing them on the rear left and rear right seats. They are 3 years old now, have seen them using it this way for more than 2 years. There's no twin car seats as they have strollers, if you were expecting something in that lines

Buy one that would support 0-36 month olds and around the 3 year mark switch them both to front facing 5 point booster seats.

Other twins at school use the same way as well.

Funny anecdote on sibling psychology we encountered, we used the Chicco Trilogy rear facing seat for my younger one (who was 1 year old at that time). At a pit stop, my elder (who's 6) goes and sits in her brother's car seat
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 19:47   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I have placed an order for Chicco Nextfit through FirstCry.com for around Rs 22K (MRP is Rs 28k)

There is a 20% discount sale is going on (Coupon Code : MOM13BRAND)
I always liked this seat, Its a beautiful one, for sure. Though not in a situation to afford it now, just thinking about it after you showed that discount. But some doubts, it will be great if you can clarify the same. why do you decide it over eletta? I guess one adv is that eletta is suggested upto 19kg, and nextfit upto 30 kgs. And the reclining of nextfit seems to be button operated. Is it better than eletta in any other regards?

I could see that Eletta doesnt have the best of the designs, does nextfit have that? Why did you decide upon nextfit.

Also is it good to use the same seat from 0 to 5 yrs, or better to use a seat from 0 - 2/3 and then buy the one exclusive for grown up kids? Do you think same seat designed for both age groups work well?
Old 13th May 2016, 21:12   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I am not a parent of a twin, but have a neighbor who is. They bought 2 identical car seats placing them on the rear left and rear right seats. They are 3 years old now, have seen them using it this way for more than 2 years. There's no twin car seats as they have strollers, if you were expecting something in that lines

Buy one that would support 0-36 month olds and around the 3 year mark switch them both to front facing 5 point booster seats.

Other twins at school use the same way as well.

Funny anecdote on sibling psychology we encountered, we used the Chicco Trilogy rear facing seat for my younger one (who was 1 year old at that time). At a pit stop, my elder (who's 6) goes and sits in her brother's car seat
Hi narayan thanks for the information. I do have a goodbaby twin pram which is really useful at times so was wondering if there was something similar in terms of car seats. With mom in the US it gets difficult for me and wife to travel / drive with twins.
I bought a R Rabbit car seat so will pick up another good car seat.
Your anecdote was an amusing read and that's kids for you.
Old 13th May 2016, 21:37   #822
BHPian

Quote:
I always liked this seat, Its a beautiful one, for sure. Though not in a situation to afford it now, just thinking about it after you showed that discount.
Discount ends today :-). But, Firstcry seems to be having this kind of discount once in a month.
Quote:
why do you decide it over eletta? I guess one adv is that eletta is suggested upto 19kg, and nextfit upto 30 kgs. And the reclining of nextfit seems to be button operated. Is it better than eletta in any other regards?I could see that Eletta doesnt have the best of the designs, does nextfit have that? Why did you decide upon nextfit.
I have been researching on car seats for a long time(at least last 6 months). I was looking for the best rated convertible car seat(around $300). Finally decided on buying either Graco 4Ever or Chicco Nextfit. Both of these cost around 28k in India. Since there was a discount on Chicco NextFit, decided to buy this.
Though I had initially looking for Eletta because of the price, I had to drop this from my list because it seemed to be not very safe.
Reposting the previous post.
Quote:
but what I found online about this specific car seat is not at all confidence inspiring. In fact, Which UK has this in their "Dont-buy" list, as they found the seat is unsafe in case of an accident:
http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/fo...topic=264707.0
http://community.babycentre.co.uk/po...or_rear_facing
http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/n...lease-all.html
https://www.consumer.org.nz/products.../chicco-eletta
Nextfit is much better designed product. Look at amazon.com, there are around 622 customer reviews(http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-NextFit...ustomerReviews).Eletta is not even listed.
Quote:
Also is it good to use the same seat from 0 to 5 yrs, or better to use a seat from 0 - 2/3 and then buy the one exclusive for grown up kids? Do you think same seat designed for both age groups work well?
Yes, it is better to use infant seat(till 2 years), then buy a different seat after that. But even the good infant seat(e.g. chicco keyfit 30) costs around $200.
shetty_rohan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 22:14   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a R Rabbit car seat so will pick up another good car seat.
Hi Vinit, please let me know what do you feel about R for Rabbit car seat. From the details on their website, it looks quite good. I am specifically looking at Jumping Jack - The Growing Baby Car Seat model.
Old 13th May 2016, 22:38   #824
BHPian

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hi Vinit, please let me know what do you feel about R for Rabbit car seat. From the details on their website, it looks quite good. I am specifically looking at Jumping Jack - The Growing Baby Car Seat model.

Hii John got the car seat from Amazon last month. The car seat is very sturdy and well-designed and easy to use. Pretty satisfied with it.
Here is the link to it on Amazon.

Picaboo - Infant Car Seat cum Carry Cot from R for Rabbit https://www.amazon.in/dp/B017OPOGM6/..._oJGnxb1J96E93

The item is currently unavailable as of now but is available on firstcry.
Please note however I haven't used any other car seat so my experience is limited to this one and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Edit: Here's the link for firstcry.

www.firstcry.com/r-for-rabbit/r-for-rabbit-picaboo-rear-facing-infant-car-seat-cum-carry-cot-grey-and-blue/723340/product-detailref2=whatshareios

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 13th May 2016 at 22:40.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 23:04   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The item is currently unavailable as of now but is available on firstcry.
Thank You! It helps!

We can buy products directly from their website too. https://www.rforrabbit.com/collections/

Most Viewed