Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2020, 13:06   #1186

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Is this available now? I didn't find a PM option here so let me know how to contact you. Seems like you are from Kerala😊
Old 19th December 2020, 15:15   #1187
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder70 View Post
Is this available now? I didn't find a PM option here so let me know how to contact you. Seems like you are from Kerala��
Its available. You will find my contact number here:https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...ild-Seat.html/

PS: I live near ottapalam, just an hour drive away from you
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:05   #1188
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I had purchased one Britax kidfix XP SICT a few months..

PS: Any interested BHPian, do PM me

Attachment 2087617

Attachment 2087618
I was wondering why this Britax are being Sold expensive even in China! My Britax XP SICT is still made in Germany and imported into China, hence a higher price tag. I am letting it go cheaper tbough

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20201220_115338.jpg
Old 21st January 2021, 12:04   #1189
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have a few naive questions...

Background:
We're planning a long road trip with our friends who have a 3 year old. Including the kid there will be 5 occupants. They have not trained their kid to sit in the child seat ever. He either sits in the laps or sleeps on the rear seat. He mostly doses off when the car is travelling at a steady pace.

I have a child seat at home which I would like to be occupied by the child throughout the trip. I will fix it in the car and pick them up from an airport half way into our trip.

Dilemma:
I have to decide whether to begin the journey with the child seat in the car or not. In all probability it could mostly be rejected by the kid and will become useless baggage for us on the trip for the next 5 days.

Suggestion requested:
-Since we do not have kids we do not know how to lure them into making use of something new like this.

-How can he be prepped up to get familiar with it (we have 20 days at hand) in the absence of a child seat?

-Worst case, can we begin our trips with him in the lap and then transfer him to the seat (and buckle him up) as soon as he doses off?

-What could be the best way to deal with this situation as I absolutely hate kids scurrying back and forth in the car while its moving.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:30   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
-What could be the best way to deal with this situation as I absolutely hate kids scurrying back and forth in the car while its moving.[/indent]
Believe me this is not at all a naïve question.

Making kids comfortable with child seat takes a lot of patience (from both kid and parents). The kid is definitely going to push back and throw lot of tantrums initially. But if the parents are willing to ignore the hue and cry, the child should be comfortable within couple of days. Infact they will feel more comfortable in the seat, once they get a hang of it.

My suggestion - Carry the seat for such a long journey as safety comes first. Initially, coax the kid into sitting in the child seat using some pretend game or toys and let him sit for 20 - 30 mins. With each day you can increase the sitting duration. However, do note that you have to take frequent breaks and hence you should factor that in your itinerary.

For reference - My kid (4 yo) is fairly comfortable in his seat for anywhere between 2 to 3 hours. And if he sleeps that is a bonus (as I can stretch till 5 hours). He has been travelling like this since 1.5 years now and he took 5 - 7 days to accept that his mumma's lap is going to be replaced with a proper seat !!
nitinkbhaskar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:01   #1191
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Making kids comfortable with child seat takes a lot of patience (from both kid and parents). The kid is definitely going to push back and throw lot of tantrums initially. But if the parents are willing to ignore the hue and cry, the child should be comfortable within couple of days. Infact they will feel more comfortable in the seat, once they get a hang of it.
My problem is that its not even my kid and the parents don't even have a child seat to prep him up.

The hue and cry of the kid hurts the parents more than anyone else and there is bound to be a foul mood at the beginning of each leg of the journey if the kid doesn't comply.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:33   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a few naive questions...
Well, a child needs to be conditioned into the habit of using a child seat. My niece started using car seat when she was around 6-7 months of age and was able to sit with support. Wherever she was taken, she was always in her seat. She got used to it so much so that she would ask for a seat in a cab too! My son also started sitting in a car seat when he was around 8-9 months. But since our city is a tier 3 city and the car seat takes 1 person's space in a Wagon R, we don't use it inside city. Although it's a permanent fix in my Brezza and he stays in it for 2 hours plus, eats, sleeps and enjoys in seat, belted. When we take a break, he also gets a break. We've done a 2200kms trip with him in car seat, although he would get out of seat to be in mother's lap from time to time, he was 2 years then. One of the most important thing that I've followed is that he has NEVER been made to sit in the front seat of any car, even with anyone else.

So it may be a troublesome affair to suddenly start using a car seat for a child uninitiated to it. If you a day extra, you may try before embarking on a longer trip.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:38   #1193
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
So it may be a troublesome affair to suddenly start using a car seat for a child uninitiated to it. If you a day extra, you may try before embarking on a longer trip.
Sometimes I wonder, its their child and his safety. Why should I bother...?

My thoughts are just so petty that I am concerned about the kid stomping over the centre console and staining the interiors with his shoes, breaking something in the process.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:14   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder, its their child and his safety. Why should I bother...?

My thoughts are just so petty that I am concerned about the kid stomping over the centre console and staining the interiors with his shoes, breaking something in the process.
You should be bothered and so should they be, not because of him breaking anything but due to the fact that he can get serious injuries God forbid if anything wrong happens. Kids of my cousins also don't use child seat, infact one of them always sits in the front seat.

It is responsibility of parents to condition their child to use a child seat.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:20   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Many parents say that their child refuses to sit in the child seat.

I trained my kid to sit in child seat instead of sitting on someone's lap. I was very strict on her on this aspect and I achieved the goal in no time. At the end of the day, we as parents should have the ultimate control over them when they are small, not the other way around. If the kid is controlling the parents, then it is time to change.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:21   #1196
Team-BHP Support

Advice I received and continue giving to other parents.

1. Kids are manipulative devils.
2. You are not their friend.

Only once on a highway did my son throw a tantrum. I got him out from the child seat because he wanted to see some passing goats. Then refused to sit in the child seat. Refer #1 on why this happened.

Then continued to scream and shout.
After 5 minutes he realized he is the only one outside the car with me while his sister and mom are happily enjoying the music in the cool car.
End of tantrum and back in the child seat.

But @TGO, I feel really bad for you. Having a kid in the car who is not your own for such a long time is going to be really painful.

I love kids. But patience with others is not one of my strong points.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd January 2021 at 13:28.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:10   #1197
ike
BHPian

Quote:

I have to decide whether to begin the journey with the child seat in the car or not. In all probability it could mostly be rejected by the kid and will become useless baggage for us on the trip for the next 5 days.
Kids need to be in child seats from the very beginning (that is from the very first time he/she travels by car). Introducing it halfway through after the child has matured a little bit is a huge challenge. I hope you succeed in your efforts but getting a child to sit in a car seat all of a sudden is very far fetched
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:52   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Advice I received and continue giving to other parents.

1. Kids are manipulative devils.
2. You are not their friend.

Only once on a highway did my son throw a tantrum. I got him out from the child seat because he wanted to see some passing goats. Then refused to sit in the child seat. Refer #1 on why this happened.
Wow. Exact same thing happened with me. My kid said she wanted to pee so stopped, got her out and then she said she didnt want to any more. Tried to put her back in the seat and the tantrums began and went on for 5 mins. Finally gave her a mobile switched on her favorite videos and quietly put her back into the seat.

Not quite sure whether she won ( got the mobile) or I did ( put her back into the child seat).
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 08:57   #1199
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder70 View Post
Is this available now? I didn't find a PM option here so let me know how to contact you. Seems like you are from Kerala😊
Now, the Child seat is in Kochi, at my new home, if any Bhpian interested.https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...ild-Seat.html/
Old 15th February 2021, 14:31   #1200
BANNED

Anyone here has experience with Britax kidfix SL child seats?? Please pitch in with your experiences.
https://britax-india.in/products/kid...18619229667392

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks