Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 18:25   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Anyone with experience, and links to buy, car seats for around a 7-9 year old kid? My son has outgrown the regular seats, and booster is still a little ways off for him. He loves to fall asleep on long drives, and the booster does not permit him to do so peacefully.
I see barely a couple of seats for children upto 10,but looking at them I don't see much difference from the ones he's just outgrown.
Please recommend.
Old 5th September 2021, 18:47   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Search for high back booster seat. Some have proper neck supports on both the sides.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 20:47   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Anyone with experience, and links to buy, car seats for around a 7-9 year old kid? My son has outgrown the regular seats, and booster is still a little ways off for him. He loves to fall asleep on long drives, and the booster does not permit him to do so peacefully.
I see barely a couple of seats for children upto 10,but looking at them I don't see much difference from the ones he's just outgrown.
Please recommend.
https://www.chicco.in/chicco-product...car-seats.html
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 21:04   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
Do you have any experience with these? I'm looking at the chicco unico 0/1/2/3 group seat which says it's sufficient till 12 years. And it reclines, so it ticks all the boxes.

Edit:no recline, so this also doesn't serve my purpose fully.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th September 2021 at 21:16.
Old 5th September 2021, 21:18   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any experience with these? I'm looking at the chicco unico 0/1/2/3 group seat which says it's sufficient till 12 years. And it reclines, so it ticks all the boxes.
Refer my earlier post #1230.. I've attached the one I'm using from Chicco. The brand is excellent, I got it delivered home just by calling their number. You can go ahead with Unico without second thought.
Old 5th September 2021, 21:28   #1236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
Refer my earlier post #1230.. I've attached the one I'm using from Chicco. The brand is excellent, I got it delivered home just by calling their number. You can go ahead with Unico without second thought.
Is it able to recline while forward facing?
And trip you have the same one? Unico 0123 group, suitable till 12 years one?
Old 5th September 2021, 21:42   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your kid already crossed 0 and 1 group and now in 2/3 group. For 0 and 1 group 5 point harness is used and for 2 and 3 you need to use car seat belt directly like any other high back booster seat. Reclining may not be possible due to seat belt issue. @pratyaksh can confirm this.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th September 2021 at 21:46.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:55   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Mine is Unico that costed me Rs.19791/- with home delivery.
This one comes with American homologation while Unico is European homologation https://www.chicco.in/products/80586...car-seats.html
There are recline modes in Unico as well.. They're 1 2 3 and R. A red arrow should be aligned to the right number per the age group of your child. Should be 3 for yours.
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-screenshot_20210905225227.jpg
Old 6th September 2021, 00:25   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
My son has outgrown the regular seats, and booster is still a little ways off for him. He loves to fall asleep on long drives, and the booster does not permit him to do so peacefully.
Please recommend.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "booster is still a little ways off for him"? Is your son too big or too small for the booster seat? It would also be helpful to know what are seats he has outgrown.

Quote:
The Unico does serve multiple groups. But, compared to the other all-in-one seats, the Unico has a smaller upper limit for weight and height. Your son might overgrow that seat relatively quickly. A better option is to get a larger all-in-one seat like the Graco 4Ever. There are very few booster seats that recline. Getting them in India might be tough.
Rohan265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:59   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "booster is still a little ways off for him"? Is your son too big or too small for the booster seat? It would also be helpful to know what are seats he has outgrown.

The Unico does serve multiple groups. But, compared to the other all-in-one seats, the Unico has a smaller upper limit for weight and height. Your son might overgrow that seat relatively quickly. A better option is to get a larger all-in-one seat like the Graco 4Ever. There are very few booster seats that recline. Getting them in India might be tough.
He used this one earlier:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5083949 (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian)

The booster puts him quite low in the seat, and the diagonal seat belt goes under his ear. Plus, the sleep issue. I put in those side supports for his head, that latch onto the headrest. But this is not as comfortable as a seat. He is small for his age. If recline is not available, then discarding that opens up a whole host of options for me.
Old 6th September 2021, 22:18   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
He used this one earlier:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5083949 (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian)

The booster puts him quite low in the seat, and the diagonal seat belt goes under his ear. Plus, the sleep issue. I put in those side supports for his head, that latch onto the headrest. But this is not as comfortable as a seat. He is small for his age. If recline is not available, then discarding that opens up a whole host of options for me.
Thank you for the clarification. The ideal solution for you is to go for a combination seat like the Britax Grow with You or Chicco Myfit. Unfortunately, combination seats are virtually non-existent in India. However, reclining is not available in most booster seats. Since you are saying that your son is small for his age, you can even consider continuing to keep him in a rear-facing seating position (which is always the safest position for small children). There are some seats like the Graco Extend 2fit that are designed to keep children in the rear-facing for longer. However, depending on how fast your son grows, you might quickly have to switch to a booster seat.
Old 6th September 2021, 23:06   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
. Since you are saying that your son is small for his age, you can even consider continuing to keep him in a rear-facing seating position (which is always the safest position for small children)..
He's not that small!!
The seat he outgrew was a forward facing one. Till age 5,I think it was recommended,but he managed to use to 5.5/6 years.
Anyway, I've discarded the recline compulsion, and will be heading off to a few physical stores to try out a few seats and pick one up. I think with the rear seat reclined, it will give him enough to be comfortable, and that he won't be lolling forward.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:46   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Please recommend.
I bought a Graco booster seat for my son recently. He is just 5 but he has outgrown the earlier car seat that we had. This is the amazon link, Graco link, and another polish link. I can give feedback as I have a longish drive planned this weekend. This booster seat can be used for the weight category 15kg to 36kg (age group 3 to 12).
Old 16th September 2021, 12:47   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Got Britax Skyline booster seat for my son who is turning 4 this December. He is 20 kgs now and fits the minimum requirement. The seat looks and feel good and added advantage of a good brand. Ordered from Amazon and it took 3 weeks for delivery - packed well and surely original product.
Only grouse is we are paying more than twice the actual cost in the US, but then we do not have much options too. Since this come with headrest watch out for no obstruction of car head rest while fitting this. For Octavia it works fine.

Britax Skyline 2-Stage Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat - Highback and Backless - 2 Layer Impact Protection - 40 to 120 Pounds, Dusk https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07XSC4284/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 25th September 2021, 10:46   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post

Britax Skyline 2-Stage Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat - Highback and Backless - 2 Layer Impact Protection - 40 to 120 Pounds, Dusk https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07XSC4284/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I'm also looking for a booster seat for my 6 year old girl. My car doesn't have ISOFix, can this seat get fixed with just the car's seatbelt? Thanks!

Most Viewed