Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 11:56   #1261
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Can anyone give me specific and available car seats from amazon / flipkart / firstcry that I can buy for my 2 kids. One is 3 years old and one is 7 years old.

I don't want the cheapest but also don't want to spend a fortune. Also, if anyone in Mumbai is planning to sell theirs, I would be interested and you may PM me.
Not sure if correct but till now I had finalized these...

7 year old -> https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06WD81JFD/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

3 Year old -> Not decided yet.

For 7 year old, the above linked is NOT high back but now I feel it would be better.

Edit, saw this too for the 7 year old..

https://www.amazon.in/Graco-Seat-Jun...DDLER_CAR_SEAT

Last edited by raksrules : 10th November 2021 at 12:06.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:25   #1262
BHPian

Edit, saw this too for the 7 year old..

https://www.amazon.in/Graco-Seat-Jun...DDLER_CAR_SEAT[/quote]

Bought this for my 9 year old daughter and it's really good:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 25th November 2021, 13:41   #1263
BHPian

I am looking to get a car seat for my Grand i10 (non-isofix). Since the hatchback is relatively small, I would prefer a non-convertible one that can be used for a baby from 6 months to say 2 or 4 years which would be smaller and easier to fit in the car. Britax customer care isn't responding when I asked where to buy their seats in Mumbai. Couldn't find a Graco that fits this age group. Any other recommendations? My other option is the Evenflo Sonus but that seems bulky. Avoiding the RforRabbit, Luvlap, etc.
Old 25th November 2021, 14:19   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
My other option is the Evenflo Sonus but that seems bulky. Avoiding the RforRabbit, Luvlap, etc.
I use Evenflo Tribute in my Xcent which I believe is similar to Sonus. The seat indeed is bulky and the rear seat can only accommodate one more person, once it is fitted.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 18:58   #1265
BHPian

I would like to know that brands like luvlap, R for Rabbit etc are really crappy? I am asking since I have to buy 2 car seats for 2 kids (3 and 7.5) and for the elder one, I can get a high back graco car seat for under 7K but for the smaller one, I don't see anything in reasonable price but do see various options from R for Rabbit and such for 6.5K and such (convertible seats).
Old 27th November 2021, 00:39   #1266
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I would like to know that brands like luvlap, R for Rabbit etc are really crappy
I wouldn't call any of the car seats crappy. If they are sold, they need to meet some kind of safety standards. I would say that it is relative. Tomorrow a new brand of child seat with carbon fiber material, very strong and expensive might come to market and make the graco and chicoo brands looks crappy. Just an analogy. Dont take it seriously.

Just before our first daughter was born, we bought a new car. Did not get child seat to her as I was not aware of safety aspects. For our second daughter, bought a used Britax seat. since it looked pretty used and didn't feel like using it for our baby. Returned it and bought a luvlap sports childseat. It is small and compact and serves the purpose. More over, I'm a sedate and defensive driver when family is on board.

In US, it is mandatory for children to be seated in child seat. So for rental cars, I used to get childseat for rent. First time, I was not sure of how to fix the seat. When I asked the car rental person to fix it for me, he said he can't do it as it is safety related and has to be done by myself. Similarly, you should take a decision as to what is right for your child's safety and proceed.

General thumbrule is to go for the maximum safety product in your available budget. Function over form approach.
HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 21:40   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Since the hatchback is relatively small, I would prefer a non-convertible one that can be used for a baby from 6 months to say 2 or 4 years which would be smaller and easier to fit in the car.
If you want a seat for your child up to the age of 4, you will have to consider a convertible. Infant seats may be useful only for up to 1.5 or 2 years. Beyond that, you will have to get another rear-facing seat till your child is 4 years. Then you will require a combination/booster till your child is ready for the seat belt (~10 years). That is why it is better to get a single multi-stage seat for young children as the same seat can be used for up to 10 years.
If the size is the concern, there are some seats in the market known as "3-across". These seats are designed to be compact so that 3 seats can be placed in the rear row. Diono Radian seats are known for this purpose. Their All-in-one costs are above 30k here though. Should work for an I10 (my only concern is the height).

Quote:
I would like to know that brands like luvlap, R for Rabbit etc are really crappy? I am asking since I have to buy 2 car seats for 2 kids (3 and 7.5) and for the elder one, I can get a high back graco car seat for under 7K but for the smaller one, I don't see anything in reasonable price but do see various options from R for Rabbit and such for 6.5K and such (convertible seats).
Brands like Luvlap, R for Rabbit, trumom, etc. are not crappy. Just unproven. They have passed the regulations but their real-world performance is unknown. I had done research on car seats last year for my work and was not able to find a single real-world crash to indicate the performance of these seats. On the other hand, you can get tonnes of real-world crash examples for the reputed brand. Out of curiosity, I had also compared the local vs international brands' car seats at the store and I could tell the difference between the seats as soon as I picked them up. It's like comparing ISI-rated helmets to the DOT or ECE ones. All of them had passed regulation. But, you will feel safer while wearing the DOT or ECE ones. Most "ISI" rated helmets are also not tested.
If price is the deciding factor, you can consider Joie seats. They are quite reputed in the UK. I am not sure about Evenflo as their Booster seats had been investigated by the US govt last year. (link)

P.S: If you have come across any real-world crash experiences involving car seats from the local brands, please share.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 19:41   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to get a car seat for my Grand i10 (non-isofix). Since the hatchback is relatively small, I would prefer a non-convertible one that can be used for a baby from 6 months to say 2 or 4 years which would be smaller and easier to fit in the car. Britax customer care isn't responding when I asked where to buy their seats in Mumbai. Couldn't find a Graco that fits this age group. Any other recommendations? My other option is the Evenflo Sonus but that seems bulky. Avoiding the RforRabbit, Luvlap, etc.
Been using a Chicco from birth, been 4 years now. Will go on for another 1-2 years (upto 18KG). Rear facing till about 18 -24 months post that front facing. do check them out
Old 5th December 2021, 17:52   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Only those child-safety aware can appreciate the value of a good car seat. I bought this seat from Amazon UK right after buying my Jetta DSG, and I have never regretted spending so much on it, there is a certain satisfaction one gets knowing the kids are safe in the back seat.

My kid has now outgrown this seat, so it is up for sale now. Interested members please get in touch with me, so I can share more pictures etc.

Model: Maxi Cozi Rodifix with ISOFIX.
Suitable for: 15-36 Kgs of weight.
Imported from the UK in 2015.
Hi Forum members,

This seat is still available for sale, now at a great price as I need to dispose of it soon. Please PM me if interested.

Regards
Old 9th December 2021, 15:54   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter78 View Post
Been using a Chicco from birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
If you want a seat for your child up to the age of 4, you will have to consider a convertible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I use Evenflo Tribute in my Xcent which I believe is similar to Sonus. The seat indeed is bulky and the rear seat can only accommodate one more person, once it is fitted.
Thank you all for your replies. Went with the Evenflo Sonus. Used it on a long outstation trip in the in-law's Verna and the baby slept like a baby. Yet to try it out in the i-10 but it definitely is less bulky than I thought it would be. @padmrajravi thank you! You're right. Two in the back will be a comfortable fit. In a slightly bigger car three across should be doable.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:43   #1271
BHPian

Is a backless booster car seat enough for a 7.5 year old boy? My son is also tall for his age and we are planning to get a backless booster car seat (usually available for under 2000 Rupees).
Old 9th December 2021, 23:09   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Is a backless booster car seat enough for a 7.5 year old boy? My son is also tall for his age and we are planning to get a backless booster car seat (usually available for under 2000 Rupees).
Backless boosters have some disadvantages. First, they don't have the proper guides for the shoulder belt to go perfectly along the child's shoulder and collar bone. Without the guides, the shoulder belt tends to get displaced from the ideal positions in situations when a car goes along a curve or when the child moves. Second, backless boosters do not provide any neck support. So, if the rear seat of your car does not have a proper headrest or if the child's head does not reach the headrest even when on the booster, the child is susceptible to whiplash injuries. Finally, backless boosters provide no support for side impacts.
Consider the backless booster can only if your child is tall enough that his head comfortably reaches the headrest and you plan to use multiple cars (backless boosters are convenient to carry).
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 12:27   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
backless boosters are convenient to carry).
That's the only advantage really. I have this backless booster from Chicco and it is good enough for short rides in the city. It comes with a positioning belt to adjust the seat belt so it does not come over the neck of the child.
Last week we went on a highway drive and the kid struggled to sleep as there is no side support and was back on mama's lap
I am going to buy another one which has side support.
Old 16th January 2022, 23:41   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. Went with the Evenflo Sonus. Used it on a long outstation trip in the in-law's Verna and the baby slept like a baby. Yet to try it out in the i-10 but it definitely is less bulky than I thought it would be. @padmrajravi thank you! You're right. Two in the back will be a comfortable fit. In a slightly bigger car three across should be doable.
I am planning to buy this model (Evenflo Sonus Convertible Car Seat) or Evenflo Tribute 5 Convertible Car Seat for my 20 months old son. After my research and going through this forum, I think this is the best buy in non-ISOFIX category considering Evenflo is good brand. I hope your experience is positive till date.
Old 17th January 2022, 14:00   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
I am planning to buy this model (Evenflo Sonus Convertible Car Seat) or Evenflo Tribute 5 Convertible Car Seat for my 20 months old son. After my research and going through this forum, I think this is the best buy in non-ISOFIX category considering Evenflo is good brand. I hope your experience is positive till date.
Hi Piyush, yes you are correct. It is a very well made and safe seat even if the price is low. We took the baby on a road trip to Lonavla and back from the western suburbs and she slept all through and was very comfortable. I believe the Sonus is the newer model but don't quote me on that. Good luck.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks