Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 17:25   #151
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to go for Seville. It's the combination one.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:21   #152
BHPian

http://www.citruzbaby.in

A website offering branded child seats in India. Anyone with any experience shopping from the above site?
Old 21st February 2010, 09:33   #153

Car Seat - Repairs

Hi Folks,

Tried searching for a similar thread, but to no avail. Initially I tried with CAR SEATS and it returned all threads with CAR and SEATS! Then tried with CARSEATS and it said none found etc. So here goes...

I use a Car Seat with my Wagon R. This is something which I was particular about and after a lot of searching I managed to locate one and installation was an issue since my 2002 LX did not have rear seat belts so that too had to be installed. It was a grand success since my son loved it...it gave him a better view and my wife could now concentrate on the road instead of worrying he was jumping about etc.

The Problem
A few weeks back, a clamp broke. This is a red plastic clamp which is used to take up the slack of the seatbelt of the car, which is used to secure the car seat to the seat.

I am located in Delhi and went to Jhandewalan, the place for these things and they could not help.

If all else fails, then I will do some jugad, but would like to get a replacement clamp as a first choice.

Thanks
Regards
Jai.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:08   #154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A few weeks back, a clamp broke. This is a red plastic clamp which is used to take up the slack of the seatbelt of the car, which is used to secure the car seat to the seat.
Any carpenter should be able to set things right. However, if the end result in any way compromises the safety of your child, it's probably a better option to buy a new car seat.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:44   #155
Senior - BHPian

I bought the seville girl for my honda city. Not a good fit in the car though. Seatbelt is not long enough. Have fitted in my FIL's fusion and is seated well. Kid refuses to sit in it though. May be once she's older..
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:51   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any carpenter should be able to set things right. However, if the end result in any way compromises the safety of your child, it's probably a better option to buy a new car seat.
GTO these are moulded plastic clamps. When the break they cannot be repaired easily. One option isto change the seat location from left rear to right rear. Most seats offer clamps on both sides.

I believe it is safer to have the child in a seat with a working clamp in the right rear than in a seat with a broken clamp in the left rear (usually ed the safest seat in the car in RHD countries).

Also many seats have ancor belts that can be used to anchor the seat (for additional safety) to ametal hook that is in the trunk. The anchor belt passed through the rear seat into thetrunk (rear seats of most cars are foladble 60:40) and can be anchored there. So if the lamp is broken then the anchor belt (if your seat has one) may help.

Bednjai, In a pinch "aradite" might help but the safety of the seat will be compromised. Like GTO recommended, it is safest to get a new seat. My wife and I got a Britax Marathon for our son in 2002.

He out grew it and we gave the seat to a friend, 2 years later the friend loaned the seat to another friend and the seat is now on it's 4th child.

All 4 parents (actually 8 if you count the dads) today recommend Britax heartily.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:44   #157
Handbrake Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
Hi Guys,
I've been reading a lot of discussion on safety measures in cars and safe driving habits in the forums here. However we seem to be silent on safety of children travelling in cars.
I'm planning to buy my first car soon and want my 2 yr old kid to be safe in it, right from day one.
I would like to buy a kids car seat along with the car.
Any idea where can I get one in India (Pune, Mumbai preferably) ?
Cheers,
k36
Hi, you could also try
Simpson Racing - Simpson Child Seat
or contact info@autodrome.in for more information
Regards,
Harry

Old 22nd February 2010, 21:14   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
GTO these are moulded plastic clamps. When the break they cannot be repaired easily. One option isto change the seat location from left rear to right rear. Most seats offer clamps on both sides.

I believe it is safer to have the child in a seat with a working clamp in the right rear than in a seat with a broken clamp in the left rear (usually ed the safest seat in the car in RHD countries).

Bednjai, In a pinch "aradite" might help but the safety of the seat will be compromised. Like GTO recommended, it is safest to get a new seat. My wife and I got a Britax Marathon for our son in 2002.
Hi Navin. This particular model has only one clamp attached with a long cord so it can be used on both sides. I ruled out araldite since it would not be as good as the real thing. The seat per se is in perfect condition...only I cannot attach it to the seat for want of this clamp. What this clamp essentially does is to take up the slack in the seatbelt of the car and thus all I now need is a way to reduce the slack in the seat belt. Will take the car to Jhandewala or Karol Bagh in some time for some "jugad". Options are limited to getting a metal clamp with a wide face. Some people suggested cutting the seat belt and putting a buckle but that too would really compromise the safety of the entire system.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

I bought a combination car seat from MotherCare, Indira Nagar, Bangalore. Price Rs 6995/- (Mothercare Brand). This can be used from birth to 18 Kgs in the backward and forward facing direction.

I had checked out 2 shops in Bangalore and 1 in Trivandrum. This thread helped me make my purhase decision.

The sales man knew the features well. He spent lot of time demonstrating how to fit in the car. Overall I am happy with the purchase and would recommend Mothercare Indira Nagar.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:52   #160
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, I bought mine there too. Seville girl. But doesn't fit well in my honda city. fits well in the ford fusion though. Unfortunately there's not much choice in south India.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

The seat could be fixed properly in my Alto both in the forward and backward directions. Need to fix it in my father's Ford Fiesta.
Hope it fits
Old 29th March 2010, 10:35   #162
BANNED

^^ I too bought from Mother Care, Indira Nagar, Its cost Rs.11.495/-

here is picture and description: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1732001
Old 5th April 2010, 14:43   #163
Senior - BHPian

I was able to fix the child seat properly in Ford Fiesta also.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Forward facing or Rear facing child seat?

Before deciding whether we need forward-facing or rear-facing child seat, let's see the "pressure points" during a head-on collision:

1. Just under the stomach ('Lap' portion of belt)
Your body tries to move forward, but you are restricted by the 'Lap' portion of the belt. The 'Lap' portion of the belt puts pressure just under your stomach.
2. On your chest
Your body tries to move forward, but you are restricted by the 'Chest' portion of the belt. The 'Chest' portion of the belt puts pressure on your chest.
3. Most important point: Your neck
Your head tries to move forward, and your neck tries to resist. If the force of impact is large, or if your neck is not strong enough, your neck breaks.

The third point mentioned above is the BIGGEST reason for putting the child seat rear-facing (A child's neck is not strong enough).
Also, if the rear-facing child seat has enough cushioning, even the pressure mentioned in points 1 and 2 is greatly reduced because the child would be pressed against the child seat (and not against the belt) in the case of a head-on collision.

So, it is advisable to keep the child in a rear-facing seat as long as possible (till your child is too big/heavy for a child seat).

Till now, I was discussing about head-on collision. What about the situation where some vehicle hits your car from behind (rear-end collision)?
In this case, the impact is far less than the impact in a head-on collision, so it is anyway advisable to put the child seat as rear-facing.

Another common question: If you are putting the child seat rear-facing, should you put the child seat in the front seat or back seat?
Putting the child seat in the back-seat has the following advantages:
1. In the case of a head on collision, the rear-facing child seat (put in the back seat ) presses against the back of the front seat, adding to the cushioning effect.
2. For cars equipped with Passenger Air bag, the rear facing child seat (if put in the front seat) would be in the direct path of the inflating Air Bag.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 5th April 2010 at 18:13.
Old 5th April 2010, 19:10   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. For cars equipped with Passenger Air bag, the rear facing child seat (if put in the front seat) would be in the direct path of the inflating Air Bag.
Cars have the ability to turn off the passenger airbag to allow for appropriate use of child seats.

I don't recall the chapter or the verse on this now, but it is vital to consult both the manual for the car and the manual for the seat.

Failure to do so can actually increase the risk to your child's life

Before this became understood in Europe, children were killed by airbags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks