Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 17:03   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maven
Hi,

Where can I get child seats in Hyderabad? My kid is 1.5 years old.

Thx,
Chandra
Do you have shopper's stop or Mothercare there?
i find them the best place to pick up child seats.
You can also shop online on their website.
Also they are offering some great discounts right now, so make your purchase soon.
Good Luck!
Old 25th August 2011, 14:05   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

I just read this account on child deaths in cars in the US. It is horrendous to say the least, but it also emphasises on one important point to accept: our own responsibility and alertness, not just to our own car but to those around us.

I am sorry if this sounds bad, but I do peek into other cars at parking lots just to verify no one is inside.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?
Old 27th August 2011, 20:22   #213
Team-BHP Support

While checking on Anti-pinch windows feature for another Team-bhpian, I found this insane video clip. It’s quite stupid for the guy to get the kid as a test specimen. Irresponsible act indeed!

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th August 2011 at 20:24. Reason: text edited
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:04   #214
BHPian

With the advent of new cars in the Indian market, I would encourage readers to write about child safety features in these cars!
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:45   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
With the advent of new cars in the Indian market, I would encourage readers to write about child safety features in these cars!
Good point. For a start, it will be good to know which all cars on sale have ISOFIX mounts on the rear seat. I remember reading in VW website that the New VW Jetta has it.
Old 29th October 2011, 08:15   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Seat belts can cause sever injury to children. Never use a seat belt on a small child.

Children need to be in an age/weight appropriate car seat.

Unfortunately buses and public transport do not provide such a system.
But even in our please remember that seatbelts carry a risk of significant injury for children.
Good point – especially on the use of seat belts in cars. And I don’t expect safety systems to get common in public transport in near future. But that said, I feel school buses should have lap belts on all seats so that kids are secured in their seats.

Note: Quoted the comment here (as I thought this will be an appropriate place to have this discussion)
Old 29th October 2011, 09:53   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good point. For a start, it will be good to know which all cars on sale have ISOFIX mounts on the rear seat. I remember reading in VW website that the New VW Jetta has it.
I remember that before buying the Civic in 2008 i went to check out the Fabia. and at that time it came equipped with isofix mounts.
It was a true premium hatch indeed. I am not sure after the re-positioning of the brand whether this feature is still available?
Old 29th October 2011, 18:21   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I remember that before buying the Civic in 2008 i went to check out the Fabia. and at that time it came equipped with isofix mounts.
It was a true premium hatch indeed. I am not sure after the re-positioning of the brand whether this feature is still available?
IIRC, the isofix mounts are missing in the re-positioned Fabia. It will be good if Fabia owners can confirm this.
Old 29th October 2011, 19:38   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
IIRC, the isofix mounts are missing in the re-positioned Fabia. It will be good if Fabia owners can confirm this.
Does anyone know if the Polo/vento comes with ISOFIX mounts?
Old 30th October 2011, 17:06   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, this kind of restraint is what I had in mind for kids in buses. Something that would restrain them if the bus suddenly brakes, for instance.
BTW, how is it in school-buses in say US/EU ? How are small kids safely transported ? What restraint system is used ?
P.S.: My query was/is specifically about bus-travel, not kids belted-up in cars.
What I have seen in the school buses/vans here (in Singapore) are the simple lap belts. Its compulsory now (after an accident in which a kid was thrown out of the school van).
Here is a news bit which came up in a national channel website:
Ministry considers making seat belts on school buses compulsory - Channel NewsAsia
Old 12th January 2012, 07:58   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have 2 hyperactive kids and many a time I go out on short errands with them involving multiple stops with few minutes' work each; I tend to leave them in the car because my area is very sleepy and safe. However, I ALWAYS switch off and take my (normal) key with me in such cases. With a smart PEPS, it only needs an inquisitive touch and the car will start because I am in the shop a few metres away!
Saw this comment in a ‘what car’ thread, and I thought it’s appropriate to reply here. Even if it’s for a few minutes, please don’t leave the kids alone in the car. It’s a recipe for disaster. Thanks!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 00:07   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good point – especially on the use of seat belts in cars. And I don’t expect safety systems to get common in public transport in near future. But that said, I feel school buses should have lap belts on all seats so that kids are secured in their seats.

Note: Quoted the comment here (as I thought this will be an appropriate place to have this discussion)
I have not seen any seatbelts in school buses and rarely in buses, but the last time I travelled on one of those Airavat Volvo buses I realised that they had lap belts and actually used it for most of the journey. I happened to know someone who was in the same bus and sitting at the back so walked all the way to talk to him and realised that not one person in the entire bus used the lap belt, despite the fact that it is there for their safety

I only hope it does not take people dying for Indians to start taking safety seriously and using all the available safety features
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:29   #223
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Once I see a swift guy was driving really slow in a narrow street and there were quite a few folks queued up behined him, I somehow managed to overtake and I could see that he has his kid sitting on his lap and kid is holding the steering. I slowed down, rolled window down and quickly signaled that he is doig wrong. He felt offended so badly that I could see him shouting at me and showing his hand as if he is going to get down to hit me. I was in hurry and thought not to waste my time to deal with an idiot.

I usually send my kid to rear seat on highways and he always keeps complaining about it. However, we dont ask him to get buckled, because of his height the seat belt when put on comes at his neck level or above. Wondering what could be a best way for kids at this age for safe ride.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:48   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I usually send my kid to rear seat on highways and he always keeps complaining about it. However, we dont ask him to get buckled, because of his height the seat belt when put on comes at his neck level or above. Wondering what could be a best way for kids at this age for safe ride.
How old is your child? For kids aged 5 and up (about 15kg) the solution is so simple and elegent - just use a booster cushion!

See this for more details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ian-roads.html

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 3rd May 2012 at 13:50. Reason: Added link
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:53   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

As mentioned in the post above mine, please use a booster seat.

Remembers Newton's laws of motion. Any body will continue in the direction of movement..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks