Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 19:29   #16
BHPian

Re: To have a stone suddenly come in your path...

I had stone chips from a truck in front crack my windsheild on two occasions; once on Mumbai Pune expressway and recently in Hi Tech city road.
Old 9th April 2011, 22:57   #17
BHPian

Been there. Been Lucky. lesson learnt. Will always be grateful. and more careful. Not a lot of folks have any idea what a projectile can do. can change your life in a fraction of a second. Please drive defensively friends, I was lucky to push at my younger days and survive. But those days were different.
Old 13th April 2011, 17:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

I drove over a huge stone that was left by the lorry guys (one they keep under the tires to stop rolling) during night drive. It was on the Bangalore Salem 4 lane and stone was lying on the outer area of the left track. I was getting in to the left track after overtaking and would have been doing 120 and suddenly saw the stone, before I could act car ran over it. Thanks to stability of the Elantra, car stopped without any issues though the Front alloy was broken and the tubeless tyre went flat. Lost my brand new Michaeline tyre and alloy and pinched my pocket dearly.
Old 6th November 2011, 23:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Due to today's event, I have the unfortunate privilege of posting an experience on this thread!

So, we were cruising on SH25 (from Alwar - Bhiwadi en route Delhi); the highway is under construction at some places so at those, only 1 lane is operational.

Since both sides of traffic was only on 1 lane, all vehicles were ~40 km/hr. I was behind a truck maintaining about 10 ft. On an uphill climb, as soon as the truck moved over a patch, I saw a huge rock bang in the middle of the road. With a quick glance in the cabin mirror, I realized I'd be rear-ended if I jumped on the brakes. I tried to stop as quickly as possible yet gradually.

However, the low GC of our City meant it did go over the stone nevertheless. After a second or 2 of scraping noises, I finally stopped and the 1st thing that came to mind was the i20 thread! I got down and inspected the damage. I saw the stone and liquid over it. My worst fears were about to be true.

The car luckily rolled back by itself and I could asses the damage. On opening the hood, I found the liquid dripping from a small tube. Inspection of the under belly showed no major damage except a broken screw of the sump guard. I checked the spilled liquid for smell, colour and viscosity and realized it was just residue water from the compressor. A quick check with a A.S.S. mechanic on the phone and we were on the way.

It is funny.. no wait.. criminal the way the Govt. agencies fool around on the roads. What's worse is that nobody bothered to move the stone aside.

We were extremely lucky to come on the other side of that stone without major damages. It is high time people are accountable for the mess they create on the road.

The damn stone
To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-wp_000069.jpg

That's how it rolled back
To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-1.jpg

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-wp_000068.jpg

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-wp_000066.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th November 2011 at 23:21.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:06   #20
BHPian

My careless driving caused a bomb

03-10-2012 was an unfortunate day in my driving history. Usually i won't read this "Street Experiences and Accidents Pics" threads at start of the forum. I read something good and then follow these posts . I never really wanted write my experience in this thread (no offense). But it happened to me as well.

As usual I was going to my office by car from Thoraipakkam to Vadapalani. Just 300 meters before my office there was a manhole done by our well-honored corporation men which was left unclaimed/opened since last 10 days. This road was closed for four wheelers since a week. But they seems opened yesterday, but they did not remove the big stone which they kept as road blockers.

By mistake i did not at all see that big stone on my path and ran my car over it. That's it. My heart and car both got shocked. I heard a very loud noise, then i stopped my car on the middle and got down to check what has happened. Then only i came to know that i ran over the big stone which got stuck between the sub-frame and catalytic convertor. Both got damaged severely. Lot of people gathered and started advising me to revere the car. As i soon i started the car, the loud noise was increasing. I stopped and checked again.There was a small oil spill around the area. Hence, stopped this activity. And called the MPL ford, they sent tow truck in another 1.5 hour. They lift the car and removed the stone then towed to Saligramam MPL ford. They put on ramp and checked the damages. So far, they analyzed the following got damaged,
Catalytic converter
Sub frame
Oil dump (did not damage , but got a dent)
Looks like power steering pump damaged and oil spilled around. These are the visible damages so far.

I've raised the claim request to the Future generli and they don't have cashless claim in chennai. MPL ppl doing all formalities for the claim. Surveyor yet to visit. As per the estimation, i will get a car back only after 15 days it seems.

Any idea how much i need to pay from my pocket? and please share you opinions to proceed further. This is the first time i got a such experience and dealing with insurance. Please guide me
Attached Thumbnails
To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_104705_869.jpg  

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_123614_376.jpg  

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_123620_918.jpg  

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_123947_149.jpg  

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_123952_405.jpg  

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-20121003_123957_654.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 13:19   #21
BHPian

Re: My careless driving caused a bomb

I can understand how much you must be in looking at the damage.

But, what I cannot beileve/imagine is how you did not see such a big stone in the middle of the road!?

Sorry to say, but you only have yourself to blame sir.

Also did not understand the title! "caused a bomb"!
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:20   #22
BHPian

Bad luck.

Usually, in civilized countries, the well-honored corporation would pay for the damages, not the insurance.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
By mistake i did not at all see that big stone on my path and ran my car over it. That's it. My heart and car both got shocked. I heard a very loud noise, then i stopped my car on the middle and got down to check what has happened. Then only i came to know that i ran over the big stone which got stuck between the sub-frame and catalytic convertor. Both got damaged severely. Lot of people gathered and started advising me to revere the car. .
I've raised the claim request to the Future generli and they don't have cashless claim in chennai. MPL ppl doing all formalities for the claim. Surveyor yet to visit. As per the estimation, i will get a car back only after 15 days it seems.

Any idea how much i need to pay from my pocket? and please share you opinions to proceed further. This is the first time i got a such experience and dealing with insurance. Please guide me
Sorry to see this unfortunate incident happen to you. One way you could pacify yourself is that you are safe, and your machine is still very well in a repairable state. Plus, you do not have deal with third party pointing fingers at each other. Of course, you can blame the municipal corporation, but we all know what that is going to look like.

About the insurance, I'm surprised to hear that FG does not have cashless in Chennai! From my past experience with FG, things were smooth when the Pulsar took a hit. Not sure whether things have changed now. Or alternatively, is it that the Ford dealership that you deal with does not have a cashless tie-up with FG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I can understand how much you must be in looking at the damage.
I think you meant, how much PAIN right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Usually, in civilized countries, the well-honored corporation would pay for the damages, not the insurance.
That's a double whammy for rating the "civilization" factor of the municipal corporations here. I can only do one thing when I think of walking into a municipal corporation office with a claim like this -
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:59   #24
BHPian

Hi,

"Caused a bomb". Actually i meant that the expenses which i'm going to pay is purely because of my carelessness. Due to no cash claim option, I have to pay full sum to the service center and reimburse it from the Insurance company after submitting bills.

Also, all people asked me at the time of incident "How did you miss that big stone?". yes, I really missed it as i was about go straight, but seen the right side road is free and i turned my car immediately without noticing these stones.

I'm one of 5 victims of the same stone in last 1 day. But no one removed the stone from there. After this incident which caused lot of traffic (and severe damaged) now they removed the big stone and put some small pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
is it that the Ford dealership that you deal with does not have a cashless tie-up with FG?
No! I have personally checked with FG customer care and they confirmed that there is no Cashless claim garages in Chennai for FG. Strange but true. Even their Motor insurance website is also not working. Next time, surely i will go for Royal Sundaram or something else.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2012 at 16:32. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please refrain or next time infraction
Old 4th October 2012, 14:08   #25
BHPian

From the pics it seems like there is not much of a damage. Some bruises that's it. it wouldn`t cost you anything.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 14:13   #26
BHPian

Actually, those brushes are the big dents. Also, the MPL guys says that we need to replace Subframe (40k), Catalytic Convertor (28k) and Oil sump as well. I really don't know how the power steering blast and spilled the oil all around the bonnet.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
No! I have personally checked with FG customer care and they confirmed that there is no Cashless claim garages in Chennai for FG. Strange but true. Even their Motor insurance website is also not working. Next time, surely i will go for Royal Sundaram or something else.
I find it strange that you chose to have an Insurance with a company which does not have a cashless tie up with the Ford workshop. No point in blaming FG for the same.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I find it strange that you chose to have an Insurance with a company which does not have a cashless tie up with the Ford workshop. No point in blaming FG for the same.
True!! But Ford workshop had a tie-up with FG till some months ago. Due to the excessive outstanding with FG (a MPL version) , they have stopped doing the cashless with FG. Now they are doing only with RS.
Old 5th October 2012, 13:59   #29
BHPian

Well, it wasn't a stone that gave me the hibby-jibbies but rather a rolling truck tire and that too in intense fog. It happened a few years back, when I was following a truck doing decent speeds on a road shrouded with mist. I must have been doing around 40 Km/hr when I saw a round black mass gone haywire on the road about 5-10 meters right in front of me. Thanks to the slow speed & empty road I'd no issue dodging it and as soon as I was safe, I see the truck stopped and the helper running towards the runaway tire!
Old 9th October 2012, 16:20   #30
BHPian

I faced the similar issue around 3 yrs back. Was driving on eastern express highway, and all of a sudden one stone hit my windshield and the impact was so huge that it took toll of it, and due to which I was unable to see the road ahead of me. I just managed to control my vehicle. Somehow took the vehicle to MASS. They replaced the windshield in 3 days time (I claimed insurance). Again after merely about 10 days again on the same spot again one small pebble hit the spot and windshield broke. This time it just made hole. But the sound of that was scary. When i inspected the spot i learned that due to construction of foot over bridge between bhandup and mulund it might have occur. I was so upset with all this that i cannot express in words. Anyways according to mom if anything bad is going to happen it first take toll of glass. I dont know how true it is. But when contacted insurance agent he took me to one shop at milan subway where i got (So called original) windshield at 3200 INR. After that i sold my car for upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks