Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 21:23   #1
BHPian

To have a stone suddenly come in your path...

how many of you have been hit by a stone fallon from the dumper who is just ahead of you. or how many of you have to take a sharp turn when you spot a big pot hole in the middle of the road.
well today returing from my office , i was near pawai when the dumper which was just ahead of me,a big stone just falls down in front of my car, i would not react as the speed of my car was above 60km/hr. The stone was so big that my car gets stuck on the stone. the inpact is so much that my A/C xompressor gets dislocated. I park my car ( zen) at the side of the road and and open the bonet. nothing was visible accept the compressor.I proceed towards my home, but the car is not normal,there are lot of vibration and strange noise comming from engine. fearing worst, I proceed towards service station.They said they have to check and will inform me in the morning.
how many of you have faced this kind of accident when travelling in mumbai.

Team-BHP Support: There are several grammatical errors in this post. Kindly proof read in future before posting. Thanks for your co-operation.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2011 at 13:24.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:56   #2
BHPian

re: To have a stone suddenly come in your path...

This happened while i was working in South Africa.
Had punctured right front tyre on hitting a pothole at 120 kmph.
The wheel alignment was not right after this and i had swapped for another car shortly (its Rental)
Old 6th April 2011, 12:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: To have a stone suddenly come in your path...

Sorry to hear about the damage, Uday, though I'm glad no one was injured.

I've faced a similar situation once, while driving on the highway in my Esteem VX. There is an ST bus ahead of me, and another right behind behind. I'm maintaining a safe gap, all the more so because there was some highway construction work going on. Suddenly, the tyre of the ST bus in front goes over some loose rocks kept around the road, dislocates a particularly large one and places it right in front of me. There was no chance of swerving & avoiding as the road was narrow. Could have slammed on the brakes and probably stopped just before the stone. However, I was wary of the bus behind, and knew there was no way that his braking capability could match that of my Esteem. I had no choice but to gulp, and drive over the rock.

to how the Esteem took that impact. There was a loud "THUD, BOOM, BANG", but she still got us home safely with no difference in the way she drove. However, the flooring was badly bumped up (dislocated handbrake et al) and the fuel tank also needed a replacement.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

I have had similar experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As I was passing the bus, I came across one more blind curve... Blind curves in a fast four lane highway, where did these people learn road designing...
Anyway, the road was straightening and I suddenly noticed a truck about 300ft ahead literally lying on its side across my lane (right/fast lane), with its underbelly facing me. This was right in front of the Mysore road RTO. I was like...Ok, I can avoid that, let me allow the buses to go forward and then I can shift left. Then I suddenly see some people waving at me barely 50ft from me, and then I notice a few boulders placed across my lane just 50ft from where the curve straightens....
Old 6th April 2011, 12:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have had stones come in my Way,both times i was riding on my Zma.
And thankfully both times i survived without a fall,and both hits were taken at 110+km\hr.

Incident 1
Somewhere on NH-1 in 2006 i hit a stone,and ended up with a blown front tube of my Zma's tyre,rest everything was fine,it was after this i switched to tubeless tyre for the front.

Incident 2
While riding back from Agra,i ran into a decent sized one,on a curve.
According to the passers by,the bike did a decent jump,before landing on wheels,i was safe,did fell again.
This time the damage was decent,Front tubeless tyre burst,Broken Alloy rim,front mudguard,and a broken headlamp.

Last year,while i came across another but this time was driving the scorpio,thankfully,it was just about the size of its GC,so went over it without any damages.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Had my windscreen crack on the mysore road when a stone from the dumper ahead of me hit the car .

The reason : The dumper couldnt brake in time for one of the many unmarked speedbreakers on the Bangalore-Mysore highway!
Old 6th April 2011, 12:44   #7
BHPian

I was victim for a road hazard once, not stone but half of this while doing 90 kmph +.
To have a stone suddenly come in your path...-brake_drum.jpg

I lost my car to that piece of scrap. Details are mentioned in the long term ownership review of my GT (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2137049)
Old 6th April 2011, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Uday: In terms of personal injury you have been very very lucky.
See what happened to wife of my friend, about two years back.
Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror

JVLR stretch near Powai is notorious for such accidents.

Take care.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

I faced similar situation in Chennai. I was taking TD of Chevy Beat. The windshield of the car got hit by a small stone that fell from a truck ahead. Though the damage was minimal, I think the dealership had to change the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
We were at around 40kmph and a small grit fell from the truck carrying loads of it. It hit the wind screen, I ignored that and continued. But then I felt some murmuring between the sales person and the driver. I stopped on side and noticed a star like crack just behind the IRVM .
Old 6th April 2011, 14:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I faced similar situation in Chennai. I was taking TD of Chevy Beat. The windshield of the car got hit by a small stone that fell from a truck ahead.
Add me to the list. Faced the same situation.
Was driving Wagon-R behind a construction truck full of stones. On a pot hole one stone fell out of the truck, hit the road, bounced and reached the windshield, slammed and left with a minor crack

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2011 at 17:57. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 6th April 2011, 15:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Here you go
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ocks-road.html

Apart from that I have had rocks from a falling mountain hitting the windshield of the safari during a recent trip.
In the ladakh trip the drivers side got hit by small rocks, luckily no damage.

Apart from that I have had near misses with boulders rolling from mountainsides.

Once driving from Hyd to Bangalore at night I got temporarily blinded by a volvo, and as it passed I saw a parked truck on the side with rocks surrounding it covering more than half the road. After a long skid the indica stopped just a couple of feet short of the rocks.

Trucks are a big nuisance in this regard.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th April 2011 at 15:04.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:03   #12
BHPian

The front windscreen on my Opel had to changed 4 times in its life. Once when a stone the size of a clove of garlic hit my screen after being ejected from under the tyre of an Accent travelling in front of me. Once due to overhead construction material falling on the car (and taking the roof and rear glass with the front).
Old 6th April 2011, 15:05   #13
BHPian

I have had 2 such instances involving stones/boulders, but thankfully neither was too grave and neither caused any injuries to occupants :

1) Year 2001, I was merrily cruising through VIP Road, used to be a very pleasant stretch to drive back in those days, out of nowhere a concrete boulder, about the size of a generic 14" crt tv (could not think of anything else to compare) rolls onto the road right in front of me from the pavement. I apply the brakes as hard as i could and managed to avoid hitting it upfront. The rear end of the car wasn't so lucky though, as a Sumo crashed right into the rear causing substantial damage to the body and chassis. I found out that a couple of workers were trying to uproot a light post supported by a concrete base and the chunk came out from the base itself.

2) Year 2010. A small chunk of concrete falls from the underbelly of AJC Bose Road flyover onto the road beneath. Thankfully it was more like a meteor shower(small fragments). Caused minor paint peel offs on the roof of my car and a few others.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

I have encountered flying danger a couple of times on my bike.

Once a truck tire burst and rubber pieces flew back onto me. The tire just disintegrated into large chunks. I was doing close to 80 or so. I had to do some quick moves to avoid getting slammed.

A truck tire picked up a small stone and sent it flying into my helmet. Shattered my visor.

A bus nearing the city and all the passengers inside decided to throw out their empty water bottles and stuff. Luckily most of them were empty and given the heavy wind none hit me.
Old 6th April 2011, 22:03   #15
BHPian

well got my car today from MASS, The bill was not much as the.damage was less. I was billed 2000/- rs. Only my wheel alighment was gone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks