Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 09:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

1001 Jailed in delhi since Jan 2011 for driving while being drunk

1,001 jailed in Delhi for drunk driving, 44 for over 10 days - The Times of India

1001 people jailed since the beginning of 2011 in Delhi alone for drunken driving. A great drive. I hope this drive is taken up seriously in other cities as well.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:57   #2
BANNED

Re: 1001 Jailed in delhi since Jan 2011 for driving while being drunk

Awesome. They should get that points system too. Add points to license and confiscate if it goes beyond certain points.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic news. Thanks a lot for sharing.

As Spitfire said, I also hope they bring in that points systems and confiscate the license of these (would be)murderers on wheels.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good news.
I hope they extend this to at least the borders now.
Thats where most of the after hours booze is bought and drunk en-route.

I do agree on the license bit, and confiscation.
A night in the cooler though, should also be a good deterrent, eh?what with the stigma etc.
"arrey, did you hear, Mrs. sharma's son/husband spent the night in jail? hau....."
Old 20th April 2011, 11:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Awesome. They should get that points system too. Add points to license and confiscate if it goes beyond certain points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

As Spitfire said, I also hope they bring in that points systems and confiscate the license of these (would be)murderers on wheels.
Quoting from the article:
Quote:
Apart from risking jail, drunken driving can lead to suspension of the driving licence for anything between six months and a year. ``We have suspended the licence of 787 persons. If a driver is found guilty of drunken driving for a second time, we will cancel his driving licence," said a senior traffic officer. Also, several cars were impounded when the errant driver had no one else to drive his car back home.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why just Delhi? What about other cities? I know something is happening here, but nothing to act as a deterrent - more contributions to personal coffers to skip the arrest
Old 20th April 2011, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's great, fear of going behind the bars is the only deterrent for this menace is what I feel.
What do Bangalore police do when they catch someone driving with alcohol influence? Do they send the offenders to Jail like in Delhi or just take some bribe and leave the offenders?
Old 20th April 2011, 16:02   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

any stats of this kind on Bengaluru?
would really want to see whats up hereabouts too.

good to see some enforcement happening. but i wonder if it can be replicated successfully and consistently here.

Our poor Bengaluru police have had their teeth drawn out by successive waves of useless governments and useless bureaucrats.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:28   #9
BANNED

A friend of mine spent a night in Jail and was only released on bail for an amount of 1 Lac Rupees for Driving under influence of alcohol in Delhi.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@mustang: just for process knowledge's sake, what happen post this release on bail?
Old 20th April 2011, 17:49   #11
BANNED

I have no idea, he was just bragging about it at a social gathering, i did not meet him after this. Probably, it was just a fine but i have seen people in delhi get fined 30K-40K for drunk driving and then their driving licenses also suspended for a few months.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think this is quite strictly enforced in Kerala (the state with the highest consumption of alcohol in India). A lot of people drink and drive and for them it is quite natural. But if you are picked up, you will be directly taken for a blood test and to get bail you need at least two people who can come to the station to bail you out. The case will go to the court and you will have to pay the prescribed fine. So if you can get two people the same day/night, you can be out without spending the day/night at the station. So there is a lot of room for improvement - a compulsory stay in the jail. And most often, you cannot walk out of that loop by bribing.

Also it is for things like this that a unique identity number for each person is required. Such offences should show up against the person. And like in some of the other countries, a person's history can be looked up at times like offering a job, making a marriage alliance, starting a business partnership etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
@mustang: just for process knowledge's sake, what happen post this release on bail?
Usually a case is registered and the offender is produced in the court. A blood test is done and the result is produced in the court as evidence. The court determines the fine and the jail term (jail term is often waived off). So you comply with the order and the case is closed. The RTO/Traffic police, in addition to the court sentence, can suspend/cancel the driving license.

Last edited by pjbiju : 20th April 2011 at 18:03.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Really good initiative from Delhi Police!

Quote:
Quote:

Actually I remember there used to be a point system. My dad's licence had 1 to 8 marked in circles and the police was supposed to punch out the number after each offence. Also 6,7,8 marked circles were the last straw. Easy to implement.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good info, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I think this is quite strictly enforced in Kerala (the state with the highest consumption of alcohol in India). -------------------- The RTO/Traffic police, in addition to the court sentence, can suspend/cancel the driving license.
Biju, you seem to know the process pretty well eh? How come?

Spike
Old 20th April 2011, 19:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. But before this why not throw all the RTO's in Bay of Bengal and have a system in place where only who pass proper driving tests are issued DL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
A friend of mine spent a night in Jail and was only released on bail for an amount of 1 Lac Rupees for Driving under influence of alcohol in Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I have no idea, he was just bragging about it at a social gathering, i did not meet him after this. .
There you are. We Indians simply think the democracy means "Freedom to do whatever you like. If we get caught doing anything illegal then we can get free by either bribing or using contacts."

The driving penalties need to be rewritten and all offenders must be punished severely.

Also please read this

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/8037128.cms

But government does not do any thing

Last edited by akj53 : 20th April 2011 at 19:15. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks