Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:29   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Kashmir : Route Queries

I am planning a road trip from Delhi to Jammu, Srinagar, Pahalgam, Gulmarg and Sonamarg. The plan looks something like this

Day I - Delhi- Jammu (via Ambala, Ludhiana, Jallandhar and Pathankot)
Day II- Jammu Srinagar
Day III, and IV- Srinagar and around Srinagar
Day V- Gulmarg and return
Day VI - Sonamarg
Day VII Sonamarg - Pahalgam
Day VIII- return to Delhi via Jammu.

How does the plan look. The drive from Delhi to Jammu will be the longest stretch and I intend to make a night stop in Jammu. Would appreciate if anyone can provide the latest on the road conditions particularly on the Jallandhar-Pathankot-Jammu stretch and the Jammu-Srinagar stretch.

Any other issues like security that I need to be aware of?

Are there enough parking spots in Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg etc so that I can leave my car safely overnight in case I choose to live away from the road?

Are there any nice camping spots in or near Sonamarg and Pahalgam?

Any information appreciated
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Trip DELHI- KASHMIR

Why do you want to go via Jammu? You can go directly to Udhampur from Dyala Chak (Pathankot-Jammu road) and save yourself at least 40 kms and 2 hours in time.

If you leave early morning, you could push it to Udhampur.

Road widening is incomplete between Jalandhar and Pathankot and also in Pathankot-Jammu section. Traffic will be very high till Ludhiana.

No security issues except that I would suggest you maintain sedate speeds once you enter Kashmir and keep a watch out for any army check posts. Jawans patrolling the highway are very jittery once you cross Batote, and enter the Kashmir Valley at the Jwahar Tunnel.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:13   #3
BHPian

The road from Dyala Chak to Udhampur looks narrow and winding. Is it a good road and safe as I will be on it late evening probably.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
The road from Dyala Chak to Udhampur looks narrow and winding. Is it a good road and safe as I will be on it late evening probably.
Yes, it is narrow, but has reasonable level of truck traffic through it. Not heard of any safety issues. I have myself driven on that road between 6-9 pm and did not find it discomfiting. Saves you the bother of travelling through the densely populated region approaching Jammu (despite the bypass around Jammu).

The only problem is that if you are running late, there are no hotels between Pathankot & Udhampur in which case you may want to consider going straight on NH1A and stay in Jammu instead of going on till Udhampur.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 09:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, it is narrow, but has reasonable level of truck traffic through it. Not heard of any safety issues. I have myself driven on that road between 6-9 pm and did not find it discomfiting. Saves you the bother of travelling through the densely populated region approaching Jammu (despite the bypass around Jammu).

The only problem is that if you are running late, there are no hotels between Pathankot & Udhampur in which case you may want to consider going straight on NH1A and stay in Jammu instead of going on till Udhampur.
Will try and leave as early as possible from Delhi. I am hoping to make Udhampur but looks like will need to see the time of crossing Patankot to determine the time of arrival at Udhampur.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:01   #6
BHPian

re: Delhi to Kashmir : Route Queries

I plan to buy a Garmin GPS before I start my journey. Garmin supplies the 2010 India version of the map. Dies this map have all the roads of north including J&K?
Old 7th May 2011, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I plan to buy a Garmin GPS before I start my journey. Garmin supplies the 2010 India version of the map. Dies this map have all the roads of north including J&K?
I doubt it, many of the navigators have poor maps of that area
Old 9th August 2011, 15:30   #8
BHPian

I have also planned a trip to kashmir. The plan is
Day 1 - Gurgaon to Srinagar ...long drive
Day 2 - Roam around srinagar and head to pahalgam
Day 3 - Pahalgam
Day 4 - Pahalgam - Srinagar and than head to tangmarg
Day 5 - Tanmarg - Gulmarg
Day 6 - Tangmarg - Sonamarg - Srinagar
Day 7 - Srinagar - Gurgaon

I have already been to srinagar last year and aware of the route via dyala chak shortcut. i have few other queries
1. How is the road from anantnag to pahalgam
2. Due to road widening can i skip the highway NH1 and use some alternate route. I have heard about Ropar - Hoshiarpur. Can somebody describe in detail about route and road conditions and also on food availabilty on this section. is this section doable at night?
3. Road condition from ganderbal to sonamarg.

I will be using my ford fiesta for the trip.

Thanks for the help.
Old 9th August 2011, 22:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post
I have also planned a trip to kashmir. The plan is
Day 1 - Gurgaon to Srinagar ...long drive
Day 2 - Roam around srinagar and head to pahalgam
Day 3 - Pahalgam
Day 4 - Pahalgam - Srinagar and than head to tangmarg

I have already been to srinagar last year and aware of the route via dyala chak shortcut. i have few other queries
2. Due to road widening can i skip the highway NH1 and use some alternate route. I have heard about Ropar - Hoshiarpur. Can somebody describe in detail about route and road conditions and also on food availabilty on this section. is this section doable at night?

I will be using my ford fiesta for the trip.

Thanks for the help.
Hi Arjun,

The plan should be:

Day 1 - Gurgaon to Pahalgam
Day 2 - Pahalgam
Day 3 - Pahalgam to Srinagar
Day 4 - Srinagar to tangmarg

Why do you want to go to Srinagar on day 1 and then come back to pahalgam and then again Srinagar? From Anantnag, you have Srinagar on your left and Pahalgam on your right. Therefore you should directly go to Pahalgam and stay there for a couple of days. Once done then go to Srinagar.

Day 1 and Day 7 involves very hectic driving. It will require continous driving of more than 22 hours with more than 1 driver. Hope you are prepared for this?

If not prepared then I would suggest you to have a night halt at Patnitop. Its also a nice place to stay for a day atleast but you can stay at Patnitop in the night. Roam around the next monrning and start by 12 noon for Pahalgam.

- Good. But two lane only.

- Road widening is currently under progress at two sections:
I. Panipat - Jallandhar
II. Variuos sections between Jallandhar - Jammu

Alternate route can be taken after Ambala only. Two options:

Option 1:
Ambala --> Chandigarh --> Ropar --> Hoshiarpur --> Dasuya --> Pathankot --> Jammu

Option 2:
Ambala --> Banur --> Kharar --> Kurali --> Ropar --> Hoshiarpur --> Dasuya --> Pathankot --> Jammu

Option 2 should be chosen only in case you want to avoid Chandigarh cops. Apart form other points, they always try to stop outstation cars (especially Delhi & NCR registered ) between 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM at the very first red light after entering The City Beautiful. Take a call accordingly.

On this alternate route, roads are not very broad but are good since a part of this stretch has become TOLL road. Lots of dhabas on this route but dont open during nights. This is doable during the nights.

Here is the MapMyIndia link of this alternate route for you:

India Driving Directions, Maps of India and Local Business Search : MapmyIndia Maps=

No current idea about this route.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 23:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

a. The roads are mostly marked, though my mapsource isnt working - else i'd have confirmed on this road. Even if it isn't there is no option. Its not a regular village - in the hills there are mostly only ONE routes.

b. If you are disciplined, push to Kud/patnitop. A much nicer place and good food and you avoid the mayhem of jammu.

c. Ganderbal to sonamarg is the NH1 only, which is mostly in good shape. Infact, I went to pahalgam and gulmarg in feb 2010 and the roads were quite decent all around. You don't need to think so much.

PM the junta who're running garmin on their devices and have mapsource installed
Old 10th August 2011, 10:13   #11
BHPian

Thanks irish & Phamilyman.

I have done those 20-30 hours drive a number of times so it wont be a issue. I have been to srinagar-gulmar-sonamarg last year june but wanted a fresh update on roads.

Any special info from people in kashmir about the security details. I am supposed to arrive on 15Aug evening. would vehciles be allowed in city. Are there any special checks on the way.

Can somebody provide the info on this.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:43   #12
BHPian

Planning to go to Kashmir during winters, Any suggestions for best time to go their, specially snow fall. Will drive down in my Innova from Delhi to Kashmir. All suggestions welcome and any security updates.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:19   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Is June first-half a good time to do a roadtrip to Kashmir?

I am planning to do a roadtrip ex-Ranchi over 2 weeks:

Day 1: Ranchi - Allahabad/Kanpur
Day 2: Allahabad/Kanpur - Delhi
Day 3: Delhi - Katra
Day 4: Vaishno Devi Temple
Day 5: Buffer Day for Vaishno Devi Temple
Day 6: Katra - Srinagar
Day 7: Srinagar
Day 8: Srinagar - Gulmarg
Day 9: Gulmarg - Sonmarg
Day 10: Sonmarg - Srinagar - Pahalgam
Day 11: Pahalgam - Aru - Chandanwari - Anantnag
Day 12: Anantnag - Udhampur
Day 13: Udhampur - Delhi
Day 14: Delhi - Allahabad
Day 15: Allahabad - Ranchi

Kindly suggest me if any changes are to be made to the plan. Thanks in advance
Old 20th August 2015, 18:55   #14
BHPian

Friends,

For my Leh trip, I will be going via Srinagar. The route I intend to take is:

1. Delhi - Pathankot (night halt)
2. Pathankot - Srinagar.

I have 2 questions:

1. From Delhi should I take the Delhi> Karnal> Ambala> Ludhiana> Jalandhar>Pathankot route? Or is there a better route?

2. For Pathankot- Srinagar should I go via Jammu (by-pass) or should I take a right at Samba and go via Buttal and Pingar directly to Udhampur?

P.S. I will be doing this on a motorcycle.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Sting
Old 5th May 2018, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Pathankot to Udhampur.

Which route is advisable?
ROUTE 1 OR ROUTE 2?

Is it necessary to go Udhampur via Jammu? How is the route 1? It says it will save my 50km and 2 hours. Will It? Please suggest the shortest route, time and distance wise.

Delhi to Kashmir : Route Queries-r1.jpg
Delhi to Kashmir : Route Queries-r2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks