Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 09:54   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My apologies - it is Kulti (pardon me for the typo).
No issues at all Sir, the information was valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Gangtok in JUne - totally avoidable. Raining like hell, landslides all over Sikkhim, nothing much to do since even the road to Nathu la & North SK gets closed down often.
My worst fears come true. I thought, I may catch the last leg of the 'travel-able' season to the NE. But after your advice, I will better postpone the program. May be sometime later this year.

Thanks a lot Sir, for answering my queries so patiently.

Best Regards,
Saket
Old 30th November 2013, 11:44   #137
BHPian

Toll Collection to start on Rohini Road in Darjeeling from December 1 2013. This road is used to go to Darjeeling from Siliguri via Kurseong. With NH55 still closed for traffic since 2010, Rohini road has been the pick for drivers going to Kurseong and Darjeeling.

Pankahabari road is also being widened and the news report mentions that once that road is complete, toll will be collected from there as well.

Rates are as follows one way:

Bikes: Rs 10
Taxis: Rs 30
Private Vehicle: Rs 40
Bus: Rs 80
Luxury Vehicles (Private and Taxi): Rs 100
Pick Up Vans: Rs 50
Trucks: Rs 80.

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc05855.jpg

http://epaper.telegraphindia.com/pap...2013-1002.html

Last edited by amrisharm : 30th November 2013 at 11:53.
Old 12th January 2014, 21:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

Ranchi-Siliguri Route and Accommodation Query

I am planning to cover Ranchi to Siliguri in car sometime in Feb-Mar. I plan to cover the distance with a night stay enroute.

I have planned to take Ranchi-Hazaribagh-Nawada-Begusarai on NH-31 and stay for night at Begusarai.

Next day I plan to take Begusarai-Purnia-Islampur-Siliguri on NH-31.

I wish to know from fellow members:-

1. Is the route planning correct?

2. How is the route condition?

3. Suggestions for night stay.

4. Approximate travel time for the route.

PS : I am open to change in route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:01   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ranchi-Siliguri Route and Accommodation Query

Ping the Encyclopedia of Indian Roads: Mr. HVK for your query. He can advice you with the best route.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 23:14   #140
BHPian

Car washing facility at Darjeeling

Friends,
Had been to Darjeeling recently. Just wish to inform all the members that if you ever find your car dirty at Darjeeling and need a wash of your car and can not locate a car washing guy nearby, you may consider driving towards Batasia loop. Batasia loop is an important landmark on the main (Hill Cart) road. This car wash facility is located approximately 200-250 meters short of the Batasia loop (on the Darjeeling side) and is definitely well visible.

The advantage which I find useful of this place is that you may drive to this place with your family in the morning, order some food in one of the several restaurants located below the viewpoint in Batasia loop and while your family is waiting for the food to be prepared and served, you may deposit your car and return back. You may even spend the waiting time viewing the beauties of the Himalayas from the Batasia loop, while your car is cleaned and washed (though I went to this place on the previous day and made a prior booking). They also use only genuine 3M products and are meticulous in their jobs.

On the other hand, these guys have no parking facility. Actually the narrow gauge Darjeeling Himalayan Mountain Railway just passes from the front and you should not park your car there. They did not even clean the engine bay (possibly as water is scarce in Darjeeling) and was slightly more expensive than the ASC in my locality. The phone number given at the signboard in the front did not exist and they also did not open up before ten O' clock.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 16:15   #141
BHPian

I wish to upload couple snaps taken during my trip last year. It's of the landslide which occurred couple of years ago, eventually cutting off the main transit route to Darjeeling, i.e. Hill cart road NH-55 (Siliguri to Darjeeling, via Kurseong.

Buses / Trucks used to ply on this route earlier, as these roads are much wider & is considered a safe roout to ply in comparison to Pankhabari route or even the present Rohini route.

The point of landslide is near Mahanadi after crossing Tindharia & Gayabari, this also led to the closing down of the Toy train service between NJP to Darjeeling which was a major tourist attraction. Authorities are now trying to repair these roads & railways in particular want this to be completed asap to resume their iconic service.
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc06363.jpg  

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc06362.jpg  

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc06361.jpg  

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc06359.jpg  

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-dsc06360.jpg  

Old 14th June 2014, 11:22   #142
BHPian

Just adding to the above story of the landslide on NH 55. This stretch which falls between Siliguri and Kurseong has been shut since June/July 2010. And finally in June 2014, which is exactly 4YEARS after the road closed, there is some good news:

"The Darjeeling Cronicle team on behalf of its readers and the people of Darjeeling sends a warm shout out to the Darjeeling Truck Drivers Association [DTDA] for their concentrated efforts, repeated appeals, requests and petitions regarding fixing the National Highway - 55, which had been shut since 2010.

We are glad to share the news that the National Highway Authority of India has released a statement which says that if all goes well the NH - 55 will be reopened in another 10 to 15 days. "

Source: https://www.facebook.com/TheDarjeeli...cle?ref=stream

This section is a very scenic part of the NH55. There is usually less traffic too as only trucks and busses use this Highway. Private cars and Taxi UV's usually take other shorter and faster routes of Rohini and Pankhabari Roads. This road is also recommended for new drivers to the hills as this is not as steep as the other roads. So if you are going to be in the hills of darjeeling soon, you all now will hopefully also have the option of taking NH 55 to Darjeeling.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 01:41   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
We are glad to share the news that the National Highway Authority of India has released a statement which says that if all goes well the NH - 55 will be reopened in another 10 to 15 days."
Really a very good news. I surely hope that all lovers of the Darjeeling town will be benefited from it. It possibly also means that we shall soon see toy trains running all the way.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:47   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Just adding to the above story of the landslide on NH 55. This stretch which falls between Siliguri and Kurseong has been shut since June/July 2010. And finally in June 2014, which is exactly 4YEARS after the road closed, there is some good news:

We are glad to share the news that the National Highway Authority of India has released a statement which says that if all goes well the NH - 55 will be reopened in another 10 to 15 days. "
Hi, I understand that the road is currently being opened only for restoring train services & not for the general traffic
Old 26th June 2014, 16:51   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Hi, I understand that the road is currently being opened only for restoring train services & not for the general traffic

Here is a quote from the local paper :-

"Siliguri, June 18: The state public works department has said repair of the landslide-affected stretch along NH55 at Paglajhora was over and it will be reopened for light vehicles in 10 days."

http://www.telegraphindia.com/114061...p#.U6wBsZRdXfI
Old 26th June 2014, 17:03   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a quote from the local paper :-

"Siliguri, June 18: The state public works department has said repair of the landslide-affected stretch along NH55 at Paglajhora was over and it will be reopened for light vehicles in 10 days."

http://www.telegraphindia.com/114061...p#.U6wBsZRdXfI
Thanks for the update but as per the article there is some repair work being carried out at Tindharia too & I quote the last para :-

"The Union ministry of road transport and highways sanctioned Rs 83 crore for repairing the damaged stretch at Tindharia. Mondal said the repair at Tindharia was going on and the PWD wanted to reopen the stretch in February 2015."

Does this mean the entire route will only be restored by Feb 15?
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 18:28   #147
BHPian

I have come down from Darjeeling just yesterday. There is a section still missing from the Hill cart road. There is a section around 200 mts. of road missing yet. You need to drive on the train tracks for that part to be able to come down. since you need to drive along on the tracks, It is not at all passable for vehicles with low ground clearance.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:40   #148

We are planning to go to Gangtok from Ranchi in May 1st week in swift .We will be starting from Ranchi at around 1 PM and planning to reach Bhagalpur at day end . Kindly comment on the following route plan and suggest any alternate route if found better.

Ranchi-koderma-nawada-aliganj-lakhisarai-munger-bhagalpur
Old 18th January 2019, 14:23   #149
BHPian

Any recommendations for a good taxi service in Darjeeling?

We are a group of 6, we need a Toyota Innova as a taxi for 3 days next week.

Will need airport transfers and 2 day sightseeing in and around darjeeling
Old 15th June 2021, 18:57   #150
BHPian

How are Darjeeling and Gangtok in the last week of June? Will it be raining all the time?

Most Viewed