Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 01:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Bhubaneswar to Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Among roads missing, the road from Jorethang in south Sikkim to Darjeeling is also missing.
I do not know have any idea about the road from Darjeeling to Jorethang but I had been to Jorethang from Pelling just a couple of weeks ago. The road is not very good. Please see these two pictures.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-074.jpg  

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-076.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4640 : 6th June 2011 at 01:31.
Old 6th June 2011, 06:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure, but you may have strayed on to a very un-used section, which has been replaced by a different route. Were the Mahindra Maxx jeeps using this route??

Because I dont remember any such section, the the pics above seem to show that roads have not existed there for a few years at least.

Was this a very short section?? Or were the roads like this for quite some time. At times some sections which experience landslides are not repaired and just left in the above condition.

Overall I was very satisfied with the roads all over Sikkim. Of course roads in North Sikkim are non-existent in many places, but South Sikkim is generally very good.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

I also agree with julupani, the Jorethang-Pelling road is a proper surfaced road, this one you used looks like some alternative route.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I also agree with julupani, the Jorethang-Pelling road is a proper surfaced road, this one you used looks like some alternative route.
Dear HVK Sir, At present the road is not very good in between Jorethang and Pelling. At least a 10KM stretch of the road before entering the town of Legship is bad, due to much usage of the heavy vehicles of a hydroelectric power project coming up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I am not sure, but you may have strayed on to a very un-used section, which has been replaced by a different route. Or were the roads like this for quite some time. At times some sections which experience landslides are not repaired and just left in the above condition.
Overall I was very satisfied with the roads all over Sikkim. Of course roads in North Sikkim are non-existent in many places, but South Sikkim is generally very good.
You are correct. It was my fault. I should have mentioned that this was not the main road. It was indeed a sparingly used road. The picture was taken at a place near Borong. This place is close to Ravangla and I drove through this place while going from Pelling to Gangtok. And as you have said correctly, The roads leading to the major tourist destinations are good. Please see a picture of me, standing on the nice road between Siliguri and Gangtok.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-021.jpg  

Old 7th June 2011, 07:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Siliguri to Gangtok, ie the NH31A is under BRO control, and is called the lifeline of Sikkim, and is almost always in superb condition. It is after all pretty much the only major transport connection of Sikkim to the rest of India.

But even other than that large sections of road in South and West Sikkim, not under BRO, are also in very very good condition. And this is not just the case with major tourist destination, but even off beat roads, are in more than decent shape. Most of the minimal roads in less inhabited areas like North and East Sikkim, are under BRO control and are also in decent shape. But in these areas, heavy army traffic causes a sort of seasonal destruction of roads.
Old 21st June 2011, 23:48   #66
Team-BHP Support

A small up-date :

The speed-breakers about which I cried for throughout in this thread, no longer need to be tackled in your low slung Car.

The fly-over adjacent to it is functioning by passing the monstrous jams & speed-breakers.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:12   #67
BHPian

Update on the roads in the hills, lots of small landslides happening at the moment. Very surprising as this is just the 1st week of the monsoons.

NH 31A connecting sikkim is constantly being disrupted by landslides, but since it is under control of the BRO they do clear it up in a few hrs (3-4 hrs) But still long waits and delays.

NH55 or the roads to darjeeling from siliguri are witnessing small landslides. Especially on the Rohini Road. But they are being cleared up quite fast, so though roads are not closed, there are huge delays in getting to any destination in the hills.
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Well, I think we should start referring to the National Highways by their new numbers now, as slowly many places a change in numbering is seen.

The new numbers in this case are, NH31A to NH10 and NH55 to NH110.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:15   #69
BHPian

Please help, for the route clarification from Bhubaneswar to Darjeeling; just to give an insight. I am planing a trip from Hyderabad to Darjeeling. This is what I thought the route should look like (Google map) and i see there are lot of discussion on different route. I have a family (wife and two kids) with me and intend to drive less than 600 KM in a day. I am in no rush to reach any destination and would probably take a rest for day if i feel tired at any location. I will be driving all by myself. I have done driving from Hyderabad to Cochin couple of times which is covered in two days.

1. Day One : Hyderabad to Vizinagaram (659 KM) ( I might even halt before this, if i come across a good place of stay.
2. Day Two : Vizniagaram to Bhubaneswar (390 KM)
3. Day Three : see Puri, Konark (spend day or two in Bhubeneswar)
4. Day Four : Bhubeneswar to Durgapur (472 KM)
5. Day Five: Durgapur to Darjeeling (565 KM)
6. Day Six : stay in Darjeeling or any other place which is good for 4-5 days
7. Gangtok: Darjeeling to Gangtok(100KM)
8. If I have the energy will drive to Bhutan.
9. Else check with members better place in the area to see and stay

I have more questions to come on places to stay etc, please help me with this relevant section. The road from Hyderabad to Vizinagaram I am told is superbly good. The idea is to drive less than 10 Hours in a day

Last edited by ajitsank : 10th February 2012 at 20:17.
Old 12th February 2012, 11:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Please help, for the route clarification from Bhubaneswar to Darjeeling; just to give an insight. I am planing a trip from Hyderabad to Darjeeling. This is what I thought the route should look like (Google map) and i see there are lot of discussion on different route. I have a family (wife and two kids) with me and intend to drive less than 600 KM in a day. I am in no rush to reach any destination and would probably take a rest for day if i feel tired at any location. I will be driving all by myself. I have done driving from Hyderabad to Cochin couple of times which is covered in two days.

1. Day One : Hyderabad to Vizinagaram (659 KM) ( I might even halt before this, if i come across a good place of stay.

I have more questions to come on places to stay etc, please help me with this relevant section. The road from Hyderabad to Vizinagaram I am told is superbly good. The idea is to drive less than 10 Hours in a day
Hi there, the trip should be a fantastic one! I live in siliguri, Dist. Darjeeling so just want to give you info on the day 5 plan. Driving from Kolkata to Siliguri usually takes about 14-15 hrs during the day and maybe about 12-14 hrs during the night. From Siliguri it is another 4 hrs to darjeeling. i dont know exactly how many hours it may take from Durgapur to Darjeeling, but I am 110% sure it will not be possible Under 15 hrs. Plus the last 4 hrs of your journey will be driving on mountain roads. So I would suggest you break this journey into 2.

Updating you on the roads from siliguri to Darjeeling:

1) NH55 from Siliguri to darjeeling has been closed for the last 1.5 years.

2) Rohini road to darjeeling is closed due to repair and will be closed till April.

3) Pankhabari road to darjeeling is open, but this road is very steep and very narrow. It is not recommended for new drivers. 50% of the this road is too narrow for 2 cars to pass so you need to know when to stop to give pass, otherwise be prepared to get some harsh words thrown at you from passing drivers.

4) Siliguri-mirik-darjeeling road. This is the road most taxi operators are using these days, Though longer, its the road best for you as the gradient is acceptable and its quite wide in most places.. The govt has directed all upward taxi traffic to use this road until Rohini road is repaired. Do ask around for this road when you arrive in Siliguri.

If you need any info feel free to ask, and do check the routes out on google maps. By the way, what vehicle are you driving in?

Last edited by amrisharm : 12th February 2012 at 11:19.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 13:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi there, the trip should be a fantastic one! I live in siliguri, Dist. Darjeeling so just want to give you info on the day 5 plan. Driving from Kolkata to Siliguri usually takes about 14-15 hrs during the day and maybe about 12-14 hrs during the night. From Siliguri it is another 4 hrs to darjeeling. i dont know exactly how many hours it may take from Durgapur to Darjeeling, but I am 110% sure it will not be possible Under 15 hrs. Plus the last 4 hrs of your journey will be driving on mountain roads. So I would suggest you break this journey into 2.

Updating you on the roads from siliguri to Darjeeling:

1) NH55 from Siliguri to darjeeling has been closed for the last 1.5 years.

2) Rohini road to darjeeling is closed due to repair and will be closed till April.

3) Pankhabari road to darjeeling is open, but this road is very steep and very narrow. It is not recommended for new drivers. 50% of the this road is too narrow for 2 cars to pass so you need to know when to stop to give pass, otherwise be prepared to get some harsh words thrown at you from passing drivers.

4) Siliguri-mirik-darjeeling road. This is the road most taxi operators are using these days, Though longer, its the road best for you as the gradient is acceptable and its quite wide in most places.. The govt has directed all upward taxi traffic to use this road until Rohini road is repaired. Do ask around for this road when you arrive in Siliguri.

If you need any info feel free to ask, and do check the routes out on google maps. By the way, what vehicle are you driving in?

Thanks I drive a Swift ZXI . Yes it is a Petrol. Please help me on this If i need to take a break in between Durgapur and Darjeeling, where would you suggest I halt.
Old 12th February 2012, 13:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks I drive a Swift ZXI . Yes it is a Petrol. Please help me on this If i need to take a break in between Durgapur and Darjeeling, where would you suggest I halt.
I am a big fan of petrol engines, I have had 3 cars in my lifetime all petrol . About where to stay. Well I have never driven on the Kolkata Siliguri route, i usually fly or train it. But I have heard from my friends as well as on this forum of a place in Malda called "Hotel Golden park"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-trip-2.html

I guess this would be the best option for you.

Also My recommendation is for you to pre-book your hotel in darjeeling. If possible set out from malda early in the morning and try to reach Siliguri before 1-2pm. Then head towards Darjeeling via Mirik rd. That way you will be able to drive to Darjeeling during day time and can enjoy the views as you drive. Also it will be a lot easier negotiating the twisty roads during the day time.

You say you have time on your hands, well do check out "Mirik" on google and see if you would like to stop there as well for a night. You have a nice lake, and a famous monastery there that can serve as sight seeing points. A perfect short stop-over place in my opinion.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 16:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Vizianagaram is not on NH5, and it is pointless to take a detour. I would stop over in Vizag which has excellent hotels, and I would recommend you stay at either of the APTDC hotels, the one off Vizag beach itself or the other (better) at Rushikonda Beach just 5 kms off Vizag.

Quote:
I would target Puri - and for this I can turn off NH5 at Khurda - instead of BHubaneswar. In case you are looking at a circuit there (1 day), you can do Puri-Konarak-Satapada (Chilka Lake). However, I think 3 days in that area would be an over-kill. I would suggest you try to do the first leg of the run to North Bengal as fast as possible and break journey at Bhubaneswar/Puri on the return journey so that you can plan your time better.

Quote:
Durgapur is not on your route, since you turn off NH2 at Darjeeling More before Durgapur itself.
Please take only the following route:
Bhubaneswar-Baleswar-Jaleshwar-Kharagpur (bypassed)-Kolaghat-Calcutta (bypassed at Dankunni)-Durgapur Expressway-Bardhaman (bypassed)-Panagad-Darjeeling More (where you turn off Durgapur expressway).
Please DO NOT take the route suggested in Google Maps i.e. Kharagpur-Midnapur-Bishnupur-Durgapur which is a terrible road.
Unless you leave very early, it will be quite difficult to reach Malda before end of the day. I would suggest you think of staying at Rampurhar (Darjeeling More-Illam Bazar-Siuri-Rampurhat-Nalhatti-Morgram-Farakka-Malda), which has got good hotels.
In Malda, Hotel Golden Park is a good place to stay, although it is quite expensive. You can take the Malda city bypass to reach this hotel which is in the north end to avoid going through the Malda city.

Quote:
Durgapur region/Rampurhat-Siliguri-Darjeling is doable, but make sure you leave very early - there can be lots of fog if you reach Darjeeling late evening. Worst case scenario you can stay at Siliguri in case you run very late. Be prepared for traffic jams at Dalkola town.

Quote:
My personal opinion - I think Darjeeling is at best a 1-day trip! I would suggest you go on to Kalimpong which is off the road to Gangtok & also take a drive from there to Lava. IN case that does not appeal to you, I would spend that many more days in Sikkhim.

Quote:
Sikkhim is worth 3-5 days depending on the circuit you take:
Nathu la - 1 day to & fro (be prepared for snow blockades occasionally, in any case you will not be allowed to take your own car)
Gangtok & around - 1 day
West Sikkhim - 2 days, on the way out of Sikkhim, to cover Rabangla, Tashiding, Yakshum, Kechopari & Pemayanste/Pelling.

Bhutan - to drive from Gangtok to the border town of Phuntsoling, allow for minimum 5 hours. Plan to leave some place in Sikkhim (like Pelling) post lunch so that you reach the border before nightfall. Next day morning (not on Sat & Sun), obtain your visit permits & car permits and proceed to Thimphu. So that marks 1.5 days to reach Thimphu. After tat, how you plan the drive - 3 days or 6 days - depends on your visit list. You can do Thimphu, Paro & Punakha in 3 days. But if you want to drive across to East Bhutan, then allow for 3 days just to reach the town of Trashigang and for return via Rangiya, Guwahati, allow for 2 more days to reach back in Siliguri. Therefore, Bhutan means a minimum of 5-10 days extra.

Quote:
Lots of places to stay. AVoid advance bookings, but research places available.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 22:16   #74
BHPian

Does this look good;

Day 1 : Hyderabad-Vizhakapatnam (Stay @ Vizhakapatnam)
Day 2: Vishakapatanam - Puri (Stay @ Puri)
Day 3: @ Puri (Puri, Konark, Chilka lake)
Day 4: Puri - Rampurhut (stay @ Rampurhut)
Day 5: Rampurhut - Darjeeling (stay @ Darjeeling)
Day 7 or 8 : Sikkim/Gangtok and other place.

Would you know any decent hotels to stay @ Rampurhut & Puri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Vizianagaram is not on NH5, and it is pointless to take a detour. I would stop over in Vizag which has excellent hotels, and I would recommend you stay at either of the APTDC hotels, the one off Vizag beach itself or the other (better) at Rushikonda Beach just 5 kms off Vizag.

I would target Puri - and for this I can turn off NH5 at Khurda - instead of BHubaneswar. In case you are looking at a circuit there (1 day), you can do Puri-Konarak-Satapada (Chilka Lake). However, I think 3 days in that area would be an over-kill. I would suggest you try to do the first leg of the run to North Bengal as fast as possible and break journey at Bhubaneswar/Puri on the return journey so that you can plan your time better.

Durgapur is not on your route, since you turn off NH2 at Darjeeling More before Durgapur itself.
Please take only the following route:
Bhubaneswar-Baleswar-Jaleshwar-Kharagpur (bypassed)-Kolaghat-Calcutta (bypassed at Dankunni)-Durgapur Expressway-Bardhaman (bypassed)-Panagad-Darjeeling More (where you turn off Durgapur expressway).
Please DO NOT take the route suggested in Google Maps i.e. Kharagpur-Midnapur-Bishnupur-Durgapur which is a terrible road.
Unless you leave very early, it will be quite difficult to reach Malda before end of the day. I would suggest you think of staying at Rampurhar (Darjeeling More-Illam Bazar-Siuri-Rampurhat-Nalhatti-Morgram-Farakka-Malda), which has got good hotels.
In Malda, Hotel Golden Park is a good place to stay, although it is quite expensive. You can take the Malda city bypass to reach this hotel which is in the north end to avoid going through the Malda city.

Durgapur region/Rampurhat-Siliguri-Darjeling is doable, but make sure you leave very early - there can be lots of fog if you reach Darjeeling late evening. Worst case scenario you can stay at Siliguri in case you run very late. Be prepared for traffic jams at Dalkola town.

My personal opinion - I think Darjeeling is at best a 1-day trip! I would suggest you go on to Kalimpong which is off the road to Gangtok & also take a drive from there to Lava. IN case that does not appeal to you, I would spend that many more days in Sikkhim.

Sikkhim is worth 3-5 days depending on the circuit you take:
Nathu la - 1 day to & fro (be prepared for snow blockades occasionally, in any case you will not be allowed to take your own car)
Gangtok & around - 1 day
West Sikkhim - 2 days, on the way out of Sikkhim, to cover Rabangla, Tashiding, Yakshum, Kechopari & Pemayanste/Pelling.

Bhutan - to drive from Gangtok to the border town of Phuntsoling, allow for minimum 5 hours. Plan to leave some place in Sikkhim (like Pelling) post lunch so that you reach the border before nightfall. Next day morning (not on Sat & Sun), obtain your visit permits & car permits and proceed to Thimphu. So that marks 1.5 days to reach Thimphu. After tat, how you plan the drive - 3 days or 6 days - depends on your visit list. You can do Thimphu, Paro & Punakha in 3 days. But if you want to drive across to East Bhutan, then allow for 3 days just to reach the town of Trashigang and for return via Rangiya, Guwahati, allow for 2 more days to reach back in Siliguri. Therefore, Bhutan means a minimum of 5-10 days extra.

Lots of places to stay. AVoid advance bookings, but research places available.
Old 12th February 2012, 22:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this look good;

Day 1 : Hyderabad-Vizhakapatnam (Stay @ Vizhakapatnam)
Day 2: Vishakapatanam - Puri (Stay @ Puri)
Day 3: @ Puri (Puri, Konark, Chilka lake)
Day 4: Puri - Rampurhut (stay @ Rampurhut)
Day 5: Rampurhut - Darjeeling (stay @ Darjeeling)
Day 7 or 8 : Sikkim/Gangtok and other place.

Would you know any decent hotels to stay @ Rampurhut & Puri.
Yes, the above drive plan looks doable. Gives you a welcome break during a long journey at Puri.

Lots of hotels in Puri on the sea face. I have stayed only in the OTDC Panth NIvas which is a dismal-looking place but in an excellent location - on the beach itself.

Rampurhat I have never stayed in - but also has many hotels.
I found this good-looking (and reasonably priced) Hotel Sonar Bangla at Tarapith which is just 5 kms off the NH60 before Rampurhat.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks