Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 17:17   #121
BHPian

Re: Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Just while I was contemplating perhaps to commit the greatest mistake you saved me!! I was falling back to NH34 all through. I have an open itinerary just as your's, I'm slowly finalizing it.

I've not yet booked any lodges, will need to decide on that soon! What's your opinion?

I'll fall back to Route 1 - Bhagalpur

I'll drive through Rohini Road, in case I start with Kurseong. Which car your were driving?

I'm planning to take NH31C all the way up to Kalimpong then to Gangtok!

I got some updates that the road between Pattabari and Dumka were not good, in fact non-existent in certain parts (I think this part is between messenjore and Dumka). May be its been patched up recently! your timing on return leg was really good!

This update really will help me to finalize the trip now! I'll start concentrating beyond Siliguri!

I think it is best to book through their website - http://www.westbengaltourism.gov.in.

There are sections of road around Dumke which are in bad shape, terrible in fact, BUT all the bad sections along this route put end to end will be shorter and better than the stretch between Nalhati and Moregram.

The stretch you are referring to is about 3-4 kms long and is navigable if you drive along one shoulder and sections of the tarmac are still intact unlike Moregram where there is no tarmac at all.

Mainak Tourist Lodge is placed very conveniently for persons reaching Siliguri by car. It is perhaps 100 meters off the highway, so there is no need to enter the city, and they have a secure parking.

I think you should also look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ng-nh34-4.html before finalizing your itinerary.

Last edited by noidea : 29th October 2012 at 17:25.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:54   #122
BHPian

Hi,

I am in Vizag now and am currently starting to Siliguri with a night halt near Kolkata. I am still confused on the road to take to Siliguri from Kolkata somewhere near Howrah. I saw many updates on other threds. Any final recommendations?
Old 30th October 2012, 20:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Current consensus seems to be the Bhagalpur route.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th October 2012, 22:15   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post

Mainak Tourist Lodge is placed very conveniently for persons reaching Siliguri by car. It is perhaps 100 meters off the highway, so there is no need to enter the city, and they have a secure parking.
This is the one that we take too, rooms have been renovated, looks good, but all the time we have been there, one room (we usually book 3) will have a non functional AC (even if its brand new!), so its best to get that checked upfront. Besides this the food/service leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:46   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
I think you should also look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ng-nh34-4.html before finalizing your itinerary.
Thanks! NoIdea that thread is poured in with latest info.
Old 19th December 2012, 16:30   #126
BHPian

So are Darjeeling and Gangtok doable in an average hatchback from Siliguri (mountain drive)? Or it would be a big mistake to take anything else than a 4X4?
Old 19th December 2012, 20:38   #127
BHPian

I was driving an INNOVA but I suppose there should be NO issues with a regular hatchback.

4X4 will be an over kill in my opinion because the roads are good and not very steep, if you avoid Pankhabari road.

As they say, if you can negotiate the PANKHABARI road you can tackle all mountain roads.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:20   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
So are Darjeeling and Gangtok doable in an average hatchback from Siliguri (mountain drive)?
Absolutely no problems in a hatchback.
The only time you might want (the ground clearance of) a 4x4 is if you have to drive over debris left on the road because of a landslide. If you wait sufficiently, that too will be cleared.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th December 2012, 22:12   #129
Team-BHP Support

Roads inside Gangtok aren't in very good condition though. You have to watch out at few places, especially if you are in Cars like Civic, Figo etc.

The bye-pass through Gangtok is in worst shape, especially near a small culvert. It gives me nightmares still.
Old 20th December 2012, 00:44   #130
BHPian

Thanks. Have to plan a trip on my Aveo U-VA then some time in next year. This time, plans already made for Kaziranga from Guwahati.
Old 26th February 2013, 16:57   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Reviving this thread...

I am interested in doing Ranchi> Siliguri> Gangtok & then to Nathu-la sometime in the coming months (exact time not decided as yet). The ride is the one in my signature. One route I guess is what is very much discussed for siliguri from darjeeling more near Panagarh, WB.

But I would like to know if there is a shorter route from the Barhi side? When I googled for a route, I was returned with this:

Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-untitled.jpg

This route shows 562 Kms from Barhi; add another 140 kms from Ranchi to barhi which would be 562+140= 702 kms to Siliguri.

In addition to this, you are most welcome to suggest your own route which I can take for this journey. Also, my major interest of this visit lies in the visit to Nathu-la Pass. PLease share your experiences about the same, if anyone has been there. Also, which time of the year, the pass is opened for visitors?

Thanks & regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 26th February 2013 at 17:13.
Old 26th May 2013, 12:59   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello folks!

Please suggest the best route from Ranchi to Siliguri. I am planning for darjeeling and gangtok. Please also let me know if june is ok for traveling to these places. I am little worried about the monsoons.
However MMI showed me the following route:
Ranchi>koderma>nawada>aliganj>lakhisarai>munger>bh agalpur>naugachia>purnea>dalkhola>kishanganj>silig uri.
Please suggest if the above route will be fine in terms of surface, safety and of course, free from jams.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 26th May 2013, 13:16   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello folks!

Please suggest the best route from Ranchi to Siliguri. I am planning for darjeeling and gangtok. Please also let me know if june is ok for traveling to these places. I am little worried about the monsoons.
However MMI showed me the following route:
Ranchi>koderma>nawada>aliganj>lakhisarai>munger>bh agalpur>naugachia>purnea>dalkhola>kishanganj>silig uri.
Please suggest if the above route will be fine in terms of surface, safety and of course, free from jams.

Thanks,
Saket
There are good & bad & safe & unsafe roads in the JH region.

I would take an alternative route:
Ranchi-Dhanbad-Gobindpur (NH2)-Kutlee-Dumka-Bhagalpur

The above route is good roads, fast & totally safe, day or night.

Forget what MMI says, a mathematician does not make a good human being
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 14:58   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are good & bad & safe & unsafe roads in the JH region.

I would take an alternative route:
Ranchi-Dhanbad-Gobindpur (NH2)-Kutlee-Dumka-Bhagalpur

The above route is good roads, fast & totally safe, day or night.

Forget what MMI says, a mathematician does not make a good human being
Sir, there is no MMI like you!

I checked the route recommended by you. If I am right, the route you suggested from gobindpur was :
Gobindpur>dumka>banka> bhagalpur> purnea>then kishanganj and siliguri. Is that right sir? Is it a longer route? I couldn't find Kutlee though.

And will first half of june will be an acceptable time of visiting Gangtok or do I need to postpone the trip till the monsoon ends?

Thanks a lot sir,
Best regards,
Saket
Old 26th May 2013, 22:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sir, there is no MMI like you!

I checked the route recommended by you. If I am right, the route you suggested from gobindpur was :
Gobindpur>dumka>banka> bhagalpur> purnea>then kishanganj and siliguri. Is that right sir? Is it a longer route? I couldn't find Kutlee though.

And will first half of june will be an acceptable time of visiting Gangtok or do I need to postpone the trip till the monsoon ends?

Thanks a lot sir,
Best regards,
Saket
My apologies - it is Kulti (pardon me for the typo).
From Dumka, it is via Bounsi, not Banka, which is also an alternative route.

Gangtok in JUne - totally avoidable. Raining like hell, landslides all over Sikkhim, nothing much to do since even the road to Nathu la & North SK gets closed down often.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks