Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 07:15   #1
BHPian

Western Karnataka - 6 days

All,

Just a 7 day plan I'm working out - many of these are places I've done as a bachelor - but this is a different thing - with the wife.

Goals are 2 fold :

1. Explore some lesser known places and roads around the ones mentioned below - please help add such places
2. Limit travel and soak up in the environs a bit more.

The ones in a * are a must.

Day 1 - Bangalore - Murudeshwara* ( Stay )
Day 2 - Murudeshwara - Yana* - Gokarna* - Murudeshwara ( Stay )
Day 3 - Murudeshwara - Bhatkal - Kogar - Sharavathy Valley - Kargal - Sagar - Sigandoor* ( barge ride )- Sagar - Thirthahalli ( Stay )
Day 4 - Thirthahalli - Balehonnur - Kalasa - Samse ( Stay at Silent Valley resort )
Day 5 - Samse - explore places like Gangamoola, Short visit to Kuduremukha, any other, Horanadu, back to the resort at Samse ( low travel day )
Day 6 - Samse- Kalasa- Kottigehara - Dharmasthala - Maani - Madikeri* ( Is Sampaje Ghat open now ) ? We need to join another family in Madikeri end of Day 6.

Is staying at Silent valley recommended ?

Thank you
Old 9th May 2011, 09:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Western Karnataka - 6 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Day 6 - Samse- Kalasa- Kottigehara - Dharmasthala - Maani - Madikeri* ( Is Sampaje Ghat open now ) ?

A very good and well thought out plan. Enjoy.

Sampaje ghat is still not open. You may have to go via Hassan or take the bad roads, but scenic Bisle ghat. (I did hear that if you bribe, you could still go in Sampaje - note that there are buses from Madikeri serving the locals, so the road must be OK. But this is neither recommended nor verified.

I found Silent Valley resort to be bit cramped. Though there privacy, the huts are placed too close to each other. They had not maintained the pool well and had several tadpoles for company! But I haven't heard of better options in that region.

Prasad
Old 9th May 2011, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering if the day 2 schedule would be a bit hectic or not.

Yana is approx a 45 min drive from Kumta. Also, it involves maybe 1.5 - 2 hours of walking + stairs climbing (depending on how fit you are). So, you should budget for at least 4 hours from NH17 Kumta to Yana and back. The walk through the forest (from the parking) isn't steep, but the stairs are numerous and steep in some places. The "Pradakshina" at the temple at Yana also has quite a few stairs before it passes through a big cave. Remember to wear good shoes and carry lots of water, as the walk to and fro can be tiring. Also, Om Beach at Gokarna is definitely worth more than a flying visit.

So, if you are strapped for time, a couple of alternatives would be to end your day 1 drive at Kumta, start day 2 from there or end your day 2 drive at Kumta and start day 3 from there. Hotel Pandurang International on NH17 in Kumta is a decent place to stay.

EDIT: Check this travelogue by aviorp: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbat-trip.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th May 2011 at 10:00.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:07   #4
BHPian

I think comfortably numb has a point.

Also since you would like to stay around environment. How about u start off early on Day 2 finish your Yana trip and plan to come back to Om Beach and stay there at Namaste Cafe for the night. Sunset / Sunrise at the beach and then head to your next destination. Gokarna beach being one of the most unspoilt beaches is a good place to halt.

Enjoy!
Old 9th May 2011, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All,

Just a 7 day plan I'm working out - many of these are places I've done as a bachelor - but this is a different thing - with the wife.

Goals are 2 fold :

1. Explore some lesser known places and roads around the ones mentioned below - please help add such places
2. Limit travel and soak up in the environs a bit more.

The ones in a * are a must.

Day 3 - Murudeshwara - Bhatkal - Kogar - Sharavathy Valley - Kargal - Sagar - Sigandoor* ( barge ride )- Sagar - Thirthahalli ( Stay )
Day 4 - Thirthahalli - Balehonnur - Kalasa - Samse ( Stay at Silent Valley resort )
Day 5 - Samse - explore places like Gangamoola, Short visit to Kuduremukha, any other, Horanadu, back to the resort at Samse ( low travel day )
Day 6 - Samse- Kalasa- Kottigehara - Dharmasthala - Maani - Madikeri* ( Is Sampaje Ghat open now ) ? We need to join another family in Madikeri end of Day 6.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
A very good and well thought out plan. Enjoy.

Sampaje ghat is still not open. You may have to go via Hassan or take the bad roads, but scenic Bisle ghat. (I did hear that if you bribe, you could still go in Sampaje - note that there are buses from Madikeri serving the locals, so the road must be OK. But this is neither recommended nor verified.

I found Silent Valley resort to be bit cramped. Though there privacy, the huts are placed too close to each other. They had not maintained the pool well and had several tadpoles for company! But I haven't heard of better options in that region.

Prasad
a) Dont have to come to Sagar from Sigandoor again. Reach Tirthahalli via Nittur. It is shorter. Check out this link
http://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
b) At Tirthahalli, Bananki Homestay is excellent. Great food and good people.
Homestay in Thirthahalli :: Bananki Home Stay
c) Just drop Silent valley. Dont even go near it. As Prasad rightly said, it is not a pool. It is swamp. We saw dead frogs in that when we went once and did not dare stay there as maintenanace is bad and we had to stay ina lodge in pre-homestay days. The property is well designed but badly manitained.
d) Upasana homestay in Samse is good. Stay put there. Karnataka Homestay :: Locate a leisure

Last edited by Fauji : 9th May 2011 at 11:24.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

airguitar, please consider the "heat" factor as travelling in heat maybe challenging...
Old 9th May 2011, 14:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

AG, why don't you try Bhagavathi Nature Camp in Kudremukh instead of Silent Valley. Looks good based on reviews I have heard.

As Fauji said, from Sigandur, instead of taking ride back on the barge to Sagar, you can continue via Nittur-Nagara-Thirthahalli road. No idea on road conditions though. I presume you are taking your swift.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 9th May 2011 at 14:04.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
All,

As others have expressed, Day 2 seem little hectic. Wondering why not drive to Gokarna on Day 1. You may have to drive only about 20kms more. On the 2nd day, you can start from Gokarana, visit Yana and rest in Murudeshwar.

Prasad
Old 9th May 2011, 17:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

When exactly do you plan to make this trip?

Why don't you do it this way - B'lore to Udupi. Spend some time roaming around Udupi/Malpe and then kaup beach (has a nice lighthouse) and Malpe beach.

From there, you could set off for Murudeshwar (100kms), have Biryani at Bhatkal on the way. Post that, you could go on to Gokarna (~3 hours) and spend the night there.

The night sky at Gokarna is beautiful; all the shacks provide wood for a bon-fire so it would be an evening/night well spent. You could take the ferry to Paradise/Half-moon beach and trek to Kudlu beach. Namaste cafe is a delight to have coastal food.

The next day, you could carry on with the rest of the itinerary.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

The itenarary is fine. Day 2 is doable. Need to leave early as you will do bit of climbing and walking around inYana which will tire you in humid conditions. Also visit the famous Marikamba temple in Sirsi and return back to Gokarna. Why don't you stay in Gokarna for night instead of going to Murdeshwar. Good home stays are athere and you will save time the next day which is a bit of drive. The road from Nittur to Tirthahalli is good. The road from Nittur to Sigandur should be good as it is a important shrine in the area. Also visit lovely Nagara fort on the way.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mango showers in last fortnight has turned whole region green and beautiful. Enjoy your drive
Old 9th May 2011, 23:32   #12
BHPian

Thanks for knocking some sense into the plan guys. I wasn't quite sure about Silent Valley so the question. From all your inputs + from other guys I spoke to today, it's been an easy decision to drop Silent Valley off. Thanks for reminding that I can make it to Thirthahalli without having to going back to Sagar.

Addy yes, on my swift.

Is yaana safer when traveling with a group or doesn't matter ?

Is Bale County a good value for money ? All I want is a quiet place to walk around - no boisterous drunken monkeys around the place.

How does this evolved plan look ? Other than Bale county, all other accomodation is inexpensive and I like that.

Bangalore -> Kumta - > Yaana* -> Gokarna* -> Murudeshwara -> Sharavathy Valley* -> Sagar -> Sigandoor* -> Nittur -> Nagara -> Thirthahalli -> Balehonnur -> Horanadu -> Kalasa -> Kottigehara -> Charmadi -> Dharmasthala -> Hassan -> Belur -> Hassan -> Somwarpet -> Madikeri

Day Stay
1 Kumta, Panduranga Intl
2 Murudeshwara, RNS
3 Vihangama, Thirthahalli
4 Bale county, Balehonnur
5 Again at Bale County ( or Sri Krishna in Hassan , can work the
details out )
6 ?, Madikeri

Last edited by airguitar : 9th May 2011 at 23:38.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Airguitar,

Tirthahalli to Balehonnur is a short distance and can be covered in an hour. Is there a necessity to stay in Bale honnur as you are staying at Vihangama in Tirthahalli unless you have specific reason. Alternately, you can stay put in Vihangama for another day to explore Tirthahalli surroundings - Kundadari, Kavaledurga, Bheemanakatte, Mandagadde etc. Check out my travelogue - posted when i was newbie (click on the photos for increasing isze) - for details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html

Pls don't forget the beautiful memorial to the great Kannada poet - KUVEMPU - on your way to Balehonnur from Tirthahalli. You will appreciate the place which is very serene and the heritage house which has been restored beautifully. It is called "Kavi Shyla" and is short of Koppa when you drive from Tirthahalli to Balehonnur. Adequate signage is there.
Old 11th May 2011, 08:24   #14
BHPian

Thank you all.

This is my nearly finalized itinerary, not perfect, but the best I could think of

Bangalore - Thirthahalli - Kuppali - Thirthahalli
Thirthahalli - Kundadri - Sigandoor - Thirthahalli
Thirthahalli - Sagar - Kargal - Kogar - Bhatkal - Idagunji - Kumta
Kumta - Yana - Gokarna ( time permitting ) or Sirsi Marikamba- Murudeshwara
Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Sagar - Thirthahalli - Balehonnur
Balehonnur - Horanadu - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Hassan - Madikeri
Old 11th May 2011, 10:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all.

This is my nearly finalized itinerary, not perfect, but the best I could think of

Bangalore - Thirthahalli - Kuppali - Thirthahalli
Thirthahalli - Kundadri - Sigandoor - Thirthahalli
Thirthahalli - Sagar - Kargal - Kogar - Bhatkal - Idagunji - Kumta
Kumta - Yana - Gokarna ( time permitting ) or Sirsi Marikamba- Murudeshwara
Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Sagar - Thirthahalli - Balehonnur
Balehonnur - Horanadu - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Hassan - Madikeri
My two cents

Depending on what time you leave, Tirthahalli today is comfortable 6 hour drive with a break of half hour. Vihangama is just three KMs from town. Hence on day one, you can cover Gajanur dam and Mandagadde Bird santuary - there were few birds last week wehn we were there (on the way after you leave Shimogga). After lunch, you can drive down to Kuppalli and also if interested go to Sringeri/Agumbe as well and watch sunset. It is a pleasant drive and road is good.

Dont miss nagara fort and if possible you can also visit Hittalamane falls near Nittur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks